We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dress for a young adult male

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
954 posts
16 reviews
20 helpful votes
Dress for a young adult male
Save

We will be in Guadalajara, Tlaquepaque and Tonala in August. Would like to know what is the appropriate clothing for my nephew that is 21 years old. We are going to be staying at a very nice hotel in Guad. and would like to experience 2 nice dinners. Possibly also go to Santo Coyote Cantina one night. What would be the best clothing for him to bring? And how casual can we dress while we are out walking around shopping? We will also be taking a city tour, shopping in Tlaquepaque and Tonala. Also what are the temperatures like in August for the Guadalajara area. Coming from Texas and Puerto Vallarta so we can easily take the heat and humidity. Thanks for your help.

London
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
1. Re: Dress for a young adult male
Save

Guadalajara is a big, laid back city.If you dont want to feel really out of place, just don't wear sandals, shorts and hawaiian shirts, Guadalajara is a city after all, not a beach resort. Your nephew can dress casual. Even if he follows a subcultural trend or alternative lifestyle (hare krishna, hippie, emo, gothic, etc.), he will be fine. Suit and tie is an appropiate attire for VERY formal dinners and things like that.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
954 posts
16 reviews
20 helpful votes
2. Re: Dress for a young adult male
Save

Thanks for the response. He is a basic normal clean cut kid from the University of Texas (business major) so he is not too wild of a dresser. I will have him bring long khaki pants and a nice shirt. Also sounds like us women can easily wear nice sundresses. We do like to dress for dinner. Thanks so much.

Alexandria,Louisiana
2 posts
3. Re: Dress for a young adult male
Save

I was in Guadalajara in June '06. The weather was warm at that time, probably around 90 degrees during the day but the evenings were mild. It was an okay place to visit. We also went to Tlaquepaque and Tonala. I did enjoy going to all the flea markets though.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
954 posts
16 reviews
20 helpful votes
4. Re: Dress for a young adult male
Save

JusMe71, When you visited Tlaquepaque and Tonala, didn't you dress very casual... walking shorts... I have been to the two places and can not imagine dressing up to go there and shop. Maybe casual shorts and a nice top? What do you think? Thanks for your input.

Alexandria,Louisiana
2 posts
5. Re: Dress for a young adult male
Save

Yes...I think that's fine. Really the only time I "dressed up" was when we went out to eat or something like that. I can relate to what you said about the humidity me being from Louisiana. It was more humid there in june than what I thought it would be. The only other place I've been to in Mexico is Mexico City and the weather there was very nice. It's true you don't see too many people wearing shorts there, but I did. I don't know if it was me being paranoid but I felt like I got stared at a lot. I think you should dress the way you feel comfortable, considering the temperature. Hope you have a good trip. I know I sure do look forward to going back to Mexico in the future!!

Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
43 posts
6. Re: Dress for a young adult male
Save

You don't have to worry with a jeans or khakis with a nice shirt you don't have any problems even in the nicer restaurants, but be prepared is the raining season in Gdl.

San Pedro...
Level Contributor
89 posts
15 reviews
21 helpful votes
7. Re: Dress for a young adult male
Save

Agree with Chichifo, nice casual will fit in just fine. Many people do wear Hawaiian shirts, shorts and sandals but they do tend to "stick out".

Have a great visit!

Arturo

QDJ

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
954 posts
16 reviews
20 helpful votes
8. Re: Dress for a young adult male
Save

Artster, Thanks for the information. We do not dress the typical tourist look, but I just have to have comfortable walking shoes (Ecco) and nice shoes and dress for dinner I think that we will be fine. So excited that we already want to spend and extra day and night! Thanks again for the input.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
58 reviews
143 helpful votes
9. Re: Dress for a young adult male
Save

I always wear a jacket but normally no tie to the better restaurants in Guadalajara feeling more comfortable in that attire.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
10. Re: Dress for a young adult male
Save

Just came back from GDL two months ago, and I had a great time. Dress casually. I wore Shorts and Sandals every day that I was there, and never once did I feel out of place. It is a very laid back city and was magnificent. And besides, you do not typically find a young Afro-Caribbean man walking around GDL. The people and the city was magnificent.

Enjoy

Get answers to your questions about Guadalajara
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.