We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Luxxe/Grand Mayan Room Questions

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
189 posts
21 reviews
107 helpful votes
Grand Luxxe/Grand Mayan Room Questions
Save

We have been going to the Vidanta property since 2008. So much has changed (a lot for the better), but I really do miss the old days of the easy entrance and the train! I also miss how easy it was to decipher what your room was like and where it was going to be. We are booked on an RCI Exchange into a GL Villa, 1 bedroom, 1.5 bath this coming Nov. Anyone know which building(s) these units are located in? I have read some reviews and it appears, perhaps, these rooms, since they have the much larger decks, are corner units or higher up? We have stayed in a GL 2bd Suite, which was nice, but seemed the basic, entry level GL unit. The room descriptions give no indication of location.

Also, we are RCI Platinum members and it appears what we booked is only available to Platinum members. Can anyone speak to that experience? When we stayed at the GL Jungle Riviera Maya last Nov we booked through our RCI Platinum membership and we were treated like royalty, told that we were part of the Registry Collection, were given a top floor unit with view of water park, vs other RCI members we ran into that were on bottom floor with storm curtains pulled down over their patios and maintenance would not open them up - they were basically living in caves!

Lastly, I have heard sales rumors Vidanta is changing the Grand Mayans into another version of Grand Luxxe. We toured a mock set up in the Riveria Maya last Nov. Any word on when that transition may be happening in NV? Is it already happening? Just curious. Don't want to take a dog and pony show again just to hear about it and waste half a day of vacation!

Thanks!

16 replies to this topic
San Antonio...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
19,205 posts
732 reviews
703 helpful votes
1. Re: Grand Luxxe/Grand Mayan Room Questions
Save

The GL Villas are usually to my knowledge corner units yes. Buildings vary like everything there lol.

Constant construction. Would love to hear your input when you return.

Concord, California
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
20,310 posts
222 reviews
367 helpful votes
2. Re: Grand Luxxe/Grand Mayan Room Questions
Save

Interesting, on the Grand Mayans, since that was part of your question. Any idea if the Nuevo Vallarta GM was mentioned? Where did you get your "sales rumors?"

We don't own at Vidanta but stay there on RCI (not Platinum) but Grand Mayan is our favorite of the three we've stayed at. I wouldn't like to see it turned into anything more fancy that it is. It's very nice --- resort-casual. Upscale. Huge 1-bedrooms. Haven't been into the other rooms.

The top feature on Grand Mayan Nuevo (IMO) is that it is the resort closest to the beach. Resort and pools are right on the beach and if someone wants to get right to the beach, to sit under a palapa, go to the turtle sanctuary or escape north on the beach to the bus and outside restaurants, you are right there.

Like you ---- we miss the old accessible entrance/exit. We were there the week in December, 2015 when they shut down the old entrance/exit and started the new one. We had taken a mid-week overnight elsewhere the day before and came back on the bus and taxi and could NOT get into the complex. Even the Nuevo taxis did not know how to get in. Took awhile that day.

For the rest of that week, there were long, angry lines of yelling-people standing at the Concierge Desk, complaining. Also, our taxi drivers were cussing over the new access. They told us they were paying much more in fuel costs, with that circuitous winding route in and out. Shortly after, they increased their fares.

Edited: 11 March 2021, 04:18
San Antonio...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
19,205 posts
732 reviews
703 helpful votes
3. Re: Grand Luxxe/Grand Mayan Room Questions
Save

Marly, I am not positive but I think maybe the OP is referring to Platinum which is the upgrade inRCI if I recall correctly. I am unable this moment to verify that.

When we drove the highway near there in Jan this year the ? Gondolas? ( name) were running back and forth across road. They appeared empty.

I believe it will be ( Vidanta) a never ending construction site, keep changing to get folks to keep upgrading lol.

