We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a safe way to find a Travel Buddy? - Info Thread

Essex
Level Contributor
31,733 posts
69 reviews

There are many threads on both the Senior Travel and Solo Travel forums started by those seeking travel companions.

Whilst I do understand that it can be nice to have someone to share with, the Internet is not a very safe place for such a project, even TA is ultimately an unregulated site....

Not to mention that in reality, such threads are "solicitiations" and thus, technically not allowed on TA.

This seems to be a contentious view, to some, who feel that zapping such threads, or advising against is unfriendly.

As we are on the Senior Travel Forum, here, then I would hope that folk with the benefit of some age and wisdom, would see that this is not the case, and that other TA members just want to see you safe!

Here is a new thread I have made for the Solo Travel Forum, trying to explain and help. It contains links to other, more safely regulated websites for finding travel companions.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i12357-k73463…

Maybe on THIS forum, others can add links in this thread, to similar sites, more appropriate to the senior traveller, if they know of any?

I am not a TA Staffer, just an ordinary member like you!

I am interested in travel in many forms, but most of all, in travelling safely!!

So let's be careful out there, but have some fun,

Regards, EW

52 replies to this topic
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
21,786 posts
289 reviews
41. Re: Is there a safe way to find a Travel Buddy? - Info Thread

EW

Kudos to you for the thread & Thanks to TA Jane who pinned it...

Kesh_grammy

Nyack, New York
Level Contributor
2 posts
34 reviews
42. Re: Is there a safe way to find a Travel Buddy? - Info Thread

I am seeking a like minded travel buddy for a river cruise in Amsterdam during tulip time April 2018. I am a non smokinng, healthy sometimes "chatty" woman. I don't necessarily need to share a cabin, just don't want to be the only single on the cruise. I live in the NYC area

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,786 posts
289 reviews
43. Re: Is there a safe way to find a Travel Buddy? - Info Thread

grammydancer45 Post # 42...

Please read the excellent thread above Created by EssexWanderer 'How To Find a Travel Bu8ddy'

https:/…postreply

on 'How to Find a Travel Buddy'

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i13…

I will add...There is no way of knowing who or what is lurking on a "non monitored public forum" Sometimes, there are no second chances...

Kesh_grammy

Edited: 24 August 2017, 22:49
Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
11,530 posts
153 reviews
44. Re: Is there a safe way to find a Travel Buddy? - Info Thread

Thanks for that info and threads Kesh! And yes, thanks for this thread being pinned.

45. Re: Is there a safe way to find a Travel Buddy? - Info Thread

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2017, 09:01

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,786 posts
289 reviews
46. Re: Is there a safe way to find a Travel Buddy? - Info Thread

And Again..

May I suggest reading EssexWanderer's Great thread below.

https:/…87144846

I will add...There is no way of knowing who or what is lurking on a "non monitored public forum" Sometimes, there are no second chances...

Kesh_grammy

Edited: 25 October 2017, 07:01
Level Contributor
30 posts
47. Re: Is there a safe way to find a Travel Buddy? - Info Thread

"WOULD AN OVER 60 LADY LIKE TO TRAVEL TO ITALY...."

In answer to all of you who apparently have nothing else to do than butting into someone else's life, I'm an old lady but NOT A STUPID LADY!!! Evidently some of you reported my message so they removed it. I've done this before and never had any problem. But I've made you happy - they removed my message.

I DIDN'T SEE A SPACE TO ANSWER YOU ON YOUR THREAD (THEY PROBABLY CLOSED IT TOO). SO I HOPE YOU GET MY MESSAGE HERE. I DON'T REMEMBER YOUR NAMES EITHER....WHAT FOR???

48. Re: Is there a safe way to find a Travel Buddy? - Info Thread

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2018, 23:38

Level Contributor
30 posts
49. Re: Is there a safe way to find a Travel Buddy? - Info Thread

Thanks, I've already booked my Italy trip but will keep you in mind for any next trip I might take. :)

50. Re: Is there a safe way to find a Travel Buddy? - Info Thread

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

Removed on: 31 January 2018, 01:19

Reply to: Is there a safe way to find a Travel Buddy? - Info Thread
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions