We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newly widowed. Seasoned traveler, but never traveled alone.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
22 posts
13 reviews
Newly widowed. Seasoned traveler, but never traveled alone.

Sounds like a silly question, but how do I start to travel again without feeling out of place. Been to 40+ countries, but always with my wife; my travel companion. Like small groups; like adventure and active travel. Any specific thoughts appreciated.

141 replies to this topic
Normal, Illinois
Level Contributor
118 posts
203 reviews
121. Re: Newly widowed. Seasoned traveler, but never traveled alone.

Hey REID that is cool that you did the train pass jump on/off style. In 1988 I was with my sister on a 30 day rail pass in Europe and we often jumped off/ stored our bag/ took a small bag/ explored the town ( usually a small town- not a city!) got a snack and then decided if we wanted to get a room for the night or head to the station/.grab our bags/ grab the next train to ANY where. I would gladly repeat the experience even SOLO. So much fun!

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
2 reviews
122. Re: Newly widowed. Seasoned traveler, but never traveled alone.

Good for you, Reid. Sounds like you're doing it offseason which makes it easier to find accommodation at whatever level you can afford and in a central location. What country are you planning for in March?

3 posts
123. Re: Newly widowed. Seasoned traveler, but never traveled alone.

Thanks for asking. Actually, expanding the upcoming trip as this past one was so successful. Heading from Paris to Spain and Portugal first. Then Italy, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Belgium and then back to Paris. You're welcome to follow this past story and trip and the next one at my new blog, reidchampagne.com.

3 posts
124. Re: Newly widowed. Seasoned traveler, but never traveled alone.

Thanks for responding. You can follow these past exploits and future ones at my new blog "always and forever"at reidchampagne.com

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
2 reviews
125. Re: Newly widowed. Seasoned traveler, but never traveled alone.

Thanks for sharing the link, Reid. Have a great trip.

NORTH CAROLINA
Level Contributor
1 post
43 reviews
126. Re: Newly widowed. Seasoned traveler, but never traveled alone.

Widowed a year ago, 70, and interested in solo adventure/travel. Have been looking at OAT, Classic, Backroads and VBT, Country Walkers. Other comments or recs? Have done biking with Backroads and VBT as well as a recent VBT hiking as a solo

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
2 reviews
127. Re: Newly widowed. Seasoned traveler, but never traveled alone.

If you read through these 125+ posts you'll get lots of suggestions. One I like is Roadscholar, www.roadscholar.org.

128. Re: Newly widowed. Seasoned traveler, but never traveled alone.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2018, 00:32

Normal, Illinois
Level Contributor
118 posts
203 reviews
129. Re: Newly widowed. Seasoned traveler, but never traveled alone.

HI and best of luck planning solo adventures. you might want to try a combo > a day tour or 1-2 night tour and then a week or more solo. Consider taking an OATS or Rick Steves tour and then extend for a week or so as a solo

A tour- even a short one -gives you confidence AND an overview of what you might want to see+ do SOLO

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
3 posts
83 reviews
130. Re: Newly widowed. Seasoned traveler, but never traveled alone.

My husband died one year ago, so I know what your are going through. I was devastated at his death, but one thing that made me very sad was the thought "I will never travel again." Over time I realized that I could still travel and enjoy my life. In January I went to Iceland with a large group of friends, and this summer I am traveling to Ireland with a friend. Perhaps you could travel with close friends who also like to travel.

I am traveling to Ireland with Road Scholar on a small group tour. My husband and I always travelled independently, but I think now I will take more tours. Good luck to you.

Reply to: Newly widowed. Seasoned traveler, but never traveled alone.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions