We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How early should we arrive at the SXM for an Int. flight

Mundelein,IL...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
1 helpful vote
How early should we arrive at the SXM for an Int. flight

It took two hours to go through customs and get our luggage when we arrived in SXM. They seem to be terribly disorganized. How early should we arrive at the SXM airport for an International flight to fly home?

7 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
20,755 posts
87 reviews
95 helpful votes
1. Re: How early should we arrive at the SXM for an Int. flight

@Shelley, we always allow 3 hours. From my reading on another forum, Traveltalkonline, departure is smoother than arrival, but you may want to take a sandwich along as lineups for the food venues could be long.

Pirate 🏴‍☠️

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St Martin / St Maarten
Level Contributor
5,936 posts
8 reviews
4 helpful votes
2. Re: How early should we arrive at the SXM for an Int. flight

3 hours is the standard for International travel. I would stick with that.

albany
Level Contributor
366 posts
11 reviews
15 helpful votes
3. Re: How early should we arrive at the SXM for an Int. flight

Last Janary we got to SXM three hours before our flight and sat there for an hour because no one from our airlines was there until two hours before. Still gave us plenty of time to relax, do a little gift shopping and time to eat and drink once we passed through all the official stuff. So I would say 2.5 hours just so you aren't last in line.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
20,755 posts
87 reviews
95 helpful votes
4. Re: How early should we arrive at the SXM for an Int. flight

I know that some people check the departures schedule first, and allow even longer if there are many flights departing within their time frame. Good luck, and please report back.

Pirate 🏴‍☠️

Sopot, Poland
Level Contributor
19 posts
129 reviews
267 helpful votes
5. Re: How early should we arrive at the SXM for an Int. flight

We got to the airport last November 3 hrs before our flight and we made it to our gate with 1/2 hr to spare. The airport was a zoo. When we first got in it looked like all one big line. Anyway we had to find the AA line. There were helpful people at the airport though. The AA line took over an hour. Then the Customs line took over an hour as well. They were just installing the electonic gates but they weren't working properly so they had to go back to manual. The airport was hot and stuffy and I felt sorry for the babies in strollers. Not sure if things are better now but plan for 3 hrs if flying internationally.

Cortland, New York
Level Contributor
4,825 posts
847 reviews
490 helpful votes
6. Re: How early should we arrive at the SXM for an Int. flight

We had the same scenario... arrived 3 hours early, got to gate with 30 minutes until boarding. In our case, there were major computer issues at the airport which stopped everything for a bit.

I would definitely suggest arriving 3 hours early, and if you get to your gate early, have a drink and do some people watching!!😉

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
131 posts
13 reviews
2 helpful votes
7. Re: How early should we arrive at the SXM for an Int. flight

Do the 3 hrs. Pro tip, do to Chez Gabriele and Adele or Ze best and get some croissants to go. Beats airport food for that last bit of succulent French pastry before leaving the island!

Reply to: How early should we arrive at the SXM for an Int. flight
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about St Martin / St Maarten
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.