We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa Azul Resort, May 11-18, 2024

Berlin, New...
Level Contributor
426 posts
Playa Azul Resort, May 11-18, 2024

We arrived at this nice resort on Saturday afternoon and were quickly shown to our room, 301, third floor with a jacuzzi on the deck. Our initial thoughts, we like this place. It has some old Mexico charm, the brownish red floor tile and yellow wall paint, along with some logs protruding from the balconies, just made this place homey. It is showing it’s age with cracked floor tile and flaking paint, as well as some lime drippings from the masonry, but otherwise, it is being taken decent care of.

Our room. It had a king size bed with an assortment of half a dozen pillows for our use, 2 bathrobes, and towels. A good sized TV that we never turned on, some deck furniture and the jacuzzi. The AC and fan worked very well and kept us nice and cool, which would become important when temps were over 90 all week. First night, we laid some towels on the floor next to the bed, second day, we had scatter rugs to place there!

Housekeeping was hit or miss. Sometimes the floor got swept, sometimes it didn’t. The bed was always made, towels were always stored and folded, though we sometimes did not get the full assortment. I would just ask and the ladies would give what I asked for, including some extras.

Dining. Breakfasts were spot on, always good, plenty of fruit, some revolving dishes, and the ever popular omelet station. They had bacon every day but one, and a different tasty potato every day. It was very nice eating on the edge of the beach where you could hear and see the waves. Lunches were good, very good, nice lunch fare. We had the burger, fries, nachos, all well done. Dinner was a little less, though we only ate dinner there twice. I especially enjoyed their chicken and veggies. We ate out most nights.

The lobby and dining room, are not airconditioned. They claim there is some in the dining room, but it has open doorways which negates this. Being the temps were in the 90’s every day, that would have been nice. Our only respite in air conditioned comfort was our room.

We did not use either of the pools, but we did swim and snorkel out front, and that is what it is all about for us, nice marine life, clear water!

17 replies to this topic
Texas
Level Contributor
9,060 posts
82 reviews
52 helpful votes
1. Re: Playa Azul Resort, May 11-18, 2024

Great detailed report. Where else did you do dinner?

Lebanon...
Level Contributor
2,049 posts
8 reviews
8 helpful votes
2. Re: Playa Azul Resort, May 11-18, 2024

Thanks for the report - For some reason I thought you were going back to FA? Did you get to snorkel with Mal Perro and Margarita? Wish we could have been there to see you guys.

Rogers, Arkansas
Level Contributor
298 posts
3. Re: Playa Azul Resort, May 11-18, 2024

Thanks for a great report! Glad you had a great time!

Saginaw, Texas
Level Contributor
5,418 posts
3 reviews
2 helpful votes
4. Re: Playa Azul Resort, May 11-18, 2024

"Great detailed report. Where else did you do dinner?"

Lol! I can answer this because we were there.

Mingo's Place, Sereno (gracias, Bonnie!), Blue Angel, Porto Sol, Playa Azul X 2, I believe.

They are great friends and fun to vacation with here every year.

The island misses y'all, mi amigo!

Berlin, New...
Level Contributor
426 posts
5. Re: Playa Azul Resort, May 11-18, 2024

Coz snorkel fan, I very much like the FA, but when booking time came after my broken arm, they still were not allowed to open up seaside. I really enjoy dining by the water, and it just wasn't able to happen there. Of course, within days of booking PA, the FA got the go ahead to open seaside (Read that government agencies finalized their fees to reopen, wink wink....).

We got to snorkel with Mal Perro and Margarita. Didn't do Punta Sur this year, due to wave action. Always next year!

Mal, you left out LaCocay!!! Mingos was a great find, thanx Coz snorkel fan. Mal and Margarita keep introducing us to new places to dine. You should have seen Porto sol. They brought my steak out on a large skewer and slid it off onto my plate!

I gotta say, it's always a good time with Mal Perro and Margarita. They can improve your vacation by more than a couple degrees! We had a blast hanging with you guys again. I first met you in person way back in 2015! That's 9 trips now!

fort worth
Level Contributor
2,420 posts
1 review
6. Re: Playa Azul Resort, May 11-18, 2024

We always love hanging with you guys

Texas
Level Contributor
9,060 posts
82 reviews
52 helpful votes
7. Re: Playa Azul Resort, May 11-18, 2024

Great meals and friendships. Looking for Porto Sol, can’t find in TA.

Traveling Man where will you stay next time? FA or PA?

Berlin, New...
Level Contributor
426 posts
8. Re: Playa Azul Resort, May 11-18, 2024

Tough call... FA was $1,600.00 cheaper overall, entire trip costs... It's looking like we might, might, do the Westin. We took a tour, since we were right next door. AC all over the place there, nice, real nice rooms and lobby. I found their price, at times, competitive with PA....

Ultimately, it's going to come down to budget and pricing.

Texas
Level Contributor
9,060 posts
82 reviews
52 helpful votes
9. Re: Playa Azul Resort, May 11-18, 2024

Just be aware that dinner at the Westin they alternate between the Cuzamil restaurant in the main building which is air conditioned and Gaviotas which is not air conditioned, or like you said has open doors so does not feel air conditioned.

Thanks again!

Berlin, New...
Level Contributor
426 posts
10. Re: Playa Azul Resort, May 11-18, 2024

Good to know! Thanx.

Reply to: Playa Azul Resort, May 11-18, 2024
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cozumel
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.