We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quinta Don Jose or La Villa del Ensueno?

Hawaii
Level Contributor
32 posts
5 reviews
17 helpful votes
Quinta Don Jose or La Villa del Ensueno?
Save

I can't decide!! Any comments?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
1. Re: Quinta Don Jose or La Villa del Ensueno?
Save

When is your trip?? We are leaving TODAY and have reservations at Quinta Don Jose. We'll be back March 20 -- I'll let you know how it is!

Hawaii
Level Contributor
32 posts
5 reviews
17 helpful votes
2. Re: Quinta Don Jose or La Villa del Ensueno?
Save

Thanks. Neither one had rooms for the 8 nights we will be there so, i booked them both. Will report here afterwards. We arrive in Guadalajara March 20th!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
3. Re: Quinta Don Jose or La Villa del Ensueno?
Save

Hi! We are actually in Quinta Don Jose right now! We've been here for 6 days in Room 10. They have free WiFi! We love this place--the location is only a couple of blocks from El Parian and the Cathedrals -- the center of Tlaquepaquel QDJ is very clean and comfortable and the people are so friendly and helpful. Our favorite restaurants are Casa Fuentes and Rio San Pedro -- they are excellent--high-end for here but a wonderful dinner for two is only $20 to $30 but we only have one or two drinks. For really cheap good foodk try El Tecolate on Reforma We had a large meal there last night for $10 including Corona beer for my husband! Also don't miss the Antiques de Mexica store on the main pedestrian walkway about a block further than El Patio restaurant--it is in an amazing old (1780) huge hacienda estate and is better than any museum we have seen! Hope you have a great trip! We are leaving for San Miguel de Allende on Saturday.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
32 posts
5 reviews
17 helpful votes
4. Re: Quinta Don Jose or La Villa del Ensueno?
Save

Aloha Franhop,

I'm getting excited! Thanks for the tips! Have a great trip! Oh, one question...can you get pesos at the airport?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
5. Re: Quinta Don Jose or La Villa del Ensueno?
Save

We just returned home--spent one week in Tlaquequepaque and one week in San Miguel de Allende. Loved both of them.

You can get pesos in any ATM -- we didn't do it at the airport but I'm sure you could. Most nicer restaurants, hotel, and shops take VISA but small ones don't. It's easy to find ATM's or Banks everywhere. One tip -- get a weeks worth of money at a time -- there is a flat fee charge for the ATM.

Hope you have a wonderful trip.

Castro Valley, CA
1 post
6. Re: Quinta Don Jose or La Villa del Ensueno?
Save

Since reading your posts I've been waiting for you to write about your tirp! My husband and I are planning a trip in late June and are trying to decide between Quinta Don Jose and Casa de los Flores. They both sound great. What did you think of QDJ? Thanks!

Hawaii
Level Contributor
32 posts
5 reviews
17 helpful votes
7. Re: Quinta Don Jose or La Villa del Ensueno?
Save

Aloha, We have returned from our trip. We ended up staying 5 nights at la Villa del Ensueno and 3 nights at Quinta Don Jose.

Both have their goods points. And both have their negatives.

Honestly, I wasn't that impressed with QDJ. This message board made it out to be, I don't know, awesome? Anyway, it was ok. We did not have a phone in the room, which was a big headache, since I had to carry the baby with me up and down the stairs to ask questions, order a drink, etc. (I was traveling with an 18 month old and a 13 yr old.) The room was very regular american, large, but nothing special. The place was under construction, so there were 2 very unsafe areas for kids (open staircase, open atrium? Not sure what the big opening outside our room was.)

The PLUSES...the beds were very, very awesome. They felt new. No, new and expensive! I like to sleep, and these were wonderful beds!

The bartender, housekeeping and other staff were very nice and worked hard. The front desk clerk, one of them, was very nice and helpful. There were 2 day time front desk clerks that were not helpful and caused some frustration.

They have a computer in the lobby for guests to use. That was great to check email and news.

The pool area and eating area are very nice and relaxing.

The location is GREAT. 2 blocks from the square. If you have any questions you can email me at corcoranjv@hotmail.com

Good luck!

Victoria, Texas
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
6 helpful votes
8. Re: Quinta Don Jose or La Villa del Ensueno?
Save

I can't speak for your room, but I had a 900 mhz cordless phone in my room and everything was wonderful.

I found all the staff to be very, very nice and they really went out of their way to be helpful and I'm a difficult guest at best (very picky about everything).

I have stayed all over Mexico and generally find fault with every place I've stayed (even Las Hadas in the 80's). I stay in 5 star hotels everywhere I go, but we wanted to stay in Tlaquepaque this time and B&Bs are the only choice.

I've stayed in at least 6 different hotels in Guadalajara over the years and the QDJ beat out even the highest priced places.

