We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a safe way to find a Travel Buddy? - Info Thread

Essex
Level Contributor
30,446 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Is there a safe way to find a Travel Buddy? - Info Thread

There are many threads on both the Senior Travel and Solo Travel forums started by those seeking travel companions.

Whilst I do understand that it can be nice to have someone to share with, the Internet is not a very safe place for such a project, even TA is ultimately an unregulated site....

Not to mention that in reality, such threads are "solicitiations" and thus, technically not allowed on TA.

This seems to be a contentious view, to some, who feel that zapping such threads, or advising against is unfriendly.

As we are on the Senior Travel Forum, here, then I would hope that folk with the benefit of some age and wisdom, would see that this is not the case, and that other TA members just want to see you safe!

Here is a new thread I have made for the Solo Travel Forum, trying to explain and help. It contains links to other, more safely regulated websites for finding travel companions.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i12357-k73463…

Maybe on THIS forum, others can add links in this thread, to similar sites, more appropriate to the senior traveller, if they know of any?

I am not a TA Staffer, just an ordinary member like you!

I am interested in travel in many forms, but most of all, in travelling safely!!

So let's be careful out there, but have some fun,

Regards, EW

50 replies to this topic
Essex
Level Contributor
30,446 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there a safe way to find a Travel Buddy? - Info Thread

Bumping this, due to the 2 most recent threads here....

Essex
Level Contributor
30,446 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there a safe way to find a Travel Buddy? - Info Thread

Ha ha!

No one else likes this thread but me!

Moosup, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there a safe way to find a Travel Buddy? - Info Thread

Oh, but I do like it. Have used the links in this and previous post. Seems like the safest way to travel solo is to go as part of a group. Here in the states there is a plethora of like minded individuals with common interests. Joining one of these organization who have frequent short and long term travels would seem much safer than trawling the net for a travel buddy. Your caveat for solo travel are timely and important. As is your other helpful advice.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there a safe way to find a Travel Buddy? - Info Thread

Have found zero satisfaction at any of them. Far too young (or trying to be). A lot of the solo places make no sense - they claim they cater to singles...then the places they direct you to are always the same - prices per person, based on double occupancy.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,691 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there a safe way to find a Travel Buddy? - Info Thread

Hi,

The way I found a travel buddy was by accident.

I was planning a solo trip to Venice and was asking questions on the Venice forum.

Another senior woman saw my questions and realized that she would be in Venice at the same time. Since I had been there once before she asked(in a private message) if we could meet while there and spend some time together. I told her what I was planning to do that day and she thought the itinerary sounded good and so we met and spent the day walking around together. By the end of the day we realized that we both liked to walk, see the ancient sites, museums etc. and we got along. She and I both had husbands who didn't like to travel and so we have now traveled together several times.

I would never plan a whole trip to spend with a stranger!! Even when I went with my sister for a week to Barcelona we had problems together and of course I've known my sister my whole life!!!

Moosup, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there a safe way to find a Travel Buddy? - Info Thread

Thanx Riff for sharing that positive experience. Cijay......What is "them"??

Essex
Level Contributor
30,446 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there a safe way to find a Travel Buddy? - Info Thread

Bump time...

8. Re: Is there a safe way to find a Travel Buddy? - Info Thread

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 September 2014, 04:47

Essex
Level Contributor
30,446 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there a safe way to find a Travel Buddy? - Info Thread

Recent threads suggest it is time to bump this one.....

Edited: 23 September 2014, 22:34
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
19,223 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is there a safe way to find a Travel Buddy? - Info Thread

@Essex Wanderer

Great idea!

Kesh grammy