We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trafalgar tours

Middlebury...
Level Contributor
94 posts
27 reviews
trafalgar tours

Has anyone taken a Trafalgar tour? Am doing resear/h that my TA doesn't seem to have time for. Looking for CA coast tour where one isnot confined to a bus for 4 to 5 hrs with only 2 15 min poddy breaks.

Customer service says that their tours stop once an hour or ecery 90 min.

Can anyone input on their tours and travel style? Thanks. Mel

201 replies to this topic
Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
27,615 posts
41. Re: trafalgar tours

Trafalgar are usually travellers in their late 40s up to fit and sprightly late 70s. That's my experience anyway.

Austin
Level Contributor
1 post
62 reviews
42. Re: trafalgar tours

I took one of their tours in the U.K. but it was almost 15 years ago. It was nice trip from London to Scotland, we made frequent stops along the way.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
43. Re: trafalgar tours

I have taken 3 Trafalgar tours in Europe and they have been excellent. I am hoping to take one in the US and see the National parks.

1 post
44. Re: trafalgar tours

I am traveling alone and want to know if they provide discount to single supplement

Gilbert, Arizona
Level Contributor
13 posts
390 reviews
45. Re: trafalgar tours

I just came back from a Trafalgar Tour. I would rate them at -5 if I could. They gave us inferior hotels to what they have listed and, worse, the hotels were far from downtown so we had to rely on taxis. With the dollar so high, they could have afforded to out us in superior hotels and they did the opposite. This was Prague, Vienna and Budapest. With April weather (rain, cold) it mattered even more.

Gilbert, Arizona
Level Contributor
13 posts
390 reviews
46. Re: trafalgar tours

Let me give you the bad news: Trafalgar can change hotels at will and all they have to say is "sorry". And they leave you in a hotel in the middle of nowhere for you to find your own transportation in a "leisure" trip. Very unprofessional. No communication, they forget about you as soon as they get your money.

Edited: 06 May 2015, 23:47
Portage, Indiana
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
47. Re: trafalgar tours

Just back from a 2 week Trafalgar "Highlights of Spain & Portugal" coach tour. We had 18 well-traveled friends along with us. Everyone was pleased with the itinerary on this trip. Our guide Philip was always pleasant, very knowledgeable and gave interesting commentaries about the cities and sites that we would go to each day. It was a first coach trip for most of us and we found to it be a very comfortable and carefree way to travel. We enjoyed each day. He took good care of us and I would recommend this tour highly. We hope to plan another Trafalgar trip in the future.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
6 posts
181 reviews
48. Re: trafalgar tours

In 2007, we took a 14 day "Best of Italy" tour from Trafalgar Tours, our 1st experience with touring by bus. Our guide then & I believe he is still with Trafalgar was Alberto Fratino. Alberto was very knowledgeable & friendly. We had a driver who could maneuver our bus second to none. The itinerary was followed, but flexible, when required.

Our accommodations were advertised to be 4 stars, but upon arrival, Alberto cautioned us not to expect the 4 stars standards we experience in North America, in European hotels. How true he was on a few hotels we stayed at! The choice of restaurants & local food we had were good.

Every morning, upon boarding the bus, Trafalgar Tours had each couple or person, change their seats, usually moving back 1 or 2 seats. This preclude people from from saving or rushing into the bus & monopolizing their favorite seats. This results in a more relaxed atmosphere. As this was our 1st bus/land tour, I'm not sure if this was routine practice or policy. We liked it.

The only negative we have to say, but understandable, is the early wake ups (6 - 6:30 AM) to have breakfast prior to the departure for the next destination.

In general, an excellent way to see lots of country & meet new friends!

49. Re: trafalgar tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 May 2015, 15:14

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
50. Re: trafalgar tours

Hubby and I went on a bus tour some years ago, our first, and yes, did pick up some valuable info. Yes, you will be getting up early. Thus, if your idea of "vacation" is sleeping in - DO NOT go on a bus tour. Yes, they have optional excursions that add to the price. Yes, this can backfire. I decided not to sign up for one - but that left hubs and I just twiddling our thumbs in the middle of nowhere while the rest of our group went up on some tram. Yes, the excursions can add a significant amount of $$ to the tour. Yes, you can tweak things. We got stuck spending an entire day in a place we were totally not interested in, while another couple, much wiser than us took a bus to another city and had a blast. They were back in time for dinner and listened to the rest of us complaining while they regaled us with their fun day.

Now older and somewhat wiser, we are planning to take a multi-country excursion next year to Europe. Both of us have health issues, so this will be our last go at Europe - and we want to take in as much as possible. I KNOW that taking a long tour will be grueling and I know that a lot of it will be spent on the bus traveling. I continue to research extensively. I have a table of all 4 companies offering the tour I want (Cosmos, Trafalgar, Globus & Insight), how much each costs, how many days we spend at each location, what excursions there are and how much they cost, etc., etc.

In other words, I would strongly advise that before you go, you research, spend time parked on the internet, make sure you know exactly what you're getting into, what alternatives there are, etc. This is a great place to pick up tips, I tend to use TripAdvisor a lot to check out the hotels the tours offer, what reviews there are of them, etc. Then go and have a great time! (Then come back and review here for the rest of us.)

Reply to: trafalgar tours
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions