We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Post Covid trip to Nuevo Vallarta April 11-30, 2021

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
127 posts
62 reviews
88 helpful votes
First Post Covid trip to Nuevo Vallarta April 11-30, 2021
Save

This was our first Post Covid trip back to Mexico. We had both received our Moderna vaccines back in February and were ready for sun, relaxation and a visit to the dentist (ugh). Our non stop flight on Alaska from LAX to Puerto Vallarta was almost full. People were generally cooperative with mask wearing on the plane, some needing reminders by the attendants. We were fortunate to be the only plane to disembark when we arrived, so with all our paperwork done before hand, we breezed through the airport in 20 minutes. We caught a taxi in front of the airport (344 pesos) and were quickly at Paradise Village. Temperatures were taken when we entered, hand sanitizer spritzed on our hands before we were allowed to proceed to check in. Noteable at the resort was that all staff wore masks appropriately, with some also wearing face shields. Hotel guests were not as cooperative with mask wearing even though there were signs all over mandating masks. Less than half of the guests wore masks walking around outside. almost none at the beach or pool.

Although Paradise Village is one of the older resorts, it is well maintained. Rooms are very clean and housekeeping takes great pride in their work. The staff are friendly and eager to help. Since capacity and tourism is down, not all the hotel restaurants are open. We prefer to eat at restaurants outside the resort anyway, so that was not a problem. There were not any theme nights as in the past due to Covid restrictions. Social distancing was observed with seating well spaced.

We walked down to Fajita Republic for our first dinner. They took our temps and spritzed on hand sanitizer. I had very good chile rellenos and DH had his favorite dish, Oxacan fish cooked in a banana leaf. With 2 margaritas, the bill was about 360 pesos.

The next day we took the taxi to Dentoamerica, located in Plaza Lago Real (same place as the NV Walmart, 90 pesos) for cleaning and a very thorough examination. The office is clean with lots of new high tech equipment, the dentists all seem highly competent, and we both received the best teeth cleaning of our lives. We decided to proceed with their recommendations and completed some pretty extensive dental work. We were both very happy with the results and will be returning in September for follow-up work. Prices are good and we highly recommend them for anyone considering dental work.

After our cleaning and before we commenced the dental work, we took the taxi over to Eddies (60 pesos) and met friends for our last dinner out for a while.

Since soft food was in the picture, we stocked up at Costco and Walmart and ate at the condo for the next 2 weeks. Mask wearing at Costco was good. Although it was mandated in Walmart and the mall, some people had them around their neck or below their noses once they entered the store. There were temperature scanners at the entrance of the mall and many of the stores. Guards at the entrances made sure that everyone entering wore their mask and had their temp scanned.

We celebrated the return to eating out with our last meal at Fajita Republic (again). That has become our favorite place in Nuevo Vallarta and we are sorry that it will be closed for their annual holiday during our next visit in September.

Paradise Village arranges for a company to come in every morning to provide Covid Testing for 800 pesos per person and we got our tests on Wednesday before our departure. We got emails with the results that afternoon. We had them printed out at the Concierge Desk and I also scanned them to put them into the Verifly app provided by Alaskan airlines. I had completed the steps on the Verifly app on the morning of departure and we were directed to the shorter check in line. Those that had to complete the paperwork at the airport were in a much longer line, so it paid to do my homework ahead of time. The flight home was also full and since we had Global Entry, passing through at LAX was fast.

In retrospect, we felt very safe in Mexico since we were fully vaccinated. The rate of Covid is very high in Mexico and vaccinations have been going slowly. Compliance with safety mandates seems to be at par with many of the American communities. Everything is open, capacity is limited by the laws of the province and businesses seem to be compliant with the rules and recommendations. We look forward to our next trip to Mexico, even though it is to see the dentist.

22 replies to this topic
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
559 posts
18 reviews
73 helpful votes
1. Re: First Post Covid trip to Nuevo Vallarta April 11-30, 2021
Save

Thanks for your report! Glad you enjoyed your trip.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
127 posts
62 reviews
88 helpful votes
2. Re: First Post Covid trip to Nuevo Vallarta April 11-30, 2021
Save

Thank you. We did have a good trip.

Concord, California
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
20,310 posts
222 reviews
367 helpful votes
3. Re: First Post Covid trip to Nuevo Vallarta April 11-30, 2021
Save

Excellent comprehensive report, grmmybtty. I was about ready to PM you and ask you how you liked our dentist on your first visit but you took care of it.

