We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water color in samana - turquoise?

Allentown, New...
10 posts
Water color in samana - turquoise?
Save

I am planning a trip with family that has never been to the Caribbean, and I’m thrilled to be able to show them the beautiful aqua/turquoise color of the water.

I know that Samana is technically on the Atlantic and I can’t tell from pictures - is the water in Samana turquoise, or is it darker? How does it compare to the water color on other Caribbean islands?

I LOVE the Samana landscape and lushness. Just hoping to find the water color I love as well!

Thanks!

7 replies to this topic
Cambridge, Canada
Level Contributor
882 posts
16 reviews
24 helpful votes
1. Re: Water color in samana - turquoise?
Save

Hopefully for you it will be. Some days in Las Terrenas for example depending on the weather or tide the water would be exactly what you are looking to see. Other days it might be rough and dark. So depending on what beach you go to and what the weather is like. Some beaches like Bonita where the surfers go it is mostly wavy.

I hope you family gets to see the perfect color of the ocean that it can often be.

Allentown, New...
10 posts
2. Re: Water color in samana - turquoise?
Save

Thank you! How does it compare, in color, to other Caribbean islands or to Punta Cana? From the pictures the water always seems a bit darker, but I’m hoping I’m wrong because the landscape is so incredible!

Sounds like it changes based on weather and tide… does it tend to be darker or lighter more that time of the year?

Cambridge, Canada
Level Contributor
882 posts
16 reviews
24 helpful votes
3. Re: Water color in samana - turquoise?
Save

I never compare. We are happy when we are on any beach. Punta Cana was our go to for years until we discovered Samana. Some of the best beaches like Roatan Honduras or Baby Beach Aruba we loved and the water in Roatan was crystal clear for snorkeling. But we still prefer Samana now. When the weather is dry like March, April May you will get calmer and prettier color. Also the days in May June etc the days are much longer so you get more sun in the morning and longer evenings too. I hope, if and when you go the weather shows you a beautiful blue ocean to see.

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
213 posts
31 reviews
18 helpful votes
4. Re: Water color in samana - turquoise?
Save

I also agree with Drewboy134 about the changing water colour of Samana depending on weather and beach.. We will be going back in February 2022 for 2 weeks for the 4th time to Bahia Principe Grand El Portillo. We also have been to Roatan and the water is crystal clear BUT we just love Samana and the town of Las Terrenas.

Happy Vacationing when you decide to go to that fabulous area.

Level Contributor
94 posts
7 reviews
15 helpful votes
5. Re: Water color in samana - turquoise?
Save

Its depends where you stay for example if you stay at Grand Bahia caycoa near the town of Samana, we found the water a little unclear but with scattered debris from the local town. the beach is also not deep and you may find it a tad crowded. however at Viva wynham near las terras, the beach there was very turquoise, great for long walks and nearly deserted in both ways for miles. It has become our go to place in place of Cuba. ( cant stand the food there.)..I hope the waters at BP El Portillo is just as nice and will be on our list of new stays in DR...We are checking out Puerto Plata in Nov as we continue to check out DR.

Cambridge, Canada
Level Contributor
882 posts
16 reviews
24 helpful votes
6. Re: Water color in samana - turquoise?
Save

Hi Adam. The beach at El Portillo can be very stunning on a good day. Very blue and calm sometimes. They use to even set up a bar in the water on a good day with chairs. A good time for sure. Also El Portillo had a big fire and was rebuilt much nicer than before. The pool area is a major upgrade. Keep it on your list. I think you will really enjoy it.

Allentown, New...
10 posts
7. Re: Water color in samana - turquoise?
Save

Thanks everyone for the replies! I'm still not sure what we'll do in the spring, but Samana is now definitely on the list of places I need to visit in the next couple of years! Thank you!

Reply to: Water color in samana - turquoise?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Samana Province
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.