We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time for "sell offs"

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
524 posts
Best time for "sell offs"
Save

My Husband and I are going to try and wing a Mexican vacation next February 2008. We both have the type of jobs where we can leave in a week or two notice. We stayed at the RDC last year and loved it. But we also booked 8 or 9 months in advance and paid big $$$$. It cost us $5,125.80 for a 2 week stay. So we thought we'd try for a sell off next time. We will be flying out of Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. Any suggestion on when to start looking for deals and what web site would / is the best for Winnipeg departures????

Thanx in advance. Can hardly wait for winter!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
2,610 posts
36 reviews
96 helpful votes
1. Re: Best time for "sell offs"
Save

Well, the flights to RDC (with Nolitours) are only going to run from Christmas until the end of February(last flight for 2 weeks is Feb.23). I'm thinking there won't be any sell offs that amount to much. Try for an early booking bonus if you can. I can't see you going cheaper than what you did last year. I'd suggest February 16th departure because then you miss one day less due to the new stat holiday!

Oh, also, with Nolitours there is no discounting allowed by any travel agent or online agency. Therefore head over to your local travel agent as everyone will have the exact same price.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
562 posts
3 reviews
57 helpful votes
2. Re: Best time for "sell offs"
Save

You are talking about the top of the high tourist season in PV. Travel companies only discount prices when they can't fill the plane seats and hotel rooms they have already booked. We rarely see any "deals" during this time of year from the US anyway. Sometimes you can catch a break on a last-minute fare, which sounds like it would work for you. In that case, you really only need to start looking a few weeks ahead of the earliest time you could actually leave.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
263 posts
2 reviews
55 helpful votes
3. Re: Best time for "sell offs"
Save

What about sell-offs during the summer months? Are they hard to come by?

United States
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
63 reviews
66 helpful votes
4. Re: Best time for "sell offs"
Save

I can't comment on travel from Canada in February but I would suspect that Februray would be tough for "selloffs" in PV. February is high season. And in the states public schools usually extend a weeks winter vacation to students. Many families travel during this time and PV seems to be getting more and more popular - even with people from the east coast. Some of my family visited us last year during Feb and we met families from the west coast whose kids were also on winter break.

NW Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
17 helpful votes
5. Re: Best time for "sell offs"
Save

You could always try Sunseekers or Sun Holidays. We usually use Sunseekers and they also give 10% off. Good Luck!

Bonnie

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
2,610 posts
36 reviews
96 helpful votes
6. Re: Best time for "sell offs"
Save

They can't give 10% off for RDC. The touroperator does not allow discounting of any kind. I like it actually as you don't have to hunt around and their prices tend to be the best out there. If the tour operator has a sale then everyone has the same price as well. Puerto Vallarta was pretty much sold out already in October for January last year. February saw very little in the way of sales. The fligth fill right up. Another reason the flights fill up is that there are alot of people with timeshares down there and they have to get there so they but air only seats.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
5,795 posts
12 reviews
23 helpful votes
7. Re: Best time for "sell offs"
Save

We often book with selloffvacations.com . If you can leave with no notice you can get some very good deals. Last Feb some friends of ours flew to PV for $197 Cdn plus tax. If you are not fixed when you can go and want to chance leaving it til last minute, you can get some amazing deals.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
917 posts
1 review
5 helpful votes
8. Re: Best time for "sell offs"
Save

try booking your trip through expedia away from the Charter packages. that way you can cater the dates that work for you at the hotel you like. downside is that you will have to book this at the time of booking. We book RDC for Christmas vacation around July. RDC is basically 100 % occupied from January to April so sell offs are not that common. Popular hotel.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
917 posts
1 review
5 helpful votes
9. Re: Best time for "sell offs"
Save

PS - 2008 prices for RDC are not up on expedia yet.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,194 posts
24 reviews
127 helpful votes
10. Re: Best time for "sell offs"
Save

We booked the RDC on line - it was Transat Vacations out of Regina. I checked both yourtraveltickets.com and selloffvacations.com. The price on yourtraveltickets was $25 cheaper per person that selloff. Selloff honoured the price and also gave us a $50 travel voucher per couple for next year.

Get answers to your questions about Nuevo Vallarta
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.