We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Guadalajara open?

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
41 posts
Is Guadalajara open?
Save

Heading to Playa del Carmen in early September and thinking about catching a flight to Guadalajara assuming it's open. Would just wander around the city and go to the touristy places (e.g., town squares, churches, museums, landmarks). Is this doable? If COVID-19 restrictions are in place, what should a be prepared for (masks, gloves, etc)? Also, any recommendations for a hotel would be appreciated. I like nice pools and want something that's near a lot of stuff. My budget is around $100 a night. Thanks!

21 replies to this topic
Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
for San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas
Level Contributor
5,965 posts
1. Re: Is Guadalajara open?
Save

No. It is a global pandemic if you have not heard,. All is closed, museums and such. We are very careful about travel and all of the restrictions, mandatory masks. Its actually unthinkable to me that you would consider travel now - we are working on home schooling for our kids and safety. Come in a year, not now.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
41 posts
2. Re: Is Guadalajara open?
Save

Playa del Carmen and Cancún are open. Under the Mexican government's "stoplight" system, both Quintana Roo and Jalisco are "orange." So could you please be more specific? Thanks.

Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,965 posts
3. Re: Is Guadalajara open?
Save

It is a dangerous time to travel now. The orange lights and such are from political pressure from commercial interests. All of our universities, schools, museums, any govt bldgs, most places are shut down, we are a responsible country and tourist visits are strongly discouraged now. Just please stay home JB J. I work in the arts and we have cancelled all through next March at least. Our Covid arrived from Colorado in March. You are basically not wanted here now. You can PM me here. We typically travel alot, best not now.

Edited: 27 August 2020, 13:07
Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,965 posts
4. Re: Is Guadalajara open?
Save

https://mx.usembassy.gov/health-alert-mexico-covid-19-08-12-2020/ a couple weeks ago. You PM´d me with somebody´s saying things were OK - I am giving you Pt of View of a long term MX Permanent Resident. They are not very knowledgable. We have been working all fronts now to contain the virus. I know a nurse and her daughter dead. A doctor dying. Many suffering and you add to the stress on the population. We are sure open for essential business but no museums, classes, fiestas, festivals, arts events, concerts. All the good stuff. No museums or university students arriving now August, they are at home as you should be talking like a mom here.

The link you sent me was superficial, a tourist like surface view, yes lots of foreigners visit and live here without really "getting it". Sure we maintain a surface of OK, but I have been delivering meals to an older woman since March, we all are helping out. We take food and sustenance to outlying communities. We do not need or want tourists now. I give half my earnings now to friends here to survive. I am fortunate and know it, far from rich but have worked online 14 years so am all set up to do it.

I bet you are a nice person JB J. We most summers host actually tons of young students and ballet dancers and just wanderers worldwide. This summer none of that. Our ballet studios stand unoccupied and we are negotiating about rent. Its a crisis. Can you not just stay in Miami now - its decent enough - go to the Keys or somewhere... I will send you PM again - we of course love tourists. Not now.

5. Re: Is Guadalajara open?

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the Tripadvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 August 2020, 22:29

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
41 posts
6. Re: Is Guadalajara open?
Save

I appreciate your opinion but think that this is an egregious overreaction. No, I cannot stay in Miami--I need to get out. However, I am questioning whether it would be worth it considering that not everything is going to be open. It would really be helpful if you listed all of the top museums, churches, monuments, and other major tourist attractions and told me, one by one, whether they are open to visitors. Please, and I don't mean this in a confrontational way, don't try to discourage me from going if I want to go. I am healthy.

Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,965 posts
7. Re: Is Guadalajara open?
Save

wow are you stubborn. Museums are closed: https://www.milenio.com/cultura/arte/coronavirus-museos-cerrados-por-covid-19 You can look them all up online and call them up. Churches are open for congregants but not tourists to walk around, security personnel is not available so you will be shown the door. Culture is inactive until we get a vaccine or a cure for this deal. Sure you can show up and walk around but most of life is trying to keep us safe now from this pandemic. You can walk in our streets at 10 feet distance from me. Hidalgo monument is there as is Niños Heroes. We have major issues with crime because of Central Americans from Stephen Bannon´s dumb Caravan project arriving here. Its sure your decision to come or not but not a good time.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
41 posts
8. Re: Is Guadalajara open?
Save

We obviously don't see eye to eye on everything, but I LOVE to go to museums and churches so, you may get your way in the end. :) May have to stay in the good ol' US of A. Though it could get worse I suppose.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: Is Guadalajara open?
Save

He’s going to wear a mask. So it should be fine. Isn’t that the point of wearing masks???

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
41 posts
10. Re: Is Guadalajara open?
Save

I would have been perfectly fine with masks. But it's really a moot point inasmuch as I decided not to go. Hopefully everything will be open next fall so I can do some international traveling.

Reply to: Is Guadalajara open?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Guadalajara
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.