We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

April? Weather/busy?

Alberta
Level Contributor
382 posts
26 reviews
68 helpful votes
April? Weather/busy?
Save

Hi. We were planning to go to Marival in December, but now have to go in April. What's the weather typically like then? And will it be busy, seeing as Easter/Spring Break will be over? Thanks.

Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
174 posts
14 reviews
54 helpful votes
1. Re: April? Weather/busy?
Save

I was at the Marival the last week of April this year and the weather was great. It wasn't very humid and the temperatures were 28-32 degrees. The waves were really good then too - perfect for boogie boarding.

The resort wasn't too full either so we didn't find it hard to get beach chairs or make dinner reservations. If I am able to go back next year, I'd probably go at the same time.

Alberta
Level Contributor
382 posts
26 reviews
68 helpful votes
2. Re: April? Weather/busy?
Save

What were the prices like at the end of April? They seem to be pretty high now, I'm hoping they drop!

Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
174 posts
14 reviews
54 helpful votes
3. Re: April? Weather/busy?
Save

We got married there and had a group of 20 so we had to book pretty early. We had a couple of friends who held out trying to get a better price, but it didn't drop much over the season.

In the past, I've always booked a month or two before and got better deals, but, in those cases, we were flexible about where we wanted to stay so we were able to take advantage of any deals out there.

I'm curious if anyone else has good advice about when the best time to book is to get the best price.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
4,775 posts
10 reviews
30 helpful votes
4. Re: April? Weather/busy?
Save

I usually go in December, but went in April last year. I was amazed at how great the weather was! It was hot, no humid, nice offshore breeze, and the mornings and evenings were cool enough to do activities. And the best part was that it was light out at night long enough to ride bikes and watch the sunset after dinner on a beach walk. I'd go again in April in a heartbeat! Someone mentioned the bikes were "closed" in the evenings, but we just went and got out bikes ourselves, and had no problems. Riding after dinner was great, we tried to eat fairly early so we could ride or walk the beach. We went all over, to the mall, to the path by the golf-course, or north to 'hotel watch'. We liked the evening outdoor activities more than the bars or restaurants. Wasn't expecting that! Prices dropped about one to 1 1/2 months before the trip.

Alberta
Level Contributor
382 posts
26 reviews
68 helpful votes
5. Re: April? Weather/busy?
Save

Are the bikes available on the resort? Sounds awesome!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
4,775 posts
10 reviews
30 helpful votes
6. Re: April? Weather/busy?
Save

The bikes were next to the parking lot at back past the disco. They have a guy there that writes your room down, but he always isn't there, so we just get the bikes ourselves, there was no gate. The bikes are one speed, some have normal brakes, some "reverse' brakes. It is great riding as the road is nice and wide, lined with palm trees. There are sidewalks you can use also if needed. If you go north towards Bucerias, you'll pass by a few nice hotels, (RIU, Samba, etc) then get to where the paved road ends and becomes sandy (at least it was in April). Stay left, pass by the security hut, ride the sand for a couple of minutes, and you'll be on a cobblestone road (very bumpy) which is the front entrace to the Royal Decameron. Then keep going, you are now in Bucerias, you'll pass restaurants, villas, Scott tours and hit a 'foot bridge'. Carry the bikes up the few steps, and you'll be at the Bucerias flea market, and the town proper. Great trip! But best done in the morning before it gets too hot.

If you bike south, you'll pass more hotels, and if you continue on you'll get to the Paradise Mall. Or if you turn off, there is a paved pathway next to the golf course that takes you to the Dolphin show area, (follow the Dolphin signs) . At night, the dolphin show is closed, but you can ride in the complex and look at condo's and get a little peak at the dolphin 'pools'. I'm not sure if the dolphins were too happy though.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
4,775 posts
10 reviews
30 helpful votes
7. Re: April? Weather/busy?
Save

