We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nursing Homes Near Guadalajara

Brooklyn, NY
5 posts
Nursing Homes Near Guadalajara
Save

I'm looking for an English-speaking nursing home for my mother near Guadalajara. Any advice/recommendations would be appreciated.

Also, I need a decent inexpensive hotel to stay in in Guadalajara while I'm checking things out.

I'm from Brooklyn, NY.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
440 posts
7 reviews
11 helpful votes
1. Re: Nursing Homes Near Guadalajara
Save

I see that your posting has been here for a while with no responses. I would say check out the forums of nearby places with large expatriot populations... Maybe Lake Chapala or Puerto Vallarta. But really I am just thinking of what I know about Mexican culture and thinking that nursing homes are probably not very common??? Maybe a local can confirm or deny this, but Mexican people take care of their family and are not fond of this type of care for the elderly.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
440 posts
7 reviews
11 helpful votes
2. Re: Nursing Homes Near Guadalajara
Save

Maybe you could hire a nurse or caretaker for your mother???

Brooklyn, NY
5 posts
3. Re: Nursing Homes Near Guadalajara
Save

Thank you very much for your responses.

I do know of several nursing homes for expats in Guadalajara, Ajijic, and Chapala, but I posted my query in case anyone might know of others that I hadn't already found on the Web.

Edited: 11 years ago
Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
3 reviews
4 helpful votes
4. Re: Nursing Homes Near Guadalajara
Save

I know several places in Guadalajara, but they arent prepare to speak and attend in English

Is right that Mexican take care of their relatives and some times friends, also.

But not all. So there are quite many places for that purpose. Sersol

Brooklyn, NY
5 posts
5. Re: Nursing Homes Near Guadalajara
Save

Gracias por su mensaje. Sé de algunos lugares cerca de Gudalajara donde se habla Inglés, por ejemplo, en Ajijic. Tenía la esperanza de encontrar más.

Bourke, Australia
Level Contributor
219 posts
6. Re: Nursing Homes Near Guadalajara
Save

What is wrong with the nurseing homes in NY

Brooklyn, NY
5 posts
7. Re: Nursing Homes Near Guadalajara
Save

We intend to move to Pátzcuaro next year, and we don't want to leave my mother in Brooklyn. The nearest English-speaking nursing homes to Pátzcuaro are around Guadalajara and San Miguel, but San Miguel is too expensive.

Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
3 reviews
4 helpful votes
8. Re: Nursing Homes Near Guadalajara
Save

Hello Engelbach.

Dos your mother can stand by her self? or need full assistance. Could you be more specific what are you looking for type of services , etc

You may write me at my private TA mail if you wish.

I have been searching ans asking but there are very different kind of services. As you may know Guadalajara and Mexican costums are different that in US.

Sersol

Brooklyn, NY
5 posts
9. Re: Nursing Homes Near Guadalajara
Save

Thank you for your message.

My mother is in a wheelchair, She can walk with a walker or a cane only for short periods and only when supervised.

She requires 24-7 care, and a regimen of drugs to treat various conditions.

She's 87 years old, fully alert, and extermely intelligent.

Guadalajara
7 posts
10. Re: Nursing Homes Near Guadalajara
Save

What I would do is to come down here and see for yourself some of the nursing homes. Once you are here, you can hire a driver (I can glaldy recommend you one or two) and see in which one your mother feels more comfortable. There is one in Lopez Cotilla. I've seen it and it is a nice one. The doctor speaks english and he is there most of the time. There is another one in Colonia Seatle. It has more open areas. The other one I know of is in Ciudad del Sol. It is a nice neighborhood, the house is pretty big, and the nurses are very kind. I am not sure if they speak english but many times one or two people speak english. There is also a guest house not far from this nursing home where you can stay while you do your search. The family is very kind and helpful and will make you both of you like feel part of the family. :)

Get answers to your questions about Guadalajara
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.