We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lion fish...good eating

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
721 posts
Lion fish...good eating
Save

https://theconversation.com/how-fear-of-being-eaten-might-help-keep-invasive-lionfish-from-taking-over-reefs-163062

We cant leave it up to the groupers to control the lionfish. If you have the chance try them. I think they are really tasty. I think Joan mentioned that Asia Caribe had it.

6 replies to this topic
Cancun, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
9,961 posts
10 reviews
21 helpful votes
1. Re: Lion fish...good eating
Save

Yes.

Right now Asia Caribe has it

Yucatan Peninsula...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula, Chetumal, Mahahual
Level Contributor
20,972 posts
2. Re: Lion fish...good eating
Save

We caught some off Mahahual and had them for dinner -- pretty good.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
11,955 posts
192 reviews
224 helpful votes
3. Re: Lion fish...good eating
Save

Asia Caribe does a signature version that is pecan-encrusted and topped with a tamarind sauce. It's very good, but if you want to taste the fish itself, have them sautee it in fine herbs. I'd describe lionfish as similar to grouper, but milder. I plan on having it Thursday night.

Level Contributor
38 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
4. Re: Lion fish...good eating
Save

Lion Fish Ceviche = Yummy

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
721 posts
5. Re: Lion fish...good eating
Save

I thought it was close to Perch. Yummy with butter and herbs and I've had it done a la putanesca (Italian chef).

Noblesville, Indiana
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
8 reviews
4 helpful votes
6. Re: Lion fish...good eating
Save

I know of these critters, have seen a few at zoos and other large aquariums. But I never thought of them as being tasty. One would of course have to be extremely careful why catching and preparing them so as to not get jabbed by one of those poisonous spines...

Reply to: Lion fish...good eating
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.