I have more questions on that, but will PM you on those. Like you, dental work is one of the main reasons I'm going down there next month. Tired of paying USA dental bills here (even with insurance) over the past 16 months.

Believe it or not, the taxi to/from Plaza Lago Real cost more in January, 2020 than you paid recently. I wonder if the taxi rates have gone down during the pandemic.

Paradise Village sounds lovely. I'll look into staying there in the future. I have RCI exchange --- Paradise Village has Interval International exchange so it's never popped up here for a reservation.

Also, thanks for reporting on Fajita Republic. Glad to hear it's still open. Last time I was there, I also had the Chile Relleno --- it was good and big. It's hard to get a good one (or one that meets my taste) down there I've found, so will plan on checking it out again. I know the little place in front of it (on the road) went out of business awhile back. Is there anything new in there now?

Thanks for the updates on airports, flights, Verifly and COVID testing, etc. I'm not used to flying with a stop (there were no nonstops scheduled when I made reservations) and I'm getting stuck in LAX on the way down (also Alaska) so hope my trip through LAX is equally smooth which it hasn't been in the past.

You ate at the condo for 2 weeks? Wow. I'm used to cooking most meals when both of us travel together but hoping not to do too much cooking this time, traveling alone. Any other restaurants in addition to Fajita Republic and Eddie's. There are several down there in your area (staying slightly south of you) that I want to return to or try out for the first time.

Thanks for taking the time to update those of us who are planning our trips.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
127 posts
62 reviews
88 helpful votes
4. Re: First Post Covid trip to Nuevo Vallarta April 11-30, 2021
Save

Hi Lynne,

We ate at the condo for 2 weeks because of the results of my husband's dental work. He could not chew anything and was restricted to super soft foods, which meant lots of smoothies, creamed soups, tuna and eggs. There are not a lot of independent restaurants on our side of NV. We don't care too much for Riviera Grill and Ciao. Las Islas was closed when we walked by on our first night, so we went straight to Fajita Republic. There is a new Taqueria next to it to replace Dinamita which closed a few years ago. 4x4 was also closed. Other than Eddies, we did not taxi over to the other side of the Marina for dinner. Its too bad that what seems so close from Paradise Village is a 10 minute taxi ride away. If you are staying at the Vidanta properties, you have several more options on your side of the marina. Our friends, who stayed at the Grand Bliss had a really great meal at Ochos Tostadas.

We found that taxis were about the same price, if not more than on previous trips. It cost 250 pesos to go to Costco from Paradise Village where it used to cost only 200 pesos. The exchange rate is about the same. Drivers were pretty good about wearing their masks appropriately, only one needed a request to pull it up over his nose. Some would ask if we wanted the windows down, but it was split between those who wanted to keep them closed for the ac and those that had them down w/o ac.

Please PM me re dentist. I'll let you know more about our experience.

Betty

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
287 reviews
94 helpful votes
5. Re: First Post Covid trip to Nuevo Vallarta April 11-30, 2021
Save

Thanks for the great report. You might consider the Riviera Grill on your next visit, we found it quite enjoyable and La Dolce Vita is our favorite Italian restaurant in Nuevo.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
127 posts
62 reviews
88 helpful votes
6. Re: First Post Covid trip to Nuevo Vallarta April 11-30, 2021
Save

Thanks littlemomma.

We ate at Riviera Grill a few years ago and didn't really like it, but it could have been an off day. We'll try it again. We passed La Dolce Vita several times on our way to Dentoamerica. Good to know that it is a good place to eat.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
5,831 posts
12 reviews
23 helpful votes
7. Re: First Post Covid trip to Nuevo Vallarta April 11-30, 2021
Save

It’s post covid?? That’s news to me.

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
611 posts
130 reviews
57 helpful votes
8. Re: First Post Covid trip to Nuevo Vallarta April 11-30, 2021
Save

Thank you for the trip report. We are at Paradise Village as I type this.

Edited: 04 May 2021, 11:23
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
127 posts
62 reviews
88 helpful votes
9. Re: First Post Covid trip to Nuevo Vallarta April 11-30, 2021
Save

It’s Post Covid for us. We’re fully vaccinated, still keeping precautions, but we can hug our grandkids and travel again.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
127 posts
62 reviews
88 helpful votes
10. Re: First Post Covid trip to Nuevo Vallarta April 11-30, 2021
Save

Hope you have a great time.

Reply to: First Post Covid trip to Nuevo Vallarta April 11-30, 2021
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nuevo Vallarta
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.