We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SNP visitor centers and gift shops

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
86 posts
70 reviews
24 helpful votes
SNP visitor centers and gift shops
Save

We will be coming to Shenandoah National Park in mid-October and plan to spend a day on Skyline Drive, starting at the Front Royal Entrance and probably getting off at the Swift Run Gap Entrance.

Are there one or two Visitor Centers that would be better for a stop? Also, I've noticed there are several places to shop for souvenirs, gifts, etc. Are they all the same or is there one that is more stocked with possible gifts?

Thank you!

9 replies to this topic
Province of...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
31,543 posts
284 reviews
206 helpful votes
1. Re: SNP visitor centers and gift shops
Save

My personal favorite is Harry Byrd Visitors Center, and do stop at the Wayside Deli/ and the gift shop Which had oodles of postcards recently, a very short walk nearby.

I also recommend the Gift shop at Graves Mountain Lodge In nearby Syria/ White Oak Canyon.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
86 posts
70 reviews
24 helpful votes
2. Re: SNP visitor centers and gift shops
Save

Thank you so much for your response. I have noticed quite a few positive messages about the Harry Byrd Center. And postcards are always a good way to remember a favorite place!

Province of...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
31,543 posts
284 reviews
206 helpful votes
3. Re: SNP visitor centers and gift shops
Save

Hopefully the great exhibits at the Center Will be open. I had a great lunch at Wayside, very reasonable and I sat out at the picnic tables, I travel everywhere with a cooler, and can re-fill my water bottle which is great for the environment and my wallet.

Edited: 26 August 2021, 09:35
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
86 posts
70 reviews
24 helpful votes
4. Re: SNP visitor centers and gift shops
Save

Yes, we carry a cooler with us when traveling so stopping to get a quick lunch will be a huge help. I do want to make sure that you are talking about the Wayside Elkwallow?

Province of...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
31,543 posts
284 reviews
206 helpful votes
5. Re: SNP visitor centers and gift shops
Save

Wayside near Big Meadows right off Skyline drive .

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
86 posts
70 reviews
24 helpful votes
6. Re: SNP visitor centers and gift shops
Save

Glad I checked with you! I had both as possibilities. Thank you again!

Province of...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
31,543 posts
284 reviews
206 helpful votes
7. Re: SNP visitor centers and gift shops
Save

tipton68,

No problem at all, that is what we are here for. Where are you planning on staying whilst visiting SNP?

Kesh_grammy

Edited: 27 August 2021, 05:07
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
86 posts
70 reviews
24 helpful votes
8. Re: SNP visitor centers and gift shops
Save

We are staying at the Comfort Inn outside Woodstock. Woodstock is actually the reason we are coming to Virginia as I lived there from birth to age 7, many, many years ago. We have been back twice in the last 50 years (probably 35 years ago or so; when our children were young) and found my house but it was vacant both times. It was built in 1820 and I have such fond memories of our time there. I actually remember the layout of almost all the rooms and favorite times in each. Now the house is occupied so I'm hoping we can be invited in for a quick visit.

We will be staying for 2 nights and then moving on to other sites in the northeast for 8 days as part of our 50th anniversary celebration trip. Yes, the Shenandoah Valley has always been special to me.

Province of...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
31,543 posts
284 reviews
206 helpful votes
9. Re: SNP visitor centers and gift shops
Save

Tipton,

Thanks for the share, hope you will get a chance to visit your childhood home.

Kesh_grammy

Edited: 28 August 2021, 11:27
Reply to: SNP visitor centers and gift shops
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Shenandoah National...
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.