We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is best for beginner and intermediate skiing in Hakuba

Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
11 helpful votes
Where is best for beginner and intermediate skiing in Hakuba

Hi..

Planning to head to Hakuba on the 15th of Dec. Will be our first time there. Been twice to Niseko but thought of checking out Hakuba. Cannot decide where to base ourselves. Been looking at Tsugaike Kogen.. We also like good food. Looking for somewhere with good food and good place to ski. We are 2 adults and 2 young children ( 9 and 4 years old)

3 replies to this topic
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
374 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
1. Re: Where is best for beginner and intermediate skiing in Hakuba

Happo One is the most popular base area and will probably give you the most options in terms of amenities. The resort itself is the most popular one in the valley and is great for beginner and intermediate skiiers. Tsugaike is great for beginners, while Iwatake probably has the nicest views from the top.

Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
11 helpful votes
2. Re: Where is best for beginner and intermediate skiing in Hakuba

Hi Huy L,

Thank you so much for the info.. Or maybe I can base myself in Happo One and make a trip or 2 to Tsugaike

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kamikochi
Level Contributor
13,874 posts
3. Re: Where is best for beginner and intermediate skiing in Hakuba

Happo One is the largest and has the most accommodation options in all of the 10 Hakuba ski resorts. Problem if any is, compared to others, Happo One is geared more toward advanced (plus intermediate) skiers than toward beginners when they ride gondolas to reach a farther height. So, as you say, Tsugaike is suited far better for beginners, Imo.

Btw, forecast says Japan will have a mild winter back to back, so less snowfall is expected for the next ski season too. Even last mid-Jan this year, many of the pistes in Hakuba were partially open. And so, lots of base areas suitable for novice skiers were out, except ones in Hakuba Cortina Kokusai Ski Resort (located farthest north in Hakuba and next to Tsugaike). No one can predict rightly, as of now, how small/large snowfall will be, but if the situation remains the same as in the last season then I suggest you stay in Hakuba Cortina, a ski-in, ski-out ****hotel (Hotel Green Plaza) is right there. See:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/161165029@N03/52725362128/in/album-72177720306573684/

Hope I'm wrong, but I guess your timing is still a bit too tight for snowfall even for Cortina, your better bet being Jan 2024... Yes, that's me saying.

Reply to: Where is best for beginner and intermediate skiing in Hakuba
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hakuba-mura
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.