We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July Honeymoon

Chicago
Level Contributor
21 posts
July Honeymoon

I was hoping to get some insight on how to spend our time in the park. We plan on getting into the park area early on 7/8 (a Wednesday) and leaving on 7/11 in the morning to drive down the coast into Oregon. So three days, two nights. We will be coming from Seattle on Wednesday, July 8. Do we need to leave early to catch the ferry? Is the Ferry the best way to go? We enjoy hiking an don't mind longer hikes. I was thinking of spending one night in the Port Angeles area and two on the other side of the park maybe in the Forks area? We definitely want to the Hoh Rain forest and it looks like we'd be able to do a nice long hike there.

Any help on where to stay and what to do would really help. Any must-sees or must do hikes?

Thanks!

Sequim, Washington
Level Contributor
3,926 posts
92 reviews
1. Re: July Honeymoon

Three are three main ways to get to the Northern Olympic Pennisula. If you are staying south of Seattle or at SEATAC, I would suggest that you drive around through Tacoma and then North through Bremerton. If you are in downtown Seattle, take the Bainbridge Ferry. If you are staying to the North of Seattle, take the Edmonds-Kingston Ferry.

Ferries run frequently and you should have no difficulties.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,235 posts
53 reviews
2. Re: July Honeymoon

You only need to leave early to catch the ferry to spend as much time as possible in the park.

Visit www.kaleberg.com to get insight on desitinations you may wish to visit.

Starting in Port Angeles is a good decision. Moving west, Forks looks to be ideally suited on the map, it's just unfortunate Forks is there. This town has nothing to offer in the way of amenities, food service, or much else. There are, however, nice rental cabins and small resorts in the area, so look into that. Just don't expect anything from the town itself.

Hurricane Ridge - Hurricane Hill trail.

Hoh Rainforest - Hall of Mosses, Hoh River trail.

The Ocean beaches - Rialto, Ruby, Second, Third.

Too many others to list. Check out the park guides. Also check out www.visitonp.com for help in planning your excursion from around Port Angeles.

I have some not great news. When leaving the western part of the park to head to the Oregon coast, you will drive though some dull as dishwater terrain. The SW Washington beaches are as plain and monotonous and the NW Washington beaches are spectacular. Brace your self for a somewhat boring day of driving - culminating at Cape Disappointment. Then things start to perk up. Bring lively music for you trip.

Sequim, Washington
Level Contributor
3,926 posts
92 reviews
3. Re: July Honeymoon

Ray, you are missing that this trip is their honeymoon. Everything will look great at this time!!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,235 posts
53 reviews
4. Re: July Honeymoon

I didn't, but didn't want to be too presumptuous; however can think of plenty of diversions while driving a long, boring road.

Chicago
Level Contributor
21 posts
5. Re: July Honeymoon

So if forks stinks, is there anything else in the area in terms of good food?

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
11,833 posts
20 reviews
6. Re: July Honeymoon

Lake Quinault Lodge has good food and is a much better choice for a honeymoon than any place in Forks.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
11,772 posts
8 reviews
7. Re: July Honeymoon

Traveler has a good point. Are you starting your trip in Seattle or the airport. On Wednesday the ferries will not be that bad. Many people feel that taking a ferry is a worthwhile experience especially on a sunny day with the Olympic Mountains and Mt. Rainier in the distance and a great view of downtown Seattle.

I have to agree that Forks would not be toward the top of my list for places to spend part of my honeymoon. Just keep in mind that if you want to spend time in the Hoh Rainforest you are going to have to spend time driving back in forth from Port Angeles. And then head to South to the Lake Quinault and or the Oregon Coast.

Not only do a lot of people spend part of their honeymoon at Lake Quinault Lodge but it is a popular place for weddings.

A place I really like on the Oregon Coast is Ocean Haven near Yachats.

8. Re: July Honeymoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2016, 14:15
Get answers to your questions about Olympic National Park