We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naoshima to Takayama to Alpine Route to Matsumodo

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Naoshima to Takayama to Alpine Route to Matsumodo

Hi everyone,

I am planning a trip to the Alpine Route. I would appreciate any advice on my itinerary :)

Day 1: Depart Naoshima for Takayama, overnight Takayama

Day 2: Shirakawago via Takayama, overnight Takayama

Day 3: Tateyama Alpine Route via Takayama, overnight Matsumoto (is it possible?)

Day 4: Kamikochi via Matsumoto, overnight Matsumoto

Day 5: Matsumoto back to Tokyo.

Should I consider a JR pass?

Thank you

11 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Naoshima to Takayama to Alpine Route to Matsumodo

It’s not a good idea to start the Alpine Route from Takayama as it is still more than 3 hrs by train with a transfer in Toyama to reach Tateyama. To cover the whole route in a day it is better to set aside a full day. Even if not staying the night before in Tateyama or Toyama the most is to spend the night in Kanazawa. Consider continuing from Shirakawa-go and spend the night in Kanazawa on day 2. It would be nice if an extra day can be allocated so that you can also tour Kanazawa before going on the Alpine Route.

Japan
Level Contributor
2,662 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Naoshima to Takayama to Alpine Route to Matsumodo

Your first day is also over six hours (closer to seven including the ferry - around Y15k), so while you are covering some big distances, your locations are very spread-out and designed for a slower pace/more time at the destination.

Should you get the rail pass, you have not given your schedule pre-Naoshima, but for what you are likely doing in 7 days - probably. If arriving/departing Tokyo within 14 days, probably.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Naoshima to Takayama to Alpine Route to Matsumodo

Thank you JapanCustomTour! Sorry for being so vague, I would be in Tokyo for 4 days and 3 nights for work before going to Naoshima and the Alps

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Naoshima to Takayama to Alpine Route to Matsumodo

Thank you William512. I will go through the itinerary again. I really do want to see Shirakawa-go, do the alpine route and see Kamikochi.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Naoshima to Takayama to Alpine Route to Matsumodo

Hi William512,

Would this be more feasible?

Day 1: Depart Naoshima for Takayama, overnight Takayama

Day 2: Cycle Hida Satoyama & Hirayu Onsen (maybe), overnight Takayama

Day 3: Shirakawago via Takayama, overnight Kanazawa

Day 4: Kanazawa

Day 5: Tateyama Alpine Route via Kanazawa, overnight Matsumoto

Day 6: Kamikochi via Matsumoto, overnight Matsumoto

Day 7: Matsumoto back to Tokyo.

Edited: 11 October 2017, 02:01
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Naoshima to Takayama to Alpine Route to Matsumodo

The latest plan looks fine, just be prepared for a long day travelling on the first day.

Not sure about the time of the year for the trip but I assume you are aware of the opening season of both the Alpine Route and Kamikochi – the Alpine Route from mid April to end of Nov and Kamikochi from mid April to mid Nov.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Naoshima to Takayama to Alpine Route to Matsumodo

Hi William521,

Yes I am aware of the opening seasons for both. I start on 3 Nov and leave 9 Nov for Tokyo.

Thank you very much for your help! :)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Naoshima to Takayama to Alpine Route to Matsumodo

Early Nov may not be a good time for the Alpine Route unless your sole aim is to see some snow. Season-wise late Oct to early Nov is good for a visit to Kurobe Gorge for autumn foliage. So if the Alpine Route is not a must consider going for Kurobe Gorge instead which can be done as a day trip from Kanazawa although spending a night in Unazuki Onsen would be ideal.

http://www.kurotetu.co.jp/en/

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Naoshima to Takayama to Alpine Route to Matsumodo

Yes, I am looking to see some snow. Would it be possible to see some at Kurobe Gorge?

I will probably fit Unazuki Onsen to overnight in Day 5 if I do give the Alpine Route a miss.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Naoshima to Takayama to Alpine Route to Matsumodo

Although a lot depends on the un-predictable weather I don’t think you can see snow in Kurobe Gorge during early Nov as it’s autumn foliage season there. We didn’t come upon any when we were there during the second week of Nov.

Going to Hirayu Onsen will you be taking in Shin Hotaka !? If yes, you can take the ropeway up the mt and there is a chance you may see snow up there during your time frame.

Reply to: Naoshima to Takayama to Alpine Route to Matsumodo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tateyama-machi