We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don Quinto hotel reviews real????

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
73,735 posts
65 reviews
126 helpful votes
Don Quinto hotel reviews real????
Save

Hi there, I've been following old threads and reading reviews thinking of visiting the area in October.

Out of 10 Don Quinto reviews only 3 seem "real" to me.

By that I mean that they were written by folks who have contributed in other ways to these TA forums. The others were written by folks whose ONLY contribution was the review. As you can see from my profile,I am on TA a lot! Any locals with thoughts on this topic?

My husband and I are active,retired folks who speak spanish enough to get by most times. We'd like to have a lovely romantic stay and be able to get to tourist sites in the city and the surrounding area without driving ourselves.Where should we stay? Who/what should we use to get to ruins,lake ,Rio Caliente etc.?

Best value hotels in Guadalajara
Villa Ganz Hotel Boutique
Villa Ganz Hotel Boutique
#2 of 155 hotels in Guadalajara
Real Maestranza Hotel
Real Maestranza Hotel
#1 of 155 hotels in Guadalajara
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
14,688 posts
1. Re: Don Quinto hotel reviews real????
Save

If you mean Quinta Don Jose, it's a really nice place. We've stayed there. Or is it another place you're referring to?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
73,735 posts
65 reviews
126 helpful votes
2. Re: Don Quinto hotel reviews real????
Save

SO sorry!! Yes Quinta Don Jose. I am unhappy thinking that only a few of the reviews seemed like they were written by people who have other posts. You certainly are a "real" rec.

It has been said that the area where it is located is less than pleasant. I am very comfy in big cities and am "street smart" but on vacation I do not have to choose a place where I'd feel uncomfortable walking on the street. Any thoughts??

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
73,735 posts
65 reviews
126 helpful votes
3. Re: Don Quinto hotel reviews real????
Save

careyeroslib, I don't see a review of yours about the Quinta Don Jose. I found a really positive one you wrote about La Perla. Do you think that would be a better choice?

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
58 reviews
143 helpful votes
4. Re: Don Quinto hotel reviews real????
Save

Finest hotel in Guadalajara IMO is Quinta Real. All suites but the ones with the bathroom spas at $202 (at December exchange rate) plus tax including an in the room full breakfast are especially nice. We honeymooned there in suite # 45 in '98 & have returned to the same suite several times including this past Thanksgiving.

Living area/office/dinning & of course bedrooms area which is sunken. This hotel is ALL about the customer's wishes & desires. Never been refused a request there. They even off 4 different softnesses of pillows to chose from. Bathrooms are heaven. Free INTERNET, CD player with CDs & a mini-bar that is actually affordable. Our favorite in this or any other world! Feel free to E-mail with any questions.

PA A real bonus for my wife is the All Shoe Mall a few blocks up the street.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
14,688 posts
5. Re: Don Quinto hotel reviews real????
Save

I admit I didn´t write one but it wasn´t that we didn´t enjoy our stay. At that point I didn´t even bother to write reviews of many hotels, but since then, I´ve been writing more, even of Travelodges and the like. I had thought of writing one later (we stayed at QDJ in July 2006) but it seemed too late. And they seemed to be doing very well.

Both La Perla and Quinta Don Jose are very nice places to stay and both will take care of you without being annoying or overcharging. Both will arrange transportation for you and give you lots of good help. Coincidentally, we´re going to Guadalajara this weekend and probably would have stayed at Quinta Don Jose but they were full. The only reason we didn´t consider La Perla for this trip is we prefer gated or underground parking. We did however e-mail the owners of QDJ to ask for recommendations on where to get a bedspread and they graciously answered immediately.

Anyway, it´s hard for me to recommend one over the other as we have enjoyed both. Chris and Lars (owners of La Perla) would make your trip special and so would Arturo and Estella (of Quinta Don Jose)

I suppose, in the end, it depends a bit on whether you want to explore downtown a bit more than Tlaquepaque. We´re driving and going to Teatro Degollado to the symphony, but we´ll probably drive out to Tlaquepaque for shopping. The latter is also closer to Lake Chapala.

Good luck!

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
14,688 posts
6. Re: Don Quinto hotel reviews real????
Save

Peddlar, we considered the Quinta Real this time but they were full on the Saturday night. But, again, a good choice indeed.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
73,735 posts
65 reviews
126 helpful votes
7. Re: Don Quinto hotel reviews real????
Save

carey....Thankyou for taking the time to answer me and help me feel more secure in the possiblities.

I certainly believe that you are sincere in your recommendations. I hope to make a decision soon and to arrange a trip early this October.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
14,688 posts
8. Re: Don Quinto hotel reviews real????
Save

Hi again riffsmom:

We just returned from Guadalajara and I had a couple of insights. We spent one day in the Historic Centre (going to the symphony and church) and one day in Tlaquepaque shopping and walking around.

I really think that as a base for a pleasure trip you really can't beat Tlaquepaque. There's no real "browse" type shopping in downtown Guadalajara, but in Tlaquepaque you walk around and every store almost is something fun to browse. There are sidewalk cafes too. Very picturesque, like being in Europe.

And downtown is a short and cheap cab ride away. The Historic Centre is definitely worth a day or two but, in my opinion, unless you're really into churches and museums that's enough. For example, right around where La Perla is there are tons and tons of stores selling bridal wear, but that's it. But, on the good side, there are nice restaurants within walking distance and you can walk to the Historic Centre without being in the noise and hub bub of staying right in the Historic Centre itself.

Hope this helps (and didn't bore)

Libby

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
73,735 posts
65 reviews
126 helpful votes
9. Re: Don Quinto hotel reviews real????
Save

Thanks again Libby , for taking the time to think about my questions and expand on your previous answers. I will pass on your thoughts to my husband and let you know what we eventually decide.

Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
3 reviews
4 helpful votes
10. Re: Don Quinto hotel reviews real????
Save

If is Quinta Don Jose at Tlaquepaque I was very disappointed with what they call a suite. The people staff are very friendly.

I would suggest you, the Hotel Morales, very well location in down town, an unic and nice fully renovated Hotel in Guadalajara, (but no pool) where you can move easily to Tlaquepaue, and arrange tours to pyramids etc

Get answers to your questions about Guadalajara
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.