We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self tour of coral beach? Snorkelling

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
166 posts
40 reviews
Self tour of coral beach? Snorkelling

Can you go to coral beach and Saturn cave on your own or do you need to book a tour? How much would a taxi cost to get there? Or would it just be cheaper to book a tour? We are staying at sanctuary grand memories. Or does anyone have any recommendations for snorkelling?

9 replies to this topic
Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
13,704 posts
14 reviews
1. Re: Self tour of coral beach? Snorkelling

1st trip? Buy the excursion once you get there. The main lobby of GM will have several tour reps set up at desks and selling the same packages. Have a look at the offerings and schedules and book to suit you. Booking from home means you guess whether the excursion will actually take place that day.

Have fun!

PEI
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
2. Re: Self tour of coral beach? Snorkelling

It is possible to do either or both on your own. You will drive by Saturno cave leaving the airport, before the highway. Playa Coral is pretty much 2 km north of there. They used to do a 1/2 day excursion from Varadero to both for 35(?) CUC. There were 2 different "sections" called Coral Beach. One is a public access beach with some amenities and also cold beer. The other, I have never been to, seems to be geared to tours only and with mandatory rules for participation. The reef is fair, access is easy and water is warmish. I don't believe there is an entrance fee at Saturno either. Try your taxi negotiation skills. I think you can do better than the excursion prices for a day at a different beach.

If you just want a quick look at the fishes, the Hobie Cat guy on your beach will run you out to an offshore reef for 20CUC. Say hi to Dory!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
166 posts
40 reviews
3. Re: Self tour of coral beach? Snorkelling

Thank you for the info. We enjoys tours specially to places we’ve never been and to learn some culture. But would rather do most on our own time/leisure. Been to Cuba a few times, done tours, just leisure now. And Kiki’s my favourite pizza place!

4. Re: Self tour of coral beach? Snorkelling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 November 2018, 08:53
Edited: 29 November 2018, 08:53

Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
110 posts
5. Re: Self tour of coral beach? Snorkelling

I found my own way there one day last year and went to the public beach. Next day I went back on my own to the commercial operation just up the road and went Scuba diving. Highly recommend both. Taxi charged us 20 to get there , but I'm sure we could have gotten a better deal. Took a bicycle rikshaw back to the highway from Playa Coral , cost 1 CUC. Then took a bus back to the hotel zone for another 1 CUC. Can PM you the details , and a couple of recommendations if you want.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
166 posts
40 reviews
6. Re: Self tour of coral beach? Snorkelling

Sounds great! Thanks

Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
110 posts
7. Re: Self tour of coral beach? Snorkelling

PM sent

1 post
8. Re: Self tour of coral beach? Snorkelling

Hello Gord, I'm so interested in this plan, could you please give me some more info?

Edited: 28 November 2018, 23:17
Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
110 posts
9. Re: Self tour of coral beach? Snorkelling

Kamran : PM sent.

Edited: 30 November 2018, 02:14
Reply to: Self tour of coral beach? Snorkelling
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Varadero