We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Small Town to visit outside of Guadalajara

Harlingen, Texas
Level Contributor
71 posts
68 reviews
31 helpful votes
Small Town to visit outside of Guadalajara
Save

Hi,

My friends and I flying to Guadalajara on May 24th. We arrive into Guadalajara 2 days before our reservations at Real Naturalista, a vegetarian spa in Jocotepec. We are looking for a town to visit outside of Guadalajara, because we will spend our last day in Guadalajara.

1. What town do you suggest we visit outside of Guadalajara? That is accessible by bus

from the airport ?

Tlaquepaque

Lake Chapala

Mazamitla

Tequila

2. What hotel do you suggest that we stay at in central Guadalajara so we can see

several major tourist sites? (the hotel does not need to be fancy- budget is fine). Our

departs on Friday at 11:00am.

Thank you for your help. I tried to provide you with basic general information, so you can give me ideas. Please let me know if you need more details. I really appreciate your help. We do speak Spanish.

11 replies to this topic
Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
6 helpful votes
1. Re: Small Town to visit outside of Guadalajara
Save

Hi! Jeamonique!

1. My first recommendation would be to consider different transportation methods. The in-state bus services in Jalisco are not particularly good. If there are a couple of you on the trip, I would suggest renting a car and picking it at the airport. From there you could visit a couple of towns around Jocotepec.

For example:

Lake Chapala is basically next to Jocotepec, it is a 30 min drive.

Mazamitla is across the lake, getting there from Jocotepec would probably take you 90 minutes by car.

Tequila is a bit farther away, but it could still be a single-day trip from Guadalajara.

In short. I would recommend renting a car, drive to Tequila (or Mazamitla), spend a night there and then move to Chapala/or Ajijic, spend a night there, and then drive to Jocotepec. Finally, on your way to Guadalajara, you could stop in Tlaquepaque and have lunch or dinner there.

2. My first recommendation would be to consider an Airbnb in the Chapultepec zone. But if you prefer a hotel, check out Casa Bruselas. It is small, well situated and nice, although it is not strictly budget.

If you need any more help, don´t hesitate to reach out.

Saludos!

Harlingen, Texas
Level Contributor
71 posts
68 reviews
31 helpful votes
2. Re: Small Town to visit outside of Guadalajara
Save

Hi DiegoXX,

Thanks for all of the great information. Is Guadalajara safe enough for me to rent a car on my own and sightsee? My friends are going to the spa early and I'd like to explore the area on my own. Thanks for your feedback.

Jieamonique

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
497 posts
3. Re: Small Town to visit outside of Guadalajara
Save

Tlaquepaque is part of Guadalajara, a suburb.

I have been to all of these places and hands down, you should visit Tequila. It is only 42 miles from Guadalajara

It is very charming and walkable. You can take a tour of a distillery and have a nice meal. It would be a nice place to stay overnight. The views are incredibly beautiful, oh those agave fields. It would be easy to get to by bus.

Mazamitla is a mountain town, people like to go there to party and get out of the city into nature. While it is nice, it is a bit far for you. I would not want to rent a car, a lot of hassle.

Hotel Morales is a great one in the historic center; otherwise there are nice places to stay in Tlaquepaque.

Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
6 helpful votes
4. Re: Small Town to visit outside of Guadalajara
Save

Hi Jieamonique

I believe it is safe as long as you avoid some parts of the city. I would also recommend avoiding street parking in order not to get the car vandalized. But besides that, I believe renting a car is a great and much more practical option for sightseeing and get the most out of your time here.

Saludos,

Harlingen, Texas
Level Contributor
71 posts
68 reviews
31 helpful votes
5. Re: Small Town to visit outside of Guadalajara
Save

BrownRoyal,

Thank you for your great feedback. I'll definitely visit Tequila. I didn't realize it was so close to Guadalajara. I think I'll stay in Tlaquepaque with my friends. I noticed that there is a market in Tonala on Thursday and Saturday. (I must check if it is still open). I'm looking forward to the distillery tour. Stay safe and thanks again.

jieamonique

Harlingen, Texas
Level Contributor
71 posts
68 reviews
31 helpful votes
6. Re: Small Town to visit outside of Guadalajara
Save

Hi DiegoXX,

Thank you for the great advice. You really planned the trip out for me. I'll decide on a rental car, a bus, or a driver (probably a waste of $$). Quick question, I'll look it up as well. If I rent a car in Guadalajara at the airport,do you think I can return it in Jocotepec? I am super excited about the trip. Is there anything that I must see while I'm there? I read the local food is a birrirria- (I don't know if I spelled this correctly), but I'll pass, I'm not a big meat eater.