They were still working on one upstairs room when we stayed but if they hadn't pointed it out, we wouldn't have noticed. There was no sign of it anywhere on the ground level.

We had the Master Suite, which had a two-person jacquizzi, a desk, seating for at least 8 people and a huge king-size bed. The furnishings were top-drawer.

We had a Sony Wega TV, DVD player, a nice stereo, remote-controlled AC, two ceiling fans (also remote) and a hammock chair that was so great we went out and bought two to ship home.

At one point while I was lounging in the hammock chair, reading a book, I said to my husband, "if this isn't heaven, then it's danged close".

The breakfasts were a cut above the usual continental, with two choices of entrees and also the option to order eggs made to order.

The chilaquiles were wonderful and one morning they served the best scrambled eggs with ham I've ever had out.

Charly the bartender is as friendly as they come, Bernardino, the swing shift manager was incredibly friendly. Arturo and Estela were out of town, but the staff still behaved as if someone were watching them every moment.

I've traveled in Mexico for over 15 years and this was the nicest experience I've ever had.

I think that the original poster must have just happened upon the QDJ at a bad time.

By the way, I saw several people there with small children and they seemed just as pleased as we were.

Victoria, Texas
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
6 helpful votes
9. Re: Quinta Don Jose or La Villa del Ensueno?
Save

An additional note about restaurants and shopping:

We managed to eat in a few places during our stay.

We had eaten at El Adobe in previous trips and it was always wonderful. This time it was awful. I had to send my chicken en nogada back 3 times and finally gave up. It was dry enough to choke me. They still have the most avant-garde presentation in Jalisco, but can't figure out how to cook a chicken breast? Sad.

We ate at El Patio, it was fair-to-middling, pretty typical Mexican offerings, service was okay, pricing pretty reasonable.

La Casa Fuerte was pretty good, service was great, but stay away from their fish. Pricing was okay.

The best meal we had was at a little place that is half restaurant/half store called ACASA.

The food was stupendous, service was very attentive. I highly recommend it for the authenticity, preparation and presentation of the food. Everything we had was wonderful, especially the ejotes rellenos, which is a takeoff on chiles rellenos, but they used green beans (they took me into the kitchen to show me how it was done, but I'm not telling, hehe). They had the best salsa de u��a I've had in a restaurant.

We also had quesadillas de huitlacoche, a caldo Tlalpe��o (with chicken that was moist and tender) and wonderful drinks. They serve 2 salsas, bolillos and the best seasoned requeson I've ever had (I don't like requeson, I liked this).

Imaginiative artwork and the friendliest owners in Tlaquepaque made it even better.

Our tab was 130 pesos (12 dollars)! Appetizers were priced about 3.00, a limonada was $1.00 (compared to 2.25 at El Adobe). Most entrees were under 10.00, some as low as $6.50.

Shopping was a bit of a disappointment this time. I generally spend 2 to 3 thousand dollars there, not this time. (I've furnished 3 houses there in the past).

I was taken aback by pricing in most shops compared to years past, but there were even more incredibly beautiful pieces than ever, I just felt that most of it was overpriced.

El Adobe is worth a visit just to see the array of the finest Mexican artisan works to be found, but the prices were really "out there".

Mona's is still the place to buy fabrics/table linens (I bought tons of linens and 25 meters of cotton fabrics). There is a factory around the corner & 2 doors down that you can order any colonial tile you'd like at reasonable prices.

I was rather shocked by prices of lamps/light fixtures everywhere we went, as I used to buy in bult there. I had intended to buy several outdoor fixtures and some decorative lighting for my BC home, but couldn't bring myself to spend 150 dollars for tin lamps or 95 dollars for an alabaster sconce. These items can be had in TJ for the same money, which makes no sense.

Visited La Puerta Bonita, where I had previously purchased a Talavera service for 12 (they still have the same pattern), decorative ceramics and original art, but again was put off by soaring prices. An oil painting similar to one I had purchased in 2001 had gone up about 30%. I desperately wanted to buy something there, but couldn't find a thing that I didn't feel was overpriced by at least 50%.

Didn't get to Tonala this time, but the next time I go down, I'm heading there first to see if I can find better prices.

I suspect that the only way to get good pricing for "artesenia" is to go to the places they're actually made: Puebla, Guanajuato, Hidalgo, SMDA, Oaxaca, etc.

I was desperate to get the hammock chairs like the ones in the Quinta Don Jose, so I bought two, even at $120.00 each, but I'm sure I paid at least $40.00 too much. I didn't see them anywhere else, but I didn't have 3 days to enter every single shop.

The same with the embroidered dresses. $150.00 for a cotton dress? They're paying $50.00 max for them.

Tlaquepaque, while still cheaper than the US or TJ, has really outlived its repuatation as the place to get good stuff cheaply. I honestly think I could have done better on Ebay.

Get answers to your questions about Guadalajara
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.