We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Irish (Pub) are coming to Isla

Cancun, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
9,969 posts
10 reviews
21 helpful votes
The Irish (Pub) are coming to Isla
Save

Lynn and her husband (owners of El Patio) are opening a new venture: Neal's Irish Pub.

It's set to open on October 1, of this year. They're very excited about bring something new to Isla.

Hopefully it will be as successful as El Patio.

11 replies to this topic
Cancun, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
9,969 posts
10 reviews
21 helpful votes
1. Re: The Irish (Pub) are coming to Isla
Save

Forgot to mention isn't not in El Centro but rather just up a bit from Madera Food and Art near Isla 33.

A good option for those staying in that area and a short taxi ride for those who aren't.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
723 posts
2. Re: The Irish (Pub) are coming to Isla
Save

Pub grub! Love it. Great to have more choice. I hope they have flights. Really enjoyed them at the now defunct steak place, and I'm forgetting the name, that was where Bistro Francais was. Steak n Kegs?

Edited: 29 August 2021, 02:27
Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
191 posts
17 reviews
9 helpful votes
3. Re: The Irish (Pub) are coming to Isla
Save

Hey Joan I thought you’d be the one to know. Are most places like restaurants on Isla locally owned or owned by Americans just curious?

Cancun, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
9,969 posts
10 reviews
21 helpful votes
4. Re: The Irish (Pub) are coming to Isla
Save

You know, I'm not sure of the percentage and, of course, it depends on if you're talking about El Centro or the whole island.

I think it's a fair guess that a majority of the restaurants out in the colonias are locally owned. Not all but I think the majority.

In El Centro I think maybe it's more of a 50-50 ratio. Truly, I'm not sure. I'm going send Lynn a message and ask her. I'm sure she'll know.

8 posts
5. Re: The Irish (Pub) are coming to Isla
Save

And the bier selection to be?? Nego Medelo, Bohemia, obsucura?? Will they be me allowed to import Guinness?

8 posts
6. Re: The Irish (Pub) are coming to Isla
Save

Sorry for spelling… might have already poured a Guinness… or alt (pun intended)

Cancun, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
9,969 posts
10 reviews
21 helpful votes
7. Re: The Irish (Pub) are coming to Isla
Save

gogosss1

According to Lynn, it depends on what you define ownership as. In El Centro there are may places that are run by locals who will tell you they're the owners but in actually the owners on paper are foreigners. They pretty much leave the running of the business to their Mexican partner although the partner Ii don't recognized on legal documents.

Then there's a number of businesses that are financed by foreigners but put in the name of a local friend because sometimes that's easier. They could be either locally managed or managed by the foreigner.

Then there's those that are truly owned by locals and others that are owned and operated by foreigners.

Her guess is that more restaurants have some type of foreign connection than strictly local. But the locals who are the faces of the business wouldn't tell you that. She told me about 3 whose families don't even know they aren't the true owners.

Hope this answers your question somewhat.

Cancun, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
9,969 posts
10 reviews
21 helpful votes
8. Re: The Irish (Pub) are coming to Isla
Save

MasSur,

Honestly i don't know. But I'll find out tonight and let you know.

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
191 posts
17 reviews
9 helpful votes
9. Re: The Irish (Pub) are coming to Isla
Save

Thanks Joan. Interesting. I guess I just wondered because I know the income level for the locals can’t be much so to own a establishment would be difficult.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
122 posts
6 reviews
10. Re: The Irish (Pub) are coming to Isla
Save

Interesting information from Joan regarding the restaurant ownership. When I am on Cozumel, I tried to patronize locally owned restaurants and other businesses. But sometimes that can be a little difficult to find the information, as Joan mentions.

Reply to: The Irish (Pub) are coming to Isla
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.