We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in GDL

Seattle
3 posts
Safety in GDL
Save

Hi,

I'm planning on spending a couple weeks in GDL in August/September. As a single woman (50+), should I worry about safety when visiting the tourist spots, markets, etc. in GDL? Obviously, I'll be taking the usual precautions as on any international trip, but wondered if GDL presented any specific concerns. Are the areas of the city I should avoid? I'll be staying in the central historic area.

Thanks in advance for any advice or recommendations.

C E
San Diego
Level Contributor
386 posts
1. Re: Safety in GDL
Save

the historic area is pretty safe. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Just don't walk alone late at night or something silly like that.

Seattle
3 posts
2. Re: Safety in GDL
Save

Thanks for the comments. I've been reading that women should not go out alone after dark in the city. Is this true? I'd hate to have to go back to my hotel when it got dark in summer at 8 PM. Any thoughts?

C E
San Diego
Level Contributor
386 posts
3. Re: Safety in GDL
Save

I wouldn't walk alone after dark and I'm a dude..

Seattle
3 posts
4. Re: Safety in GDL
Save

Wow. That is a bit surprising. When I've travelled solo in major european cities, I had no problem being out walking around in well-populated tourist areas in the evening after dinner. I realize that Guadalajara isn't Paris or London or Rome, but given that it's supposed to be safer than Mex City, I didn't realize the "after dark" issue for solo folks. Thanks again for the heads up. I'll be careful.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,124 posts
17 reviews
114 helpful votes
5. Re: Safety in GDL
Save

I was alone in Guadalajara in March, and I always felt safe in the historic center, but after dark I was not out in the streets. I speak Spanish, but I just feel more comfortable after dark back in the hotel, which was in the historic center. A single woman is inviting some attention, perhaps unwanted, in Mexico where she is not known to the neighbors, etc. I imagine you could take a taxi to the concert hall, but I wouldn't even consider the cinema.

Chicago, Illinois
11 posts
6. Re: Safety in GDL
Save

I spent a month in Guadalajara mainly by myself, one week with my fiancee. I definitely felt more safe with him there but didn't have too many problems without him (some unwanted attention). There aren't very good streetlights, if any, on most streets which made me a little uncomfortable to go out at night. However, as soon as I made friends and would go out with them or was out with my fiancee there never was any concern nor problem.

London
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
7. Re: Safety in GDL
Save

Regarding the after dark issue, I have been to Guadalajara regularly, and, in fact, I lived there for 4 yrs. Although streetlights are not good because there are many trees, this does not mean the historical district is dangerous after dark. In some streets in the area you'll see that many men gather but not because they are in dodgy places, but in gay bars and clubs (most of them are in this area). I dont drive or take taxis in Guadalajarara; although I'm Mexican, my bf who is English has never had problems when he goes for a walk during the night in the central district where he lives. My advice is, after dark, just try to walk down main streets and where you see people. Dont be so paranoid about the safety issue, last time I was in Guadalajara (2 weeks ago), I saw a girl on her own walking down the historical district, I assume, on her way home after work (she was wearing a work uniform), it was about 4 or 5 AM. I dont recommend any solo female do that, but it seemed that for that girl was an usual thing to do every night. Enjoy Guadalajara

8. Re: Safety in GDL

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 15:16
Get answers to your questions about Guadalajara
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.