We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Velas-mens wear for dinner

Maryland
Level Contributor
127 posts
16 reviews
73 helpful votes
Grand Velas-mens wear for dinner
Save

Are there any restrictions for men and what they wear to dinner? We have been to resorts on the east coast of Mexico and in the carribean where men have to were long pants and closed toe shoes to dinner. He just wants to be prepared. Thanks!

Piaf
$$$$, French
Lucca
$$$$, Italian
Mediterraneo
$$ - $$$, Lebanese, Middle Eastern
Lake Lotawana, MO
Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
12 helpful votes
1. Re: Grand Velas-mens wear for dinner
Save

For the 3 nice resteraunts the restrictions you mentioned apply here also. At Azul the casual outdoor resteraunt you can where shorts.

San Antonio...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
19,069 posts
727 reviews
699 helpful votes
2. Re: Grand Velas-mens wear for dinner
Save

Men can wear casual pants and sandals, not flip flops. Casual dressy attire.

Sedona, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
76,796 posts
225 reviews
228 helpful votes
3. Re: Grand Velas-mens wear for dinner
Save

The printed information at GV says 'formal attire' for men in the 3 dinner venues.

This does NOT mean formal in terms of balck tie or tuxes, but it means long pants (no jeans) and casual resort wear. So no shorts, no t shirts and no beach or pool sandals. These are very nice restaurants and it makes sense to have the patrons dressing respectfully. If you want to be more casual, then the Azul restaurant will prepare anything you want for dinner in their open air palapa. The service is still better than most places that we frequent at home, and the food is very good.

IMO if you can afford to stay at GV, then you certainly can afford, and should know how, to dress properly.

Maryland
Level Contributor
127 posts
16 reviews
73 helpful votes
4. Re: Grand Velas-mens wear for dinner
Save

We know how to dress for the occasion and are well traveled having stayed at some top class hotels such as Ritz Carltons. As far as beachy vacations all of the resorts that we have stayed at (Secrets Capri, Secrets Excellence, Secrets Punta Cana and Couples Sans Souci in Jamaica) all have dress codes and are expensive. We do not pack lightly unfortunately and my husband just wanted to make sure that he packed closed toe shoes if needed. They are required at some dining areas in the above mentioned resorts. Funny one can spend 5 grand for 9 days in Mexico and have to "dress" for dinner but we spent double that in French Polynesia and dinner was much more casual, flip flop approved.

San Antonio...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
19,069 posts
727 reviews
699 helpful votes
5. Re: Grand Velas-mens wear for dinner
Save

I have to agree with you there, I feel when at a beach resort or such the dress should be dressy casual, not formal. Closed toe shoes and long pants can be quite hot in Mexico as well as fact that it is really hard to pack light when you have to pack all kinds of dressy stuff for a beach, relaxing vacation. It is nice to see people dress up but resort casual should be sufficient IMHO.

Anyway enjoy your trip, it is a lovely resort.

When we were at the French restuarant there my husband wore open toed sandals, leather, casual but neat , and ugh, long pants and a short sleeve casual Mexican style shirt. I of course wors a dress and sandals. Resort wear type clothes.

You could also email the resort, if you so desired and ask them specifically what they mean by formal. Frmal in Mexico can be quite different than in states, as I said my husband wore this Mexican shirt, cannot think of name right now, short sleeve but anyway it is considered a dress shirt in Mexico.

Best wishes.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
14,688 posts
6. Re: Grand Velas-mens wear for dinner
Save

It's funny but when we were there I looked around at what people were wearing, including shoes (some people must have wondered if I had a foot fetish). The only sandals I remember on men were the closed toed kind (I don't know what their called, but they have air holes). Mexican shirts are considered dressy, or just a short sleeved shirt is ok, but definitely long pants. I'd also pack a pair of loafers or other closed toed shoes as well.

Dressy sandals for women are definitely ok. The hostess in Lucca wears high-heeled very open sandals and a cocktail dress.

Sedona, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
76,796 posts
225 reviews
228 helpful votes
7. Re: Grand Velas-mens wear for dinner
Save

You're on the right track with closed toed sandals. And since you will be dressed well from the ground up, you might even get by with open toes as long as you're wearing long pants and look nice.

Get answers to your questions about Nuevo Vallarta
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.