Thanks again for your help. Youre much appreciated! Stay safe!

jieamonique

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
497 posts
7. Re: Small Town to visit outside of Guadalajara
Save

Birria is definitely for those who like meat! In Guadalajara central, you can walk to Siete Esquinas (7 corners) for a famous place. It is a nice little spot to see even if you don't eat. Special sort of energy.

The Tonala market is amazing. It is all along the street for many blocks and side streets and is huge. But I do not know in Covid times what it is like, as it is very packed in.

I would ask at your spa in Jocotepec about the options for getting there. If you don't mind huge cities and lots of traffic, you could do the car rental. But car rental in Mexico is not inexpensive and make sure you understand the cost of insurance.

Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
6 helpful votes
8. Re: Small Town to visit outside of Guadalajara
Save

Hi Jieamonique!

About the car rental return in Jocotepec. I´m pretty sure they won´t have an office there. You would probably need to return it at the airport and get an Uber/taxi from there to Jocotepec.

Birria is really good, but not for everyone haha. I would definitely suggest you give it a try. I second Brownroyel´s recommendation, although I think it is the 9 esquinas, not 7. You could also try it at the plaza in Jocotepec, my first choice would be "El Tartamudo". You could also try tacos de barbacoa, Tacos Juan are my favorite, they have a couple of places around Guadalajara, but I would recommend visiting their original spot which is in a neighborhood called Santa Tere.

If you have the time, maybe plan a day trip to Ajijic, it is also by the lake and it is not far from Jocotepec. It is really nice to walk around, with lots of nice coffee shops and restaurants.

Saludos

dchavez@lo-co.app

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
497 posts
9. Re: Small Town to visit outside of Guadalajara
Save

Diego you are certainly correct. It is 9 Esquinas, not 7. I was going from memory and it was a long time ago I was there. Easy to remember such a cute little plaza and the birria.

You can look it up on google street view--Plaza de las 9 Esquinas.

Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
for San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas
Level Contributor
5,965 posts
10. Re: Small Town to visit outside of Guadalajara
Save

jieamonique I would reco basically what DiegoXX does - rent a car when you arrive and plan to return it to the airport when you leave. The Casa Bruseles is an excellent selection in Colonia Americana which knowing your timing and status I reco just around there on foot your first day. Guadalajara itself is a city of the size and actually reminds me most of Los Angeles in the US - there are many different areas each one can take a day. Diego is likely from here, I have lived here 6 yrs out of lots more in MX and really its like most cities one that has many facades, I will argue anywhere you miss the point of it all by running around too much.

Col Americana around there, walk down Calle Libertad and breakfast in the 19th C mansion atmosphere, go early in May sun see the Centro Historico - the great museums remain shuttered but just the Plaza de Armas and de Independencia are awesome, then saunter over to 9 Esquinas and you can eat birria. Col Americana and Casa Bruseles - well they are for afternoon learning to relax.

For another day you could just uber/taxi to tlaquepaque or indeed parks like Los Colomos in Zapopan. For more adventure https://conoceguadalajara.com/atractivos/la-barranca-de-huentitan-y-el-puente-de-arcediano. With anthropologists or historians in the group a tour to Guachimontones is the choics for me over or including the pueblo of Tequila. https://www.facebook.com/jorge.curiel.flores is a great guide- covid has effected many people but you speak Spanish, call people.

Guadalajara metro area is full of traffic and highways, yes we are a metro area of 8 million so do not I suggest waste your spa energy fighting traffic. Casa Bruseles and vicinity in itself would be my plan, , there you are in the center of lots of bars, cafés, restaurants and people who will know what is happening. Always call now in advance cuz closures and changes happen all the time for pandemic best practices.

Edited: 30 April 2021, 08:53
Reply to: Small Town to visit outside of Guadalajara
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Guadalajara
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.