We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Bulgaria to the uk with a Bulgarian dog

Farnley Tyas...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
6 helpful votes
Driving from Bulgaria to the uk with a Bulgarian dog
Save

Hi everyone, my mother is planning on driving from Bulgaria to the uk (she is British with a passport) her dog is from Bulgaria, she has a pet passport and it’s had its rabies jabs. Can she simply drive here or does she need documentation for each country she passes through? I’m very worried for her as it’s a huge trip! She won’t fly because the dogs is terrified of the crate and can’t get him in it! We have tried everything to convince her to fly but she’s convinced driving will be fine. Can anyone give me any tips or advice that I can help her to plan??? Thanks so much!

6 replies to this topic
Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
6,900 posts
6 reviews
7 helpful votes
1. Re: Driving from Bulgaria to the uk with a Bulgarian dog
Save

She can drive using the pet passport, assuming the vaccination is up to date, through all EU and PETS countries - so provided she comes through Romania and Hungary, and doesn’t go into Serbia et , she will be fine. Then she needs to visit a vet between 24 and 120 hours before arrival in the Uk, to get the tapeworm pill (must contain praziquantel) and have this certified - time and date, maker and make, sign and stamp - in the tapeworm section of her PP.

London, United...
Level Contributor
288 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Driving from Bulgaria to the uk with a Bulgarian dog
Save

She could take the Serbia route, just make sure to get a local vet in Bulgaria to do an animal health check and stamp it into the pet passport no more than 10 days before the trip. Very unlikely she'd have to show paperwork at the Serbian border but good to get the check done for peace of mind just in case. Shouldn't cost much.

As advised above, the main thing to remember is to get the correct tapeworm tablet before entering the UK. If she plans to reach Eurotunnel less than 120 hours after leaving Bulgaria she can get the tapeworm tablet in Bulgaria, otherwise find a vet anywhere along The Route.

We drove with our dog to Bulgaria and beyond from the UK last year and I really wouldn't worry if the dog has an EU passport and rabies vaccines up to date.

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
6,900 posts
6 reviews
7 helpful votes
3. Re: Driving from Bulgaria to the uk with a Bulgarian dog
Save

You need a titre test to re-enter the EU from Serbia, done at least three months before travel. Without that she would be taking a huge risk. Yes, people report that checks on pets at the Serbia/EU border are very lax, but if you did get checked the whole trip could be wrecked.

London, United...
Level Contributor
288 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
4. Re: Driving from Bulgaria to the uk with a Bulgarian dog
Save

Yes apologies missed that point re titre test, I was thinking of Bosnia where you don't need it. Ian is right so maybe not worth the stress for your mother of potentially getting checked.

5. Re: Driving from Bulgaria to the uk with a Bulgarian dog

Tripadvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet Tripadvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

What are forum guidelines?

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
3,930 posts
27 reviews
28 helpful votes
6. Re: Driving from Bulgaria to the uk with a Bulgarian dog
Save

Surveys are not allowed on Trip Advisor so this will probably be deleted.

Reply to: Driving from Bulgaria to the uk with a Bulgarian dog
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.