We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Emailing Credit Card Numbers

Shelby, North...
Level Contributor
223 posts
23 reviews
11 helpful votes
Emailing Credit Card Numbers
Save

We will be spending one night in Tlaquepaque in May. We inquired with two B&B's (Casa Telquepaque and Casa Rosa Morada). Both had available rooms that meet our needs. However, each wanted us to email a credit card number to reserve our room. No secure website or PayPal deposit method.

In the USA, I wouldn't email a credit card number to reserve the Holiday Inn three miles from my house.

Am I being overly cautious?

Thanks much.

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
3 reviews
3 helpful votes
1. Re: Emailing Credit Card Numbers
Save

I also am one of those persons that doesn't like to send their cc info via email. I booked at a B&B in Tlaquepaque (not either of the above) but sent them an email telling them I would call them on their US toll free number and give them the cc info. They were fine about that. Perhaps you can do the same.

Casa Telquepaque's toll free US number is 1-866-601-6838.

Rosa Morada doesn't have a toll free number but you could call them in Mexico. Their number is on their website.

Shelby, North...
Level Contributor
223 posts
23 reviews
11 helpful votes
2. Re: Emailing Credit Card Numbers
Save

Thanks very much. Will use their toll free number to provide my cc number. It's not that I don't trust the hotel in Tlaquepaque, I just don't trust my email connection in the USA.

Thanks again. Your suggestion made very good sense.

Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
3 reviews
4 helpful votes
3. Re: Emailing Credit Card Numbers
Save

Hello. Rosa Morada is a small place, not a corporation chain hotel. That is the way some places in Mexico works, and they are reliable. I think you can give them your card numbers and sleep O.K. Sersol

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
10,795 posts
130 reviews
162 helpful votes
4. Re: Emailing Credit Card Numbers
Save

I always send my cc details in 2 separate emails, making sure that they don't containwords like credit card, Visa etc., which could be found using a search engine. Put asterisks or whatever in place of digits. Or juest send a third email saying you are splitting the number into two.

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
10,795 posts
130 reviews
162 helpful votes
5. Re: Emailing Credit Card Numbers
Save

I always send my cc details in 2 separate emails, making sure that they don't containwords like credit card, Visa etc., which could be found using a search engine. Put asterisks or whatever in place of digits. Or juest send a third email saying you are splitting the number into two.

Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
3 reviews
4 helpful votes
6. Re: Emailing Credit Card Numbers
Save

I´m agree with londinense. That is a smarth way to do it and avoid "snoopy" Sersol

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
3 reviews
3 helpful votes
7. Re: Emailing Credit Card Numbers
Save

The only problem with that is if your email account is hacked they can look at all your inbound and sent messages any. Fortunately it doesn't happen often. Be wary of wifi since it's easier to hack into.

Shelby, North...
Level Contributor
223 posts
23 reviews
11 helpful votes
8. Re: Emailing Credit Card Numbers
Save

Thanks much for all of your input. Obviously, this is an issue when booking reservations. And, I certainly understand that smaller hotels and B&B’s normally don’t have secure internet website reservation systems.

I asked the question to our IT folks where I work (a college): “Would you email your credit card number and security code to anywhere (within the USA or outside) to confirm a hotel reservation?” Including using separate emails. Their answer was a resounding NO! I told them that I run a firewall, continuously updated virus protection, and anti-intrusion/anti-malware programs on my computer. The question seemed so silly to them that they thought I was joking. Never email cc numbers!!!

I have contacted a couple of the hotels/B&B’s in Tlaquepaque about phoning my information. The responses: “Call at 10 a.m” ; Call between 2 p.m. and 4 p.m.” Excuse me, I am the customer. And it is not an issue with language. I can speak, read, and write Spanish.

This kind of issue is so simply resolved. As part of our trip to Mexico, we will be spending three nights in Queretaro. The house has 3 bedrooms. We sent our deposit via PayPal. No problems for the innkeeper. (Cash deposited) Security for us. (PayPal payment backed by CC protection).

Thanks again for your responses.

9. Re: Emailing Credit Card Numbers

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 09:18
Get answers to your questions about Guadalajara
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.