We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Highway 70 from Puerto Vallarta to Guadalajara

Vancouver, Canada
13 posts
Highway 70 from Puerto Vallarta to Guadalajara
Save

Hello All! Could someone who has actually driven this highway recently please tell me if it is the quicker route to Guadalajara from PV or roughly the same distance as highway 200??? All the posts on here are at least 2 years old and I think Hwy 70 may have improved since then. Please help.... I leave this Thursday.

Etzatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
20 reviews
24 helpful votes
1. Re: Highway 70 from Puerto Vallarta to Guadalajara
Save

I have driven it 3 or 4 times(Feb`10,last time) , I usually drive it from Guadalajara to PV ( downhill) It is a beautiful route but mostly single lane with lots of curves, mountain driving, with occasional delays due to rock slides...the point to point website gives you these numbers:

Highway 70, GDL-PV 293 KM drive time 4hours 15 min...

Highway 200,GDL-PV 334KM drive time 3hours46 min...279Pesos tolls

http://aplicaciones4.sct.gob.mx/sibuac_internet/ControllerUI?action=cmdEscogeRuta

Suerte

Vancouver, Canada
13 posts
2. Re: Highway 70 from Puerto Vallarta to Guadalajara
Save

Thanks so much for this info and thanks even more for pointing out that great website "punto a punto".... very helpful! I have decided to #70 there and #200 on the way back, that way, I can see different scenery and get to a few different towns along the way. I will post after I get back and let everyone know my experience with both highways. Cheers and thanks again.

Etzatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
20 reviews
24 helpful votes
3. Re: Highway 70 from Puerto Vallarta to Guadalajara
Save

If you have the time visit San Sebastian just a few miles off highway 70, a 1700's silver mining town, very picturesque...enjoy

Vancouver, Canada
13 posts
4. Re: Highway 70 from Puerto Vallarta to Guadalajara
Save

Thanks for the suggestion. We will see how we are doing for time. Cheers

Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
3 reviews
4 helpful votes
5. Re: Highway 70 from Puerto Vallarta to Guadalajara
Save

YOU MADE A GOOD DESITION.

On your first journy trying tthe #70 there and #200 on the way back.

If the matther is the time, #200 is faster if you really drive fast on the Hway.

The #70 supose to be shorther in time and KM, but depends much of traffic and rocks. If it is raining , never try the #70. Good luck, Sersol

Vancouver, Canada
13 posts
6. Re: Highway 70 from Puerto Vallarta to Guadalajara
Save

I found both highways are about the same amount of time and closer to 5 hours than 4. The 70 was slow because of all the pilgrims/peregrinos walking on the road during Easter, which meant you had to drive relatively slowly so as not to kill anyone. Then the part of highway 200 that is closest to PV was slow as well because it is just single lane and too curvy to pass most of the time. I really don't know how anyone could make it in under 4 hours though I am sure someone has. Anyhow, thanks for all the suggestions from everyone.... Cheers

Etzatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
20 reviews
24 helpful votes
7. Re: Highway 70 from Puerto Vallarta to Guadalajara
Save

I left and driven from my house in Rincon de Guayabitos at 9 AM and was in Tequila at 11:30, I was lucky not running into another car, truck or bus the whole way up the mountain...suerte

8. Re: Highway 70 from Puerto Vallarta to Guadalajara

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2010, 12:16
Get answers to your questions about Guadalajara
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.