We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Medical claims

Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Medical claims

What determines a pre-existing condition?

What if something happens after you book your trip but before you travel?

11 replies to this topic
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
505 posts
187 reviews
1. Re: Medical claims

If you are referring to travel insurance, the product disclosure statement for the insurance policy will detail what is classified as a pre-existing condition.

If something does happen before your trip, it will depend on the nature of that something whether it will affect your policy.

Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
2. Re: Medical claims

Thanks.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
12,323 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Medical claims

Presume this is for travel insurance.

Pre-existing means a condition or illness you have at the time of taking out the policy. So if you have developed something you did not have when booking your trip but before you’ve arranged cover; that is a pre-existing condition. Insurance covers you against things that may happen, not things that have already happened.

Always declare these conditions. It doesn’t mean they won’t provide cover. They may charge an additional amount.(I pay an extra £15 on my annual multi trip policy for having declared I have mild asthma). They may e clued that condition.

If you’ve developed something that will mean you can’t take your trip, no insurer is going to pay out on that. It’s why you should always arrange insurance when you’re booking your trip.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
98,734 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: Medical claims

Most Australian travel insurance policies have a list of pre-existing conditions that will be covered automatically without the need to declare them.

Before you buy any travel insurance, you have to sit down and read the policy carefully to see what is and is not covered, and whether the policy will meet your needs.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
7,101 posts
49 reviews
5. Re: Medical claims

"Pre-existing means a condition or illness you have at the time of taking out the policy. So if you have developed something you did not have when booking your trip but before you’ve arranged cover; that is a pre-existing condition. "

PLUS if you have something that you did not know you had prior to taking out the cover, that is also a pre-existing condition. Case in point, friend did a bowel screening test (freebie at age 60), no signs of anything just doing the suggested best practice and literallly the day after she took out trip insurance for her trip to Europe she got a phone call telling her she needed to see her GP and have further tests. Long story short, bowel cancer, surgery, cancelled trip, all good now but no insurance paid out even though she had no knowledge or symptoms of the cancer prior to taking out insurance.

Took the case as far as the Ombudsman without success.

So, either don't do any of those tests until after your trip or be prepared to either go on the trip and postpone your medical attention and potentially lose your life or suck up the financial consequences because travel insurance won't pay.

Edited: 11 May 2018, 15:46
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
12,323 posts
17 reviews
6. Re: Medical claims

That was really unfair PerthiteOz. I completely get it, if you’re undergoing investigation due to symptoms you’re experiencing that an insurer wouldnt cover that. However routine screening when neither you nor anyone else knows you have any condition, that is so unfair. Fro. Age 50 in the U.K. we get owel cancer screening kits sent to us every 3 years and it takes several weeks to get results. Then there is all the other screening we get as women as a preventative thing.

Certainly makes me think about my annual policy and booking trips when a screening test is in progress.......

Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
7. Re: Medical claims

Sorry I should have explained. Booked trip and insurance on the same day. Trip

Not being taken until 3 months later. If an illness happens prior to actual trip being taken BUT covered by insurance would this be classed as ‘pre existing?’

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
31,299 posts
77 reviews
8. Re: Medical claims

I think the responses so far have been clear.

What has been said so far is that if the new illness came out of the blue, with no prior inkling and no relevant tests or diagnoses pending, then it is not pre-existing. Basically, this is what insurance is for.

However, if there was any cause to suspect the existence of a problem or tests were underway, then it would be considered pre-existing.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
98,734 posts
17 reviews
9. Re: Medical claims

A pre-existing illness is one that existed before you paid for the policy.

Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
10. Re: Medical claims

That’s what I wanted clarified. If the condition occurs after you have paid the insurance but before your trip.

Thank you.

Reply to: Medical claims
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cambridge