We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tampico

1 post
Tampico
Save

Is it safe plz im going to tampico anwser

6 replies to this topic
Guanajuato, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,659 posts
24 reviews
67 helpful votes
1. Re: Tampico
Save

Tampico itself is safe. Driving from Matamoros and through Tamaulipas state is suspect.

Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
4 helpful votes
2. Re: Tampico
Save

We just finished our travel from Tampico airport to Ciudad Valles. The airport area seems to be very quiet and safe. We chose to rent a car to travel to Ciudad Valles but buses are leaving every hour. The area is well organized and very welcoming. If you choose to rent a car then the roads are a mixed of new highways and old roads consistent with tolls. As said, we felt safe and easy to get by with Google maps.

3. Re: Tampico
Save

@RedMeansRunSon: How so? I will have to make the drive from Tlacolula de Matamoros through to Texas. Was not originally planning on going that way but circumstances have made it so.

Edited: 1 year ago
Guanajuato, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,659 posts
24 reviews
67 helpful votes
4. Re: Tampico
Save

Liz, just so we're on the same page, Tlacolula De Matamoros is in Oaxaca state, just outside of Oaxaca City. To get there from pretty much anywhere in Texas, there really is no need to drive through much of Tamaulipas, as the toll highways through the center of the country are far faster and safer. Generally speaking, the section of Tamaulipas just south of the other Matamoros near the TX border is not as safe as alternative routes through Mexico, if you have other options. Which it doesn't sound like you do? Then just make sure you travel during the day. In some municipios there is little police presence, and military support is lacking. Maybe the newly established Guardia Nacional has been posted there.

5. Re: Tampico
Save

I will be sticking to the East coast as it’s the shortest, cheapest route up there and sticking with the toll roads; going through Reynosa for the border crossing and my end goal is Louisiana. I came down on the west coast (from California) and didn’t have any problems, but I also had a travel companion. Is there as much of a police force on the east coast? Kinda freaked out with all of the activity that’s been occurring.

Edited: 1 year ago
1 post
1 review
6. Re: Tampico
Save

I would avoid Reynosa at all costs. Matomoros is safer than Reynosa. Right now the caravans are camping at the borders making the border in Matamoros a headache and its feels a little unsafe to me personally. Just keep doors locked. I have crossed at Matomoros a few times recently. I will say I will never cross at Reynosa. I used to but not now. It is too dangerous.

Reply to: Tampico
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tampico
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.