We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

going to grand velas - need the low down

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
39 posts
going to grand velas - need the low down
Save

i see chanook, pv7, and portlandtraveler all have info about grand velas. first what is rci? we have a timeshare in vegas and traded out a week for pv, how much of a headache was getting the free massage or round of golf and what is the process to collect? who do you need to see? was it a headache for them to pick you up at the airport? how much notice did you give them? any input on deals through hotel better for swimming with the dolphins and parasailing, then online prices? please feel me in on where a "you must go spot is"

thanks

Maine
Level Contributor
440 posts
3 reviews
17 helpful votes
1. Re: going to grand velas - need the low down
Save

Sammy - look for my posts 1, 2 3 and 4. Should answer most of your questions. If you have anymore questions, I'd be happy to try to answer.

Send your flight information to reservas@grandvelas.com and copy to transportation@velasreorts.com They will arrange for your pickup at the airport and send you a return email confirming. (This courtesy is available to RCI members, which I'm not sure you are, so keep this in mind, but it's worth a try.)

Also, in the request to reservas@grandvelas.com, ask them to give you a room on the third floor or above. They will do the best they can to accommodate you. You will not have a view on the first floor. The restaurants are located on the second floor. We were given the fifth floor center of the hotel, the best view in the place, I couldn't believe it. The people are fantastic, very nice and very accommodating. Just be nice to them and they will be nice to you. Some people demand things and it doesn't come across right.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
39 posts
2. Re: going to grand velas - need the low down
Save

what does rci stand for? is that your time share thing so that you can trade weeks with other resorts?

Maine
Level Contributor
440 posts
3 reviews
17 helpful votes
3. Re: going to grand velas - need the low down
Save

rci.com will give you all the info you need, resorts, membership, phone numbers. We've traded for Club Intrawest twice, in addition to the GV.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
39 posts
4. Re: going to grand velas - need the low down
Save

did you take the bus? was it hard to get around pv?

Maine
Level Contributor
440 posts
3 reviews
17 helpful votes
5. Re: going to grand velas - need the low down
Save

You caught me checking the forum during lunch!! We did not take the bus. The taxis was $16.00 to downtown. There were plenty of taxis there to get back. The taxis are very small though, so if you have more than three people you need another one, or two adults and two small kids. It was not hard to get around downtown, they drop you off at the Malecon, or boardwalk, flea market -- total tourist place, all shops, bars and restaurants. You only need a couple or four hours to see all you want, depending on how much you like to "shop". If you're not intending to eat there, bring some bottled water from the hotel, it gets hot. The town is charming, very old, cobble stone streets. People are very nice. Bargain, bargain, bargain, they seemed like they would rather give it away than let you walk out of the store. Use your head though, if it looks like the Gap or a designer store don't even bother. Remember, don't buy your liquor here, do it at the airport duty free shops upstairs.

I'll check back later this evening if you have more questions.

Have a great time.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
39 posts
6. Re: going to grand velas - need the low down
Save

did you all take part in the included non moterized water sports at the resort? any food dishes you reccommend trying? whcih restaurant do you think was the best? and i saw that you suggest to make the resevations when we arrive? is it hard to get in if we want to go eat at a certain place again and don't have resevations?

thank-you for all your information. I have been researching for a couple months and planning for about 6 months, it is a birthday getaway for my mom and i and i just want it to be a great time. so thank you for helping :)

Toms River, NJ
Level Contributor
65 posts
7. Re: going to grand velas - need the low down
Save

I will be at the GV in 7 short days! From what Maryann has sent me, the hotel does offer better prices on the dolphin swim (even better then Adventure Vallarta's 10% internet booking discout. I am going to email the GV tonight to see if I can reseve the trips we want now, that way I can plan out our week. I have arranged to have the resort pick us up at the airport, so I will let you know how they went when I get back. When will you be going Sammy?

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
39 posts
8. Re: going to grand velas - need the low down
Save

chanook

i will be going 23-30, it sounds like you will be there at the same time:) I tried to email about picking us up at the airport too, haven't heard anything from them yet. are you doing this resort thru a timeshare?

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
39 posts
9. Re: going to grand velas - need the low down
Save

has anyone ever experienced the bus system there? I think i want to try to get a true feel for the culture!

Maine
Level Contributor
440 posts
3 reviews
17 helpful votes
10. Re: going to grand velas - need the low down
Save

I have to post the answer in two posts, for some reason it's not going through. Guess I talk too much!!

Hi John! Hi Sammy!

Short day at work here.

Okay. Answers

I didn't use the non-water sports, they were Kayaks and boogie boards -- too old for that, was afraid, or my husband was afraid, I could't paddle back to shore!!

I would advise making your dinner reservations for the entire week, you can always go back and change them or cancel if you need to but at least you will have them. What happens is the groups usually book between 8-9. On top of that, they only book a certain number of tables at a time, not the whole restaurant, because they want each table to get top notch service. (Hiring more employees might cure this but .. they also want you to feel like you're the only ones there.) So, like I told John, don't be surprised if you're the only one in the restaurant for a time.

Get answers to your questions about Nuevo Vallarta
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.