We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which route is most scenic-north via La Villa or Sella Pass?

Colorado
Level Contributor
27 posts
19 reviews
14 helpful votes
Which route is most scenic-north via La Villa or Sella Pass?

We are driving from Venice to Salzburg and will spend the first night in Bressanone or Vipiteno (anyone have a suggestion regarding the two?) and would like to see the Dolomite mountains. Looking at a map I plan to travel north to Cortina d Ampezzo and then head west.

My question is whether we should go southwest over Sella Pass or northwest passing by La Villa. Is one more scenic than the other? I am accustomed to mountain driving so that is not a problem.

I appreciate any advice on my route selection and thank you in advance, Ken

2 replies to this topic
Yaxley, Suffolk
Level Contributor
608 posts
2 reviews
4 helpful votes
1. Re: Which route is most scenic-north via La Villa or Sella Pass?

Personally I would drive from Cortina to Arraba and then head towards Canazei and then join the Canazei to Selva rd and go over the Sella pass to Selva. Then I would drive through the Val gardena valley to the motorway at Ponte Gardena.

The drive over the Sella pass from Canazei to Selva is spectacular in my opinion. Also by doing this route you get to go over two more passes which are Passo Falzarego and Passo Pordoi

Vipiteno or Bressanone? Only been to Bressanone and can confirm it is a nice old town (in the centre at least).

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,168 posts
40 reviews
52 helpful votes
2. Re: Which route is most scenic-north via La Villa or Sella Pass?

Hi Ken,

I'm partial to the drive via Cortina d'Ampezzo, then west into and through the Alta Badia, then over the Gardena pass (our favorite pass to drive) into Val Gardena and onto Bressanone or Vipiteno. We like both old towns. Vipiteno is much smaller than Bressanone if that matters to you. One question... if you would like to see the Dolomites, why not stay "in" the Dolomites instead of a town like Bressanone or Vipiteno? Neither is in the Dolomites at all. I'd suggest staying the night in the Alta Badia or Val Gardena.

If Salzburg is your goal from Venice and you only have one night to spend between the two, it would make more sense (to me at least) to drive from Venice to Lienz, Austria and maybe overnight in Heiligenblut, Austria, at the beginning of the Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse. After 1 night in Heiligenblut, the next day drive the Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse, maybe visit Zell am See and continue on to Salzburg. To me this is more logical and direct, but it does leave out the Dolomites.

Paul

Reply to: Which route is most scenic-north via La Villa or Sella Pass?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Colfosco
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.