We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trafalgar tours

Middlebury...
Level Contributor
94 posts
27 reviews
trafalgar tours

Has anyone taken a Trafalgar tour? Am doing resear/h that my TA doesn't seem to have time for. Looking for CA coast tour where one isnot confined to a bus for 4 to 5 hrs with only 2 15 min poddy breaks.

Customer service says that their tours stop once an hour or ecery 90 min.

Can anyone input on their tours and travel style? Thanks. Mel

201 replies to this topic
Los Angeles...
1 post
81. Re: trafalgar tours

Has anyone taken the European Dream tour? I am thinking of booking a trip in June with my husband and teenage boys. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brenda

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
25,213 posts
112 reviews
82. Re: trafalgar tours

Wow, that's a fast moving tour with not much time in Florence, Venice and Switzerland. When you look at tours remember 2 nights = 1 full day of sightseeing in a destination.

It also does not look like it has a component for kids?

You might consider looking at the Rick Steves Family tours. They are more $ than this Trafalgar tour but you are getting more nights and more sightseeing. They don't have *optional* sightseeing tours to get you to the important or interesting things in an area such as the Colosseum in Rome, the Accademia in Florence, etc.

https://www.ricksteves.com/tours/family-tours

I don't know how old your teens are but I also took my nephews on a Rick Steves tour that was not one of the family tours. They were not teens but were 20 and 25 but they had a wonderful time on the Heart of Italy tour.

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
83. Re: trafalgar tours

My wife and I just finished The Best of Germany and Austria tour. The tour itself could not have been better. The Tour Director, Amy Pomeroy, was THE BEST, very knowledgeable, great personality, and articulate. The Coach Driver was also fantastic. The coach was very nice and very clean but a little tight seating. They advertise "Hand picked 4 or 5 star". The hotels by American standards are really 3 star. A couple were 2 star and one a 4 star. Last year we did the Best of Italy with Trafalgar. Again the tour itself was great but hotels and food not as good as advertised. The tours were really great but because of the hotels will probably not travel with Trafalgar again.

Dunnellon, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
84. Re: trafalgar tours

My wife and I have taken 2 tours with Trafalgar The Best of Ireland and a 14 days circle of France. Both were excellent! The optional tours are a bit pricey but well worth going on. We are leaving on another Trafalgar tour...Scenic parks explorer 2016 in 3 days. Have a wonderful time on your tour...cheers!

Dunnellon, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
85. Re: trafalgar tours

Has anyone done the Trafalgar Scenic Parks Explorer? We could use any tips or experiences. Thanks.

London, Canada
1 post
86. Re: trafalgar tours

I would like to know how much leg room there is on the buses. Both my husband and are over 6 ft tall and 200 pounds

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
87. Re: trafalgar tours

I have just returned from "Splendours of Italy". Be careful with Trafalgar Tours they make every effort for you to "spend" more on the Optional extras which, in my opinion, most should have been included. Dinners were also not included in many instances and with the hotels being out of the cities became a mission to find somewhere to eat when only returning to the hotel at 7pm! (most of the hotels did not provide evening dining) It all adds up and makes it expensive when you are not budgeted for this! I also found the tours to be rushed getting up at 6am, breakfast at 7am and out at 8am. (red eye).

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
88. Re: trafalgar tours

Yes, we also found that the hotel chosen by Trafalgar were no way 4 star and in most instances were only 2 star ! the hotels were way out of the cities which I found quite awkward to arrange your own "sight seeing".

Level Contributor
14 posts
48 reviews
89. Re: trafalgar tours

Going with Trafalgar on their Bohemian highlights in September; wondering if anyone has been on this tour. What are your pros and cons of this tour.

Huntington Beach...
1 post
1 review
90. Re: trafalgar tours

Hi, Mel.

I took a Trafalgar tour of Italy last year and really liked it. One odd thing, though. Others in the group already knew each other because of online Trafalgar connections. Somehow I was not on the list, but I thought that was because it was not a 100% Trafalgar booking, as I'd booked my flights on my own.

This year, I am in an all Trafalgar trip and it appears they have an outside vendor managing tracking. I still don't know who else is on the trip or how to find them. And, most importantly, I do not have a list of my hotel addresses and phone numbers.

Also, the CheckMyTrip terms contract acts like a credit app, not in my favor, so I'm back trying to search for another path. That's how I stumbled across your message regarding California, from which I hail.

I think you need to demand more info from your travel agent or move on.

Amtrak is the train that runs across much (not all) of California. You can buy a two-week or a 30-day ticket to ride and get on and off the train at stations from north to south. As a train lover, I have to say, this is much better than being trapped on a bus.

Know, too, that there are hostels in the big California cities, so you can take time off for a very small cost by sleeping dorm-style, if budget is slowing you down.

If money is no object, you might try an Amtrak sleeper car for a journey all up and down the West Coast.

There is way too much here for one trip, so just relax and plan to return.

Hope that helps. California (north and south) is lovely any time of year.

Reply to: trafalgar tours
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions