We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Guadalajara

Texas
2 posts
First time to Guadalajara
Save

My husband and I will be going to Guadalajara for 8 days in mid December and need advice on where to stay and what to see. We are on a limited budget but want to stay at a nice hotel near everything where we can walk to markets, etc. I have looked on the internet at Posada Guadalajara, Hotel Cervantes, and Hotel Frances. How are these? Any others that you all would recommend to us? Also, we want to take the tequila express trip. Is this the best way to see the tequila factories? What other things should we absolutely not miss. My husband speaks fluent Spanish and I am currently enrolled in a class so that we can both enjoy the true spirit of the city. Help! Gracias....the cruzs!

Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
1. Re: First time to Guadalajara
Save

Hi,

Hotel Frances if defenitly a nice hotel. I heard a lot of good stories about it. I self never have been there but I live in Guadalajara and read everyday some 40 forums. The website from hotel Frances is : http://www.webtapatio.com/hotelfrances/

The Tequila express trip by train is a nice trip but expensive. I think it is around 700 pesos. There are also bus trips which cost you around 200 pesos. The website from the Tequila Express train is : http://www.tequilaexpress.com.mx/ingles/

I nice thing to visit is the zoo. They have here a really big and nice one.

If you like soccer defenitly go to a game. The ambiance is great. Stadion is filled up with mexican families and the stadion is great.

Than there is the big indoor market which they say it's the biggest in the world. The name of it is San Juan de Dios or Mercado de Libertad. It is right in the center.

Wouter

Los Angeles
1 post
2. Re: First time to Guadalajara
Save

I came back to Los Angeles from a 2 weeks stay in GDL and like yourselfs I was on a limited budget but I found a great place to stay and very afforable pricing. I wanted more than the privicy of a Hotel could give and I wanted to feel at home so I found an apartament fully furnish for arround $30.00 us dollars a day. I felt in love with the location, the area and the people who were very nice and the next time I go GDL want to stay in the same place. If you want more info write to marijo_ortegon@hotmail.com thay are at Av. J. Alvarez de Castillo # 11401-1 Col Chapultepec Country GDL. Jal. 33 3854 4498.

Houston
9 posts
1 review
6 helpful votes
3. Re: First time to Guadalajara
Save

Hi there! You also definately need to visit El Panteon de Belen.(They say that it's haunted) It used to be an old cemetery and it was changed into a museum. They offer tours during the day and also night tours! I took a day tour for about $3-4 dollars. It was so beautiful. They also have some really cool legends too.

Houston
9 posts
1 review
6 helpful votes
4. Re: First time to Guadalajara
Save

Ooohh, I thought of something else. You also need to check out Parque Mirador which has gorgeous views of La Barranca de Huentitan (Sierra Madre Occidental). The canyon is really deep. If you like nature you'll love it!! It costs no more than $1-2 dollars. I can't remember exactly.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
39 reviews
262 helpful votes
5. Re: First time to Guadalajara
Save

You don't say other experiences in Mexico, but assume GDL is probably not first visit. Though..

we took bus from Puerto Vallarta to GDL and spent 4 nights in Tlaquepaque. My wife wanted to see some of real Mexico and I think we did. Took most of two dyas to see old town GDL. churches there are as old as many in Europe. some nice art work.

In 4 days we chose not to do tequilla thing, but with 8 probably would have. I suggest you don't take expensive tour. If your husband speaks Spanish well sure you can use bus system. we used it and speak only some Spanish. We took buses to get around GDL and PV

We were very glad we chose to do that. Made me ok to go back to Mexico and we are to Yucatan in Oct, for the ruins.

By the way add Tlaquepaque to your must list

6. Re: First time to Guadalajara

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

Tripadvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet Tripadvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2008, 02:16
Houston
9 posts
1 review
6 helpful votes
7. Re: First time to Guadalajara
Save

Tonalá is also a good place to shop. A lot of the items sold in Tlaquepaque are made in Tonalá. However, it is not a touristy.. They have big open air markets on Thur and Sundays. Warning: It can get pretty crowded.

Old Tappan, NJ
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
13 helpful votes
8. Re: First time to Guadalajara
Save

Hello Cruzs!

You MUST stay at the Quinta Don Jose B+B in Tlaquepaque (see website www.quintadonjose.com). Check out my review on Trip Advisor...Was our first trip to Guadalajara, and have already booked the inn for next year! Tlaquepaque is only 15 min. from downtown GDL...We had a wonderful driver from the inn take us to Tequila to Jose Cuervo distillery- interesting..Visit Lake Chapala and Aijiic for a nice change...Retaurants in Tlaquepaque are outstanding....If I can help you let me know! The inn is a must do!!!

Christie Barta

Old Tappan, NJ

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
39 reviews
262 helpful votes
9. Re: First time to Guadalajara
Save

Agree with Starr Quinta Don Jose wonderful place to stay. and easy to get to downtown GDL. if you can handle the bus rides. They do bounce along a bit.

10. Re: First time to Guadalajara

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 02:18
Get answers to your questions about Guadalajara
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.