We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No Non Smoking Rooms

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
57 helpful votes
No Non Smoking Rooms
Save

We haven't been to the Riu Vallarta but are planning to go in January 2008 so I have watching this board carefully. I just wanted to make a comment on the latest review I read about the Riu having only smoking rooms. Everyone goes away with their own assessments of their vacations but I just wanted to point out that we have been going to Mexico for quite a few years and have never been to a resort in Mexico with designated Smoking or Non Smoking Rooms. That is just the way it is in Mexico. It is always a good idea to go to Mexico with an open mind for their country does not abide by the same laws, rules, regulations or standards as ours. Just a thought to make a vacation enjoyable! :)

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
2,610 posts
36 reviews
96 helpful votes
1. Re: No Non Smoking Rooms
Save

That's a good point for people to be aware of. It's the same in the Dominican Republic and Cuba. There are really no "non smoking" rooms. I think that there are rooms that are more likely to have non smokers though (I guess the resort works this out) so that there is less chance of smell. I've been in many room that have no smoke smell but have ashtrays in them (another reason for this is that if a smoker visits your room they have an ashtray).

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
57 helpful votes
2. Re: No Non Smoking Rooms
Save

And in Jamaica. My theory is that alot of the Caribbean Islands and Mexico have a live and let live attitude. Plus their infrastructure such as lighting, water, sewer, telephone service etc.... are so fragil that basically they have much more to worry about. Not only that - they have the problem of musty - closed in rooms - I know what it's like fighting that in our country in an area that is land locked and only warm 4 or 5 months of the year - can't imagine having to work with that all year long!

A friend once told me that in Jamaica, people only purchase clothing for a few months at a time, because with the salt water, the warm conditions along with the rainfall, the clothes simply deteriorate.

Yes, "nonsmoking" only means that the ash tray was removed from the room. :) I am not trying to sound critical - I love Mexico, enjoy their people, love the weather especially in our winter time, and admire their attitudes. I remember when Hurricanes Katrina and Wilma hit Mexico. You never read that the people felt they were owed anything. They just went to work to clean things up.

I just think it would be unfortunate for people to go there with those expectations and be disappointed as apparently that person was.

Airdrie, Canada
Level Contributor
1,517 posts
21 reviews
77 helpful votes
3. Re: No Non Smoking Rooms
Save

Not true. There are hotels with non somoking rooms.

Club Maeva- Manzanillo

Las Brisas Hutulaco

Catalonia Yucatan- Puerto Adventuras

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
57 helpful votes
4. Re: No Non Smoking Rooms
Save

We were at the Catalonia two years ago and no-one asked our smoking preferences. From what I observed with over 50 people in our group, if anyone grabbed an ash tray, none of the hotel staff even acknowledged it.

I think every resort tries to keep their rooms as fresh as possible. But I do think they have large obstacles to overcome.

5. Re: No Non Smoking Rooms

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 21:23
Get answers to your questions about Nuevo Vallarta
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.