We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mini trip report

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
287 reviews
94 helpful votes
Mini trip report
Save

I made a super quick trip up to Guadalajara this past Wednesday through Friday. Took in the tianguis in Tonalá Thursday. Hotel Morales was a perfect Centro base station. Clean, affordable and the staff is great. Restaurant on sight was consistently good and the pool quite refreshing.

Uber was the best way to get around when I wasn't exploring on foot. The historical buildings are an architectural dream if that is your thing. Lots of mall shopping available. PF Chang's food was to die for and transportation via Vallarta plus bus service was a no brainer.

Covid19 protocols still in place but things seem to be a bit more relaxed. So happy to have my very first visit and it certainly won't be the last.

18 replies to this topic
Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
7,736 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Mini trip report
Save

How long is the bus trip?

Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
3 helpful votes
2. Re: Mini trip report
Save

Glad you enjoyed it littlemomma_1955!

Definitely, there are many other nice things to go while visiting Guadalajara. Happy to remotely help next time you come back :)

Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
3 helpful votes
3. Re: Mini trip report
Save

The Bus takes between 4-5 hours on a normal day. If it is a long weekend it can take up to 7-8 hours due to traffic.

As VALLARTA PLUS, there are other good options: ETN and Omnibus de México (this last one is the least recommended one).

Concord, California
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
20,314 posts
222 reviews
367 helpful votes
4. Re: Mini trip report
Save

Guadalajara is an easy place to get addicted to, littlemomma, as you just found out.

I'd been there several times in my youth, but not for many years so we did 6 one-way bus trips in the last few years. 3-night, 4-day trips mostly, but also stayed for a week in Ajijic one trip. It's one of those places where you never run out of things to do or places to eat, explore and anjoy.

For your next trip, you might want to try Tlaquepaque. We loved our 3 nights there during Christmas time one year. It was my husband's first trip there and he loved it too. We need to return ourselves.

On our bus trips (for yaz in post#1), every trip was a little different, in the time the bus took. Two one-ways were on Pacifico luxury from the PV bus station to the Zapopan terminal (that's if you're staying downtown) ---- traveling there was 4 hrs 45 minutes. Coming back was on VallartaPlus. It took 5 1/2 hours that trip, as the traffic that morning leaving town was horrific.

Our other trips were all on Primera Plus. Excellent line. Frequent schedule and all the other bells-and-whistles, like an excellent driver, bag lunch, service for luggage under the bus, very clean bus/restrooms, etc.

Going up the mountains on the ride where we stayed in Tlaquepaque (across the city to the East of Centro), we got off at the main station (further into Tlaquepaque) thus had the cross-city traffic. Took 5 hrs and 45 mins going and 6 1/2 hrs returning. The return delay was due to an accident on the cuota, winding through the mountains. Traffic was stopped.

So, the time will vary. The doctors I know who come down to Puerto Vallarta from Guadalajara regularly (in the dental/medical office I patronize) have told me traffic delays and accidents happen periodically, so to always plan accordingly on a bus trip back down (steep terrain) if you have to be somewhere or catch a plane.

The scenery along the route is beautiful in places though and the bus is very comfortable. Many of the passengers sleep through the ride.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
287 reviews
94 helpful votes
5. Re: Mini trip report
Save

The bus from Bucerías at 8am was 4 hours and return trip at 2pm was 4.5 hours. Super easy are very relaxing. I will do it again in a heartbeat.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
287 reviews
94 helpful votes
6. Re: Mini trip report
Save

Gracias Eduardo por su atención.

Concord, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,314 posts
222 reviews
367 helpful votes
7. Re: Mini trip report
Save

That's really speedy, littlemomma. Do you know if you took any part of the new road? We haven't done the trip for about 3 years, so were on the original road.

I can see it being that short a ride though leaving from Bucerias as my first trip on the bus to Zapopan was 2014 from the PV bus statioin and it was only 4 hr 45 mins. Zero traffic. All others took much longer.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
287 reviews
94 helpful votes
8. Re: Mini trip report
Save

MarlySF, you are correct, I got off at the Zapopan station.

Edited: 24 March 2021, 06:52
Fremont, California
Level Contributor
62,602 posts
8,639 reviews
4,008 helpful votes
9. Re: Mini trip report
Save

Happy you had a good time. Thanks for your trip report.

Concord, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,314 posts
222 reviews
367 helpful votes
10. Re: Mini trip report
Save

Have you taken the bus to Guadalajara, mini? If so, let us know how it went for you.

Littlemomma ---- the only time I wasn't happy with the delay (and it was returning from Zapopan and took way longer than your trip) was a day I was catching the plane home. I had hoped to get to the PV bus station about 2-1/2 hours before my flight. A taxi ride is only 5 minutes.

As it was, I got there with much less time to spare and, walking into the airport, the line for Alaska Airlines was all the way across the doors to Departure. Panic!! Turns out they were processing 3 US-return flights at once. Anyway, I was sure I would miss my plane. As I got closer to the front, my plane was going to leave in 35 minutes. At that point, found out plane had been delayed due to weather.

Whew. That's why I mentioned that sometimes (semi-frequently) there are delays coming or going. Best to take-it-easy, and not try to make that connection to a flight. Not a problem for you, living there.

Go for longer though. Also, one suggestion is ---- next time you go for a longer visit, take the double-decker red Hop On-Hop-Off bus. We did that for my husband's first trip and it was a GREAT experience. You can set your own schedule. We had the 48-hour pass and had time to get virtually everywhere. They had 3-different routes, so you literally get all over town.

I wonder if they do that currently, with COVID. It worked so well for us ---- we would both do it again.

Reply to: Mini trip report
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Guadalajara
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of in . If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.