We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tlaquepaque or Guadalajara?

Vancouver, Canada
2 posts
Tlaquepaque or Guadalajara?
Save

I'll be in Guadalajara for five days in November, but haven't yet booked accommodation. I'm thinking of staying in Tlaquepaque because it seems somewhat more relaxing, however, I'm wondering how convenient it is, or if there's enough to do. I know how far it is from downtown/old town, but traffic could be impossible, I'm not sure. Any recommendation is appreciated. Thanks.

Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
3 reviews
4 helpful votes
1. Re: Tlaquepaque or Guadalajara?
Save

Hello,lotuslife11.Definitely Guadalajara down town will be the best option to stay, especially if you are going to stay 5 days; then spend one day visiting Tlaquepaque.

You may visit the page for sugested intineray.

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/9e939/e7e5f/

Best Regards. Rosa Elena

Sonoma County, CA
3 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
2. Re: Tlaquepaque or Guadalajara?
Save

I stayed in Tlaquepaque last month and loved it. It is quieter than Guad. If you can afford it, Quinta Don Jose and Casa de las Flores are just wonderful to stay at. If you stay longer than 3 days, I believe, Quinta will send a driver. I went to Tonala for market days which is 10 minutes by taxi and it is 10 minutes by taxi to downtown Guad.

Tlaque.. is also close to the airport for convenience. Both Quinta and Casa are mere blocks from Calle Independencia which is the walking, shopping street. If you know of a place on the outskirts of Guad okay. But the hotels downtown are noisy. But, then all of Mexico has some degree of noise. Sandy

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
39 reviews
262 helpful votes
3. Re: Tlaquepaque or Guadalajara?
Save

we had spent a week with larger family in Puerto Vallarta. Wife wanted to see some of real Mexico, so we chose Guadalajara. for 4 nights. After a few checks we chose tlaquepaque and quinta don jose. was excellent choice for us. fairly easy bus ride, 20 mins or less, to historic district, and evenings at QDJ very relaxing.

Hope you do not plan to drive.

Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
3 reviews
4 helpful votes
4. Re: Tlaquepaque or Guadalajara?
Save

lotuslife.

I' m agree that our big city is noise, but the hotels Morales and Santiago de Compostela ARE NOT NOICE, AT ALL. They have special windows, etc.

This Hotels are much superior, and cheaper, that the ones in Tlaquepaque. What they call a suite in Tlaquepaque isnt close to the quality of a regular room at The Morales or Santiago de Compostela.

Even we are from Guadalajara ,we like once in a wile to spend a night in the hotels of the area.

Guadalajara down town has a lot more to do and to see, that the one day shopping in Tlaquepaque. Saludos a todos. Sergio

Vancouver, Canada
2 posts
5. Re: Tlaquepaque or Guadalajara?
Save

Thanks to all for the advice. I have booked into the Quinta Don Jose because I've read so many good things about the place. As long as it's convenient, I'd rather travel a short distance to the downtown action in any city and have a place to retreat to at the end of the day.

Principiante - thanks for letting me know about the travel time to Tonala - I was trying to figure that out.

Phirl - no, I wouldn't attempt to drive in Guadalajara - I'm going there to relax...

Level Contributor
1,823 posts
23 reviews
48 helpful votes
6. Re: Tlaquepaque or Guadalajara?
Save

Hi Lotsoflove. When you return could you please comment on how you liked staying in Tlaquepaque and at the Quinta DOn Jose. That is exactly what I have planned for next February. I am also concerned that there will be enough to do and if the location is convenient or not. Since I'll be leaving winter, I want a place with a pool and there doesn't seem to be many hotels that have pools in Guadadalajara. I dont want to spend $200 a night either.The atmopshere sounds great at Quinta Don Jose.

I look forward to your comments. Thank you

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
20 helpful votes
7. Re: Tlaquepaque or Guadalajara?
Save

I would never stay in Tlaquepaque, meyba be cause i dont like small towns, i prefer big cities, cosmopolitan style and modern stuffs, in Guadalajara for me, the best option is Lafayette, theres tons of options in acomodations, suites, hotels and rooms with breakfast around that area, wich is safer, centrical, close to everything and quite beautiful, this is the best option in Guadalajara of course if u are into high fashion shopping, museums, art galleries, contempo bars and cafes and luxurious dinning.

But if you are more into small village, craftmanships, mexican old folk and touristic stuff, stay at Tlaquepaque.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
14,688 posts
8. Re: Tlaquepaque or Guadalajara?
Save

I don't agree at all with raveonpragha. I doubt he has any first hand experience of either Guadalajara or Tlaquepaque. Tlaquepaque is home to some very upscale sophisticated stores and galleries as well as restaurants, sidewalk cafes, etc.

I also agree with previous posters that it's possible to stay downtown, or close to downtown, and not be overwhelmed with noise. We like both Tlaquepaque and Guadalajara; just depends on the purpose of our trip. We've stayed at Quinta Don Jose and you won't be disappointed. Have fun, lotuslife

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
20 helpful votes
9. Re: Tlaquepaque or Guadalajara?
Save

I never said tlaquepaque didn't offer nice things, and is very important to mention AGAIN, that if you are looking for upscale malls, bars, clubs and restaurants and the modern part of this metropolitan area you will definitly stay at Guadalajara or Zapopan.

I love Tlaquepaque, but there's no doubt that is not the modern face of GMZ.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
58 reviews
143 helpful votes
10. Re: Tlaquepaque or Guadalajara?
Save

"Posted on: 8:56 am, yesterday Save

I don't agree at all with raveonpragha. I doubt he has any first hand experience of either Guadalajara or Tlaequepaque. "

What gives you the right to question another's credentials? I for one agree with him & My Mexican experience will more than match yours. You owe this man & board a apology IMO

Get answers to your questions about Guadalajara
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.