Also, it wasn't too busy in April. There were some kids to keep things interesting, a good mix of people. The beach was great, the water temperature great, I had a blast boogie boarding in the waves, and I'm not a really good swimmer! I didn't kayak much as I am chicken in the waves, but everyone else, esp. teenage boys looked like they had a blast. The pool at the Grand side had lots of fun stuff going on, contests and stuff, and the pool at the Club side was nice and quiet for relaxing. Best of both worlds. The mini-golf was cute, even adults enjoyed it! and the shuffleboard was fun too. Good buffet, best al-la-cartes I've ever had, the gym was adequate, lots of bars to choose from, lots of chairs, shade etc. The bar upstairs by the Italian restaurant i(M&M bar) n the Grand tower was great for a sunset drink too, there was a lady playing piano, it had a nice view and the big screen tv in the Grand lobby bar was great for the sports lovers. They had good, bottled beer there too. OOhhh, I want to go back! We had won the trip so I guess I have nothing but good thinks to say! the only thing that 'bugged' me was that the buffet staff kept putting the tongs in the food, i.e. sitting on the salad, instead of on the plates where they should be, I just kept moving them when I went by..they must have thought I was strange!!! I didn't bother with the evening shows much, always too tired and wanted to avoid smokers (although it wasn't busy so it wasn't too hard to avoid smoke). Never made it to the disco, not my thing.

BIG WARNING, IF YOU CHECK IN DURING THE DAY, THE TIMESHARE PEOPLE WILL TRY TO PULL YOU ASIDE AND GET YOU TO WASTE YOU TIME LISTENING TO THE TALK UNDER THE GUISE OF A 'HOTEL TOUR". Tell them you want to go to your room immediately. Also, during the day the time share people sit in the grand lobby, and always are 'so friendly' and want to hear about what tours you would like or what spa services you would like. I had a lot of fun teasing them, and giving them very wierd answers, they were so confused! Ha ha.... A lot of people get sucked in by this, if you go to the M&M bar during the day you;ll see many tables set up with time share people. I felt sorry for them! Maybe they needed a free tour or something. Best to take a cab, bus or whatever and do things yourself anyway.

Alberta
Level Contributor
382 posts
26 reviews
68 helpful votes
8. Re: April? Weather/busy?
Save

Great, thanks for all the info! I'm getting so excited now!!

We're taking our kids, ages 10/14 with, I'm assuming it's quite safe there - I've read lots of posts of people that let their kids wander by themselves? Not sure I'll go that far, but it would be nice to sit in the M&M bar for a little while, just hubby and I? We were in the Mayan Riveria last April, and there was no me/him time at all, so I'd like to change that a little bit.

And did you use the boogie boards there or bring your own? Is the 'surf' that strong that my son may need a life jacket? And if so, do they have any? We have boogie boards if we need to bring our own, just not exactly sure how to get them there? Maybe a hockey bag??

And do you know if there's decent fishing around April?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
4,775 posts
10 reviews
30 helpful votes
9. Re: April? Weather/busy?
Save

You won't need a life jacket. The water is up to your chest at the most only, then the wave come and takes you for a ride! As I said, I am very timid in the water, a middle aged woman who can still boogie board with no problems. The deeper you go in the water, the bigger the wave break, I usually hung out further in with the smaller kids, but still go some fun rides! The boogie boards were plentiful. They have life-jackets for kayaks and sail boats only.

The rooms on the Club side do have stairs (there are actually stairs in a lot of places, i.e. to get to the M&M bar for example). But there are some fantastic 1BR's right across from the pool and next to the beach. We had a smaller room, farthest from the beach but it was right over the pools, nothing is really to far. I liked the club side as it was close to the quiet pool (no kids with me) and I could sit on the balcony and read in peace and quiet. A lot of people prefer the grand as it is next to the action, and very entertaining. Your kids will enjoy the activities on the grand side.

Your kids will be perfectly safe to wander off, most kids do at that age. The whole property is secured. They could easily go to the games room by themselves while you have quiet time together. Or play mini-golf or something.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
4,775 posts
10 reviews
30 helpful votes
10. Re: April? Weather/busy?
Save

I meant to say that some Club side rooms are on the ground level, fantasic walk out balconies!

Get answers to your questions about Nuevo Vallarta
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.