We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip around Election Day?

Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Trip around Election Day?

Wife and I are planning a VERY last minute trip for the first week of June and were thinking Mexico City, but just realized that’s when the election is. Is it a bad idea to go then? Even if it’s safe, will tourist sites be impacted? We’re in our 30s from NYC so crowds aren’t a huge deal, but we also don’t want to encounter protests.

8 replies to this topic
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
42 reviews
5 helpful votes
1. Re: Trip around Election Day?

When in June?

Edited: 20 May 2024, 08:49
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
2. Re: Trip around Election Day?

June 2-9. Or would maybe go June 3 instead.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,780 posts
61 reviews
260 helpful votes
3. Re: Trip around Election Day?

Just in case there are any post-election protest rallies, I would avoid the Zócalo on the weekend which is when such events tend to be held. This past Saturday we were planning on attending a World Fair with booths from 30 countries. It was being held in a building near the National Palace. But because of a protest on the Zócalo, all the streets around the National Palace were barricaded and the fair was closed down. On Sunday there was a big rally scheduled in support of the opposition candidate, so we assumed the same would be true. We were disappointed, but we really felt bad for the participants who had traveled from all over the world to represent their countries, only to have the fair shut down.

Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
4. Re: Trip around Election Day?

Thanks. We would be there starting the Monday after Election Day Sunday through that week. I know it’s hard to say for sure, but wondering if our trip would be impacted at all logistically and safety-wise.

And on a totally other note, is that a bad time weather-wise?

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,780 posts
61 reviews
260 helpful votes
5. Re: Trip around Election Day?

There would not be any safety concerns. Just stay away from demonstrations if there should be any. As I said, any sort of demonstration on the Zócalo would most likely occur on the weekend, so plan on doing your sightseeing in the Centro Histórico on a weekday.

Hopefully the rainy season will have begun by then (we need the rain!), but the rain is not generally an all-day event. Usually late afternoon or evening, so you should have plenty of time do your outdoor explorations. Bring umbrellas with you and check the forecast each morning. The long-term forecast is still calling for above average temperatures (upper 80s F) into the beginning of June. Mexico City is generally cooler than people expect because of the altitude. But with this heat wave, I have not had to wear a long sleeve shirt or jacket since February, even in the evening. Generally, however, a light jacket is a good idea for the evening.

Level Contributor
1,037 posts
1 review
6. Re: Trip around Election Day?

I don't think there will be any issues or safety concerns. This is not expected to be a close election, nor is there a candidate grandstanding about what they'll do if they're not elected. There will likely be rallies at the Zócalo, but that is normal, and I wouldn't expect any sort of danger. I think it would actually be a fascinating time to visit Mexico.

I'd be more concerned about visiting Washington, DC, from November to January.

Edited: 20 May 2024, 23:45
Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,780 posts
61 reviews
260 helpful votes
7. Re: Trip around Election Day?

Joe, I don't think there will be any safety concerns, BUT it remains a good idea to steer clear of any demonstrations. Just two weekends ago several policemen were injured at the Zócalo when demonstrators gathering on the 10th anniversary of the disappearance of the 43 students from Ayotzinapa threw firecrackers at the National Palace. I'm not trying to be alarmist, nor am I discouraging tourists to come to Mexico City. But STAY AWAY from demonstrations. And obviously, do not participate in any demonstrations... that is against the law for foreign nationals.

As to whether there will be any post-election demonstrations, I don't know. This election has divided the Mexican populace more than any other. And even though Sheinbaum has a very comfortable lead, the fact that the latest poll had her with less than 50% (there are three candidates) shows that there is strong opposition.

Level Contributor
1,037 posts
1 review
8. Re: Trip around Election Day?

Yes, absolutely. I don't think I was explicit enough in my comment that there are likely to be rallies/demonstrations at the Zócalo. There are likely to be some, AND avoid them. I agree.

But I don't think the city beyond that will be unsafe because it's election day. If the OP does hear of/see any rallies/demos elsewhere, go away from them and not towards them.

I think it will be fascinating because it's always interesting to see how another country handles its election, not because of any potential unrest.

Reply to: Trip around Election Day?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.