We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Move to Guadalajara or Mex City for a family?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
34 posts
12 reviews
2 helpful votes
Move to Guadalajara or Mex City for a family?
Save

Hello!

We’re a family of 4 (2 kids: 1.5 + 5 years old) + 64 year old grandma. We’ve been contemplating moving to Mexico for a while, and finally putting some things in motion. We always had our heart set on Mex City (we’ve been there a bunch of times), but recently a lot of people have told us to look into Guadalajara. What draw us about el DF are ALL the fun stuff to do as a couple, as a family, and just all the cultural touch points it has to offer. Plus the museums and kid activities. We’ve never been to Guadalajara (we’re planning to spend 3 weeks in July/Aug). My questions are: what are the biggest pros/cons of both cities for a family? What kid activities/parks do we need to check out in both cities? What neighborhood would be ideal for us to stay in Guadalajara? Keep in mind we want to be in a community that’s more local than expat. I’m a native Spanish speaker.

TIA!

4 replies to this topic
Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
6 helpful votes
1. Re: Move to Guadalajara or Mex City for a family?
Save

Hello TIA!

First of all, I believe your strategy to visit Guadalajara for a couple of weeks before making the final decision is awesome. You will get to explore and experience the city and convince yourself why people recommend you to consider Guadalajara. Even though it is not as big as Mexico city it is still huge, it has approximately 7 m people. This means you will find everything you would expect but it won´t feel as crowded.

Besides the touristy things to visit in the city, I would recommend renting a car and plan a couple of small trips to nearby attractions like Tapalpa, Chapala, and of course Tequila. If you are interested I would happily help you plan these trips.

I wouldn´t know much about kid's activities, but regarding neighborhoods, I would recommend checking out Chapultepec, Chapalita, or Providencia. They are well situated and have that local vibe you seem to be after.

DC

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
34 posts
12 reviews
2 helpful votes
2. Re: Move to Guadalajara or Mex City for a family?
Save

This is super helpful. Thank you, DC!

Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
6 helpful votes
3. Re: Move to Guadalajara or Mex City for a family?
Save

Glad I could help. If you need anything else don't hesitate to reach out.

Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
for San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas
Level Contributor
5,966 posts
4. Re: Move to Guadalajara or Mex City for a family?
Save

hey Welcome. I am a US citizen by birth Permanent res of mx for 17 years, happy to help. You need of course to do the school and visa things, I am happy to help - it takes some time. You need a visa: https://www.gob.mx/inm/acciones-y-programas/tramites-migratorios.

Basically need some form of decent income money either a company or there or proof of income. Lotsa foreigners living in Mexico but you need say $20K per adult.

Edited: 03 May 2021, 04:12
Reply to: Move to Guadalajara or Mex City for a family?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Guadalajara
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.