We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July in Zion with three kids

San Francsico, CA
Level Contributor
103 posts
10 reviews
July in Zion with three kids

We are two families with a seven, six and four year old traveling to Zion in late July. Our plan is one night in vegas (driving from LA) and then two nights camping in Zion (already have a reservation) and two nights in a vrbo. It sounds like it will be hot in July. If we hike in the am what can we do to stay cool during the day? I'm assuming it won't be super pleasant to sit around our camp until evening. And what city should we vrbo in? We were thinking st George so we could also do Bryce but maybe it's better to stay closer to Zion if there will still be a lot we want to do. Thanks!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
67,354 posts
250 reviews
1. Re: July in Zion with three kids

St George is the opposite direction from Zion to Bryce. But at this late date, it might be the best you can find.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
19,335 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: July in Zion with three kids

During the heat of day, consider the hike in the Narrows, or just hanging out by the river under some of the shade trees.Or take a drive to some of the higher elevations of the park, like Lava Point off Kolob Terrace Road.

You can look in Hurricane, Rockville, Virgin, Springdale to be closer to Zion than St George.

On the east side of the park are cabin rentals at Zion Ponderosa, and Zion Mountain Ranch.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
20,865 posts
41 reviews
3. Re: July in Zion with three kids

St. George isn't a good base for visiting Bryce. It's in the opposite direction by an hour.

San Francsico, CA
Level Contributor
103 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: July in Zion with three kids

I was completely confused about the st George location. Looks like we should either stay in Kanab or Springdale. There are still houses available to rent.

I would love to hike the narrows but not sure the four and five year old are old enough. It does sound like a lot to get to the start of the hike.

Thanks for the feedback.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
5,234 posts
33 reviews
5. Re: July in Zion with three kids

Look for houses in Springdale, as you'll be right next to the park. Kanab will require hour long commutes each way.

You can hike The Narrows as long as wanted. I've been to Zion before with families with kids ranging from 3-7 years old. We did short hikes like The Riverside Walk which leads into The Narrows. I see no reason why you couldn't at least walk up to Mystery Falls, unless the CFS is quite high. It's about .3 miles from the end of Riverside Walk.

We also walked Canyon Overlook, Emerald Pools, Weeping Rock, and Pa Rus Trail. We stayed for three nights and the kids were always engaged, playing in sand and water, having fun. I was probably the most antsy, becasue I wanted to hike more than we did.

You could also do drives to Kolob. Snow Canyon is a great place for kids to play in the sand dunes, but I would go early to avoid heat.

San Francsico, CA
Level Contributor
103 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: July in Zion with three kids

Thanks. That's very helpful

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
20,865 posts
41 reviews
7. Re: July in Zion with three kids

Kanab isn't a great base for Bryce. You'll have at least a 2 hour round trip commute.

utah
Level Contributor
3,419 posts
42 reviews
8. Re: July in Zion with three kids

Emerald pools is a great hike because there is a waterfall to walk through that lets you cool off.

Canyon overlook is a super, fun adventurous hike, but is only a mile long - it will be exposed and hot so plan for an early morning, evening hike. Riverside Walk is 2 miles on a flat trail and the prettiest part of the canyon. It's the start to Narrows and you can play in the river at the end of the trail. Weeping rock is steep but only a mile long and its kind of like take a showing is you go right up to the rock where the water seeps through. You can hang out at the river at Canyon Junction or along Pa'rus. The visitors center and museum are indoors.

As for camping in the heat, a bit of water is your friend. If it's too hot to sleep wetting your hair or t-shirt can make a huge difference.

9. Re: July in Zion with three kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2018, 12:17
Get answers to your questions about Zion National Park