We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Life in Puerto Vallarta during COVID?

Seattle, Washington
13 posts
Life in Puerto Vallarta during COVID?
Save

Hi Everyone.

Our very first and only trip to Mexico was Feb 2020 (a month before the Pandemic hit). We had the most amazing time! We LOVED the beaches, restaurants, and shopping at Bucerias! We stayed at the La Estancia. This time we booked at the sister resort next door (Villa Del Palmar). We arrive May 26 for 7 days. We cancelled many vacation plans over the last year and we are so anxious to go back and do some tourist stuff.

I looked through several forums but couldn't find what to expect now that we are in the COVID-19 way of living. Are things closed down? Can we still shop the market? Can we still walk the beach and find amazing places to eat? What about tourist shows/activities?

Thanks for any replies.

4 replies to this topic
Aylmer, Canada
Level Contributor
5,093 posts
19 reviews
20 helpful votes
1. Re: Life in Puerto Vallarta during COVID?
Save

You should ask your questions on the PV forum as you will get a lot of replies there. It sounds like life is somewhat normal there, though you need to have had your vaccines and still practice social distancing, hand washing, mask wearing. The beach is open, so are restaurants etc. It's not like the good old days yet.

Concord, California
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
20,310 posts
222 reviews
367 helpful votes
2. Re: Life in Puerto Vallarta during COVID?
Save

Besides what Funky recommended, it sounds like you spent much of your time on your last vacation in Feb 2020 in northern Nuevo Vallarta and Bucerias....which is where you'll be this time also.

Nuevo Vallarta is in the Mexican state of Nayarit while Puerto Vallarta is in the state of Jalisco, so some things are different, varying by state. For example, the regulations on restaurants and the beaches were different per state earlier in the pandemic.

There are a lot of ideas and information on the Puerto Vallarta TripAdvisor Forum, but the current protocol in Nayarit (where you are going) could vary. You'll find loads of information about the airport (in Jalisco State) on the PV forum, so do look there.

As for what is current in the area where you are staying, you might also want to post your question on the Bucerias TripAdvisor Forum as there are a number of ex-pats there who have lived there during the full pandemic and who are active posters, who might be able to give you local tips on Nayarit State where you'll be.

My friends who live full-time in the area tell me things are still not back to normal as the rate of vaccination isn't nearly as high as it is here in the US. The number of people who wear masks is supposedly higher in Nayarit resorts though, according to the people I've talked to who live there in Vallarta.

Enjoy Villa del Palmar Flamingos. We stay there too and the beautiful beach is obviously the same as the one in front of La Estancia, being next door to each other.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
287 reviews
94 helpful votes
3. Re: Life in Puerto Vallarta during COVID?
Save

Hola and things are winding down now as we are going into the low season. During those dates in May, many of the seasonal restaurants in Bucerías and Nuevo may be already closed. The beaches along the bay are open, most businesses and restaurants that operate year round will be open, including gyms and fitness centers, shopping malls and Costco.

The expectation is you wear a mask while outdoors and use hand sanitizer. Taking temperatures has become a bit more lax but depends where you go. My circle of friends have mostly received both vaccines, so while we still follow protocols, we are certainly more apt to live a "normal" life.

I agree that you will probably get more answers if you post this same question on the PV forum but be aware that you could get some negativity. Enjoy your visit.

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
611 posts
130 reviews
57 helpful votes
4. Re: Life in Puerto Vallarta during COVID?
Save

Grocery Stores are open, if that is what you mean by market. Beach open.

I'm sure there are some, but I have not seen any masks worn on the beach where we are staying. And generally 1 in 20 outside have been wearing masks as my direct observation so others will vary. This is the resort areas of Nuevo including the 5 mile path from Paradise Plaza to Bucerias, and 5 miles of other walking. I cannot speak for in town. Employees on the clock wear masks outdoors.

Indoor mitigation, very good - masks, temps, hand sanitizer. Everything seems to be operating fairly normal for this time of year, I'm not involved in any large gatherings nor been to any bars, so they may have some State imposed restrictions I don't know about. Buses are running and the little vans.

Reply to: Life in Puerto Vallarta during COVID?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nuevo Vallarta
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.