We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone else at the Mayan Palace?

US
Level Contributor
20 posts
Anyone else at the Mayan Palace?
Save

We are going to be there Apr 10-17th. Just curious if any fellow trip advisors are going to be there at the same time. :)

massachusetts
6 posts
1. Re: Anyone else at the Mayan Palace?
Save

Yes - we are leaving to go to Mayan Palace on April 8.

First time in Puerto Vallarta for us.

Have you been there before?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
211 posts
13 reviews
76 helpful votes
2. Re: Anyone else at the Mayan Palace?
Save

We're heading to the Mayan Palace on the 9th of April. We are really looking forward to it. It is our first time there. I was in Puerto Vallarta over twenty years ago and just loved it.

US
Level Contributor
20 posts
3. Re: Anyone else at the Mayan Palace?
Save

First time to PV for us also. My husband and I have been to Ixtapa. LOVED IT!! This time we are traveling with our kids and I am a bit nervous about it! They fly all the time, but have never been out of the country before. But I am really excited!

Anybody else bringing kids?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
211 posts
13 reviews
76 helpful votes
4. Re: Anyone else at the Mayan Palace?
Save

No this is our first vacation without the children in 20 years. UGH! Did I just admit to that? We just celebrated our 20th anniversary in December and decided to go on a vacation just the two of us.

We took our children to the Mayan Riviera last year and they had a great time. That was their first trip to Mexico.

US
Level Contributor
20 posts
5. Re: Anyone else at the Mayan Palace?
Save

This is actually our first time bringing the kids to Mexico. Last time just the two of us went, so I am a little bit nervous about bringing the kids out of the country. But I am also VERY excited because they are at good ages to start exposing them to different cultures. We are also bringing our 17 year old neice along. Her first time anywhere!

We are SOOOO looking forward to it! Hope you guys have a great time also! See ya at the Mayan!

US
Level Contributor
20 posts
6. Re: Anyone else at the Mayan Palace?
Save

Ruth, are you staying at the Mayan, Sea Garden or Grand?

NYC
4 posts
1 review
22 helpful votes
7. Re: Anyone else at the Mayan Palace?
Save

We stayed for a week at the Mayan Palace last Thanksgiving. Our vacation was wonderful; however, some cautions:

1. Check your bill carefully - we were 11 people in 5 suites and had over $800 in unexplained charges which took us over 1 hour to straighten out upon check-out. Some of the miscellaneous charges included dual billing for our Thanksgiving dinner, several valet parking charges when no one had a car, charges for water that no one drank, etc.

2. Very few of the staff actually are bilingual - we didn't find a single maid or service person who spoke any English at all - not a word. Luckily one member of our group spoke fluent Spanish.

3. Attention to details is lacking - pool was filled with freezing cold water every morning making the pool virtually unusable; grass watering and tree cutting/trimming are done during the day while people are trying to use the walkways and lounge chairs - (hoses snake across your path or you might get splashed with cold water from a hose while sunbathing).

4. Dangerous Parasailing operators - the problem was that there were about 3 different operators and they felt they owned the beach. The boats stayed out in the water, drifting with the tide trailing their long lines connected to the sails on the beach - which meant that often the lines drifted into and through the swimming area -- unsuspecting swimmers were in danger of being snagged by those lines. The boat operators would yell and scream - in spanish, of course - wanting the swimmers in the cordoned off swimming area to move. Children and hard-of-hearing people beware!!

Overall, our vacation was truly marvelous and we would go there again. The ocean/bay water was clean, warm and refreshing and the facilities were in marvelous condition.

Nana

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
211 posts
13 reviews
76 helpful votes
8. Re: Anyone else at the Mayan Palace?
Save

We are staying at the Mayan Palace. At least that is what our RCI confirmation says. We have a very sick dog and am waiting to hear from our vet. They have done some tests on her and I'm praying she will be okay and so I can go on vacation feeling at peace. It's hard to feel excited while I'm worrying about my dog. I'm sure your children will love Mexico. It isn't like it used to be. The water is purified in these new resorts.

Minden, Nevada
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Anyone else at the Mayan Palace?
Save

We will be arriving the 15th of April. What has anyone heard about converting pesos? Should we do it at all? Or wait til we arrive? I think doing it here in the states cost more - right?

Any special tours anyone has heard about or taken in the past?

I've read the local buses are fine but seem to take longer to get anywhere - anyone heard 'bus stories'?

It'll just be good to do nothing and get out of the snow !!! I hope I can remember how I got to this site to read any responses???!!!

Thanks,

Jenaine

US
Level Contributor
20 posts
10. Re: Anyone else at the Mayan Palace?
Save

We had waited until we got to Ixtapa to convert our money last time and used the Banomex to withdraw money. However, the charges to our back account were outrageous! It cost us $30.00USD a time to withdraw money!!!! So this time we are planning on converting some money before we go. However, we will still use the banomex occasionally I am sure!

Nana,

Did you guys take any of the tours or day trips from Vallarta Adventures? Just curious because we have little kids and I haven't heard much about good tours for them. Heard lots of great stuff about adult trips though!

Tamera

Get answers to your questions about Nuevo Vallarta
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.