We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi or Rental Car

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
39 posts
54 reviews
34 helpful votes
Taxi or Rental Car
Save

I have lived in Mexico and plenty of driving experience in Latam. We are flying into PV airport and staying WAY out in Grand Paladium (North near punta Villela). We are there for a week and would like to look around.

How bad are the insurance shakedowns and are shuttles reasonable?

Advice? Thanks!

9 replies to this topic
Concord, California
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
20,310 posts
222 reviews
367 helpful votes
1. Re: Taxi or Rental Car
Save

With your experience driving in Mexico --- and the location you'll be staying in ---- it would be a good idea to rent a car, especially when we don't really recommend the buses these days, due to COVID still being active in the area.

To avoid any auto rental insurance scams, shake-downs or whatever you want to term them, those seem to happen frequently when people rent cars with the main US chain rental companies HOWEVER we here on the forums have a great solution for you.

Generally we all recommend Gecko Car Rental company ---- a local company with headquarters in Bucerias, a bit south of where you are staying. They will pick you up at the airport. Customer service is outstanding, everything is up-front (no shakedowns) and it has a many year reputation for very happy customers.

Even those of us who don't rent cars in the area (I've done so in Mexico but not in the Vallarta area as the bus has always worked for us in the past and taxis are cheap) enthusiastically recommend it because we've read a number of horror stories on all the Vallarta area forums from people who rented other places AND we've all met people who have rented from Gecko and are extremely happy with their "problem-free" customer service, as well as the variety of the vehicles.

All the information is on the Gecko site ---- just Google Gecko Car Rental Bucerias Mexico and all the information to answer your questions will be right there.

Happy travels.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
39 posts
54 reviews
34 helpful votes
2. Re: Taxi or Rental Car
Save

Perfect answer, I always try to find "the" local rental shop. Thank you!!

Concord, California
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
20,310 posts
222 reviews
367 helpful votes
3. Re: Taxi or Rental Car
Save

You're welcome. From what shows up here, you can't go wrong with Gecko. The company has been in business a long-time and is a trusted vendor in the area year after year Good luck and please let us know how it went.

My guess is that others will come along and recommend Gecko also. Periodically, over time, someone will post (mostly on the Puerto Vallarta forum) that they had a good experience with one of the chains but with all the negatives, it seems too risky to me. With your Mexico driving background, Nayarit will be simple for you to negotiate. The "bonus" that they bring the car to the airport for you sort of makes it a no brainer.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
287 reviews
94 helpful votes
4. Re: Taxi or Rental Car
Save

Before we moved here, we always rented a car for Mexican vacations. Agree with Marley, Gecko is the way to go. Have personally rented their cars. Guys are friendly, English speaking and the cars are clean and in good shape. They have two locations; one airport proximate and the other in Bucerías. Good luck and enjoy your visit.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
551 posts
5. Re: Taxi or Rental Car
Save

Agree with all of the above. To really take advantage of the area, rent a rugged vehicle. Gecko explains that on their site. Enjoy!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
154 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
6. Re: Taxi or Rental Car
Save

Could someone please recommend a car rental agency for pickup at PVR and return at ZLO 2 weeks later. Thank you

PS: I tried to contact Gecko but no reply. I don't think they allow drop off at another location.

Edited: 11 May 2021, 15:16
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
39 posts
54 reviews
34 helpful votes
7. Re: Taxi or Rental Car
Save

I have driven across Mexico multiple times over a number of years. I wouldn’t drive from PV to ZHO today… that’s some dangerous country.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
154 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
8. Re: Taxi or Rental Car
Save

Thanks David. We plan to rent a car during our one week stay in Puerto Vallarta then drive on to Manzanillo (ZLO) for another week. By ZHO, did you mean Zihuatanejo by any chance?

We would appreciate any other advice on this drive from Puerto Vallarta to Manzanillo. Thank you

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
287 reviews
94 helpful votes
9. Re: Taxi or Rental Car
Save

I agree with a former post that drop off of rental car(one way rental) is probably not going to happen here in Mexico like you can in the US.

Reply to: Taxi or Rental Car
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nuevo Vallarta
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.