We hate the new entrance as well.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
189 posts
21 reviews
107 helpful votes
4. Re: Grand Luxxe/Grand Mayan Room Questions
Save

@MarlySF - We did a sales pitch at the Vidanta Riviera Maya this past November and we were told both that property and the NV Grand Mayan would be updated and we were shown a model unit. It was not clear if all of the NV GM would be remodeled or a portion. I am not sure how it is going to happen, since the model unit had a deeper deck/patio, which meant the interior part of the room was smaller. Furnishings were definitely more GL. Honestly, the only improvement I was overjoyed about (as we stay at Vidanta properties often) were drawers in the bathrooms! So happy to be able to store my 'stuff' in drawers instead of vanity or on the towel shelf below sinks.

We have stayed at the GM numerous times and definitely enjoy the location, especially when we have our daughter with us who loves the lazy river and slide. When it is just my husband and I we prefer the GL as it is quieter and the pools over there are more manageable (i.e. less kids). Excited to see the new Beachland!

2 posts
5. Re: Grand Luxxe/Grand Mayan Room Questions
Save

@Brenda V - We are probably booking at Vidanta Riveria Maya, Grand Luxxe soon. The lazy river you mention - is that at Jungala? Or part of one of the pools at the complex? Thanks.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
189 posts
21 reviews
107 helpful votes
6. Re: Grand Luxxe/Grand Mayan Room Questions
Save

Hi Christine, I was speaking about the lazy river at the Nuevo Vallarta property. I believe there is a lazy river in Jungala, the water park within the Riveria Maya property. We did not go to the park, as it was just my husband and I. It was about $45usd pp/day. We had a view of the waterslides from our room. When we were there in Nov, several of the pools were closed due to Covid. If you are staying at the GL I would highly suggest the beach club area, get there early. Also, if you want peace and quiet the GL pool was nice and just a few steps away from the ocean.

2 posts
7. Re: Grand Luxxe/Grand Mayan Room Questions
Save

Thanks Brenda V!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
85 posts
10 reviews
9 helpful votes
8. Re: Grand Luxxe/Grand Mayan Room Questions
Save

The GL Villa is a corner unit, but, since you have the 1 bedroom 1-1/2 bath unit, it will be just like the regular GL unit with the larger deck and dipping pool - this deck is the size of the width of the LR and bedroom. This one has a kitchen.

The 2nd bedroom is on the corner side and has a sitting area (with sofa bed) and a small deck and there is a 2nd deck the width of the bedroom on the bedroom side.. It has a microwave, small fridge and coffeemaker in the sitting area. These are usually in buildings 1, 2, & 3.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
189 posts
21 reviews
107 helpful votes
9. Re: Grand Luxxe/Grand Mayan Room Questions
Save

Thank you, Pittle.

California
Level Contributor
402 posts
81 reviews
99 helpful votes
10. Re: Grand Luxxe/Grand Mayan Room Questions
Save

We are owners at GL. When we stayed in a 2 bedroom Villa unit, we had a third area that could count as a half bedroom. I don’t remember the 1 bdrm. side of the GL Villa being any different from the GL 1 bdrm. in size. Our balcony runs the length of the bedroom and the living room.

We used to come every year but for the last 5 years, we have been doing a lot of cruising. The resort has undergone so many changes. The first full day, I logged over 15,000 steps. Building 5 has a pool and steak restaurant on its rooftop with gorgeous views of PV and NV. The Beachland area is great! The food carts are a great idea and helps making being locked in more acceptable. They have tacos for 50 pesos each. They also have churros, corn on the cob or esquite style like on the PV malecón. Beer. Various drinks. Other food items. It’s a great place to eat informally just above the beach while watching the sunset.

The Marketplace has so many great offerings at not much higher prices than outside and you don’t need to pay for a taxi ride to Walmart.

We saw them scoop baby turtles out of the sand upon birth at the sanctuary while walking back from Eddie’s.

I wanted to ride the gondola but I was told they don’t sell tickets. BUT if you go for an Owner’s Update, it includes a gondola ride. No thanks!

Regarding trading in—don’t they charge a hefty resort fee these days?

Reply to: Grand Luxxe/Grand Mayan Room Questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nuevo Vallarta
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.