We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some advice needed

New Jersey
Level Contributor
8,692 posts
32 reviews
59 helpful votes
Some advice needed
Save

Next week I'm going from PV to Guadalajara for the first time. It's sort of a business trip, but I'd like to see a few things if possible. I'm staying in the Providencia section. What are some good eats or places not to miss. Is it relatively safe walking around day/night aside from the usual use good judgement advice?

Also, most importantly....I'm renting a car in PV for my entire trip pretty much. Should I just drive to GDL or take a bus or fly? If I fly, how much should I expect to pay and which airline is best to look into? Thanks....Enjoying reading the forum

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
1,974 posts
126 reviews
86 helpful votes
1. Re: Some advice needed
Save

I've answered one of your questions on 'things to see' on the other thread regarding hotels in Providencia. If you're in town long enough to do some sightseeing (say, at least a day), then check out the historic downtown. Another option is the Basilica de Zapopan, which you can get to by taking a cab for about 50 or 60 pesos. From your hotel to downtown, a cab is about 70 pesos (more, if you take one in front of your hotel). Yet another option is Tlaquepaque, which also has a charming plaza, with markets, good restaurants and the largest bar in Guadalajara, El Parian. A cab from Providencia to Tlaquepaque should be 120-150 pesos

There are lots of good places to eat in Providencia and more along Avenida de las Americas, which will be close to your hotel. That's a good neighborhood and as safe as any in Guadalajara. If you click the map on one of the tripadvisor hotel links I gave you, you'll the high quality restaurants near those hotels.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
8,692 posts
32 reviews
59 helpful votes
2. Re: Some advice needed
Save

Thank you. I'll probably have my car. Is parking easy or inexpensive around the places you mentioned ?

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
1,974 posts
126 reviews
86 helpful votes
3. Re: Some advice needed
Save

Parking in Zapopan isn't bad, there's an underground car park there (or there was the last time I went to the Basilica). There's also one in downtown, underneath the historic center. But I'm not sure how difficult it is to get a parking space during a weekday, when business and government offices are fully functioning. I don't drive when I go to Guadalajara (or anywhere in Mexico), so I'm not much help with that particular question.

Edited: 7 years ago
Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
411 reviews
256 helpful votes
4. Re: Some advice needed
Save

Having traveled Mexico and the Guadalajara area since the late 1990's, there seems to be a vast improvement in the availabilty of both public and private parking. The secret to locating parking lots is to be on the lookout for signs with a large "E". Make sure to check the hours that the lots are manned and available to retrieve your vehicle.

5. Re: Some advice needed

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2014, 13:17
Get answers to your questions about Guadalajara
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.