We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in small town Tala,

St. George, Utah
3 posts
1 review
Safety in small town Tala,
Save

My husband and I are wanting to move to Tala, a small town about 45 minutes west of Guadalajara. He is mexican and his grandparents live there. I, however, am white, blonde hair, blue eyes. I have been studying spanish for several years and would like to move for an immersion experience. I have read that Guadalajara is pretty safe but I have had a hard time finding information about Tala. His grandma assures us it is very safe, but I have gotten mixed messages. Would it be safe for me, a guerita who will stick out like a sore thumb?

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,817 posts
113 reviews
71 helpful votes
1. Re: Safety in small town Tala,
Save

You will be very safe there since the family is established there. It can end up being a very enriching experience for you. No doubt you will stick out like a sore thumb at first, but it will be as much for cultural reasons as looks.

BTW, while you may be blonder than some, you will see there are quite a few Mexicans with light colored hair and blue eyes.

St. George, Utah
3 posts
1 review
2. Re: Safety in small town Tala,
Save

Thanks for replying! That is good to hear!

Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
for San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
3. Re: Safety in small town Tala,
Save

I am a blonde woman, have lived in MX 10+ yrs, 1 yr of which was in a small town -Jerez, Zacatecas - certainly not as small as Tala. I would probably go haywire after awhile, from Jerez I could bus an hour to Zacatecas city but still it was totally enough 12 months of charros (hot as they may be). I suggest planning field trips to the city and around. My doggie on the other hand loved it in the stix - goats, horses, fields, tons of dog buds.

You get used to being looked at and then they get used to you. Many many Mexicans, probably like your husband, have experience working in the US and so often they like talking to foreigners/north americans. Small towns are small, so you are adding to the interest, and like sioux says you are with a family - in Jerez I lived in the house of an established family, my friends, so nobody was going to give me a hard time, au contraire. Also I notice its our mannerisms, way of dressing etc that stick out more than coloring - lots of light hair eyes skin in Jalisco, really thruout north central MX. I can pick out Germans and Brits and Californians from a football field away and these days many times I pass, maybe I have integrated my mannerisms/style. Still not many super high heels or gobs of eyeliner, somethings are culturally beyond me.

I have a friend from Chicago who is black, 30´s, even though he is a musician married to a Mexicana & works here frequently, it drives him nuts the level of staring. Maybe depends on your personality.

Have a fantastic time!

St. George, Utah
3 posts
1 review
4. Re: Safety in small town Tala,
Save

Thank you so much for your response. I am feeling a lot more confident and encouraged to go. Hopefully our trip will become a reality! :)

5. Re: Safety in small town Tala,

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2015, 12:15
Get answers to your questions about Guadalajara
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.