We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gate1 Travel

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
139 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Gate1 Travel

My husband and I have taken several trips with both OATS and Grand Circle and have been quite happy with them. Have not encountered any of the problems that others have talked about on these forums. However, we were looking at Gate1 Travel for a trip. Has anyone used them or know anything about this company? Thanks in advance for any info you might have.

170 replies to this topic
Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,566 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gate1 Travel

It will be about the same as what you have already experienced I'm sorry to say.

Albuquerque
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gate1 Travel

We have taken two Gate1 tours and have had superb experiences with both trips (Russia: Moscow to St. Petersburg [2012]; and India/Nepal [2013]). Both trips are at the top of our lists in terms of quality of guides, food, lodging, and competitive cost. Both trips went off without a hitch, and we got more than our money's worth. Interestingly, most of the people on both of these tours had done multiple Gate1 tours, and they were happy travelers returning for additional trips with Gate1. We usually prefer to travel independently, but some areas of the world are difficult to visit on an independent basis, and in those cases, a group tour can be good. Based on our experience with Gate1, we would quickly recommended them again.

Edited: 26 March 2013, 05:32
Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
139 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gate1 Travel

Thanks!!! That sounds pretty positive. We've made other plans this year, but next year a good possibility.

Hoosick Falls, NY
Level Contributor
17 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gate1 Travel

A few years ago I saw a small ad for Gate1 Travel, and decided to book a trip to Peru. That trip was very good, and I have booked 7 other Gate1 trips since. Each trip has always been a very positive experience. The Gate 1 guides are very accomodating, knowledgeable, and just very pleasant people to travel with. I am always impressed with the value of our trip, and I wonder how they provide so much for a reasonable price.

The other excellent trips we have taken are Costa Rica, Spain, Turkey, Egypt, China, Ecuador, and The Danube river cruise. I have so much confidence with Gate 1, that they are my #1 choice for travel.

Olympia, Washington
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gate1 Travel

My wife and I recently completed the 10 day Venice, Florence and Rome tour by Gate1. It was absolutely perfect! Everything went exactly as scheduled and was very enjoyable. Our tour guide, Gabriela, was extremely knowledgeable and on top of any issues that came up during the tour. We took every optional tour offered and along with the scheduled tour visits, we saw everything expected on an initial visit to Italy. All of the additional tour guides were knowledgeable and very helpful. Understanding how different locations, sights, people and events interrelated with each other was very beneficial.

The breakfasts and dinners provided were quality events. Our group of about 25 folks gelled together real well and we had a lot of fun.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
5 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gate1 Travel

STAY AWAY! We are on a Gate 1 14-Day Danube River cruise. The hotel in Prague was great (Hotel Imperial), but Gate1 is disorganized. The river cruise portion has been a disaster these 1st 2 days. Again, poor organization by Gate1 people (groups for transports and excursions where changed and no notice provided, only by happenstance was our new assignment discovered). The ship is horrible (Sound of Music) - physical plant is adequate, service staff, thus far, has been sub-standard. Dinner last night had a cheese course, but no one knew about it as the wait staff didn't inform anyone and with 1 menu per table of 6-8 there is no time to peruse the menu and absorb all that is printed on the menu. Plates were cleared and coffee was to be served -- after 20 minutes of waiting (engaged in conversation so took some time to realize no coffee) finally got the attention of a waiter for another table who, after 5 more minutes, finally got our waiter to bring coffee -- should have passed -- totally undrinkable -- coal tar tastes better. Breakfast the next morning it was 5 minutes (yes, by then I was timing) AFTER I finished eating that a waiter got close enough to the table for me to get his attention to get my first cup of coffee. Returned from shore excursion to find my chargers (for computer, tablet, etc) had been unplugged by housekeeping so lost the afternoon waiting for everything to charge that should have charged while on the excursion.

Food is mediocre and we went grocery shopping onshore to have food to eat as runny eggs and cold food is most unappealing.

Hoosick Falls, NY
Level Contributor
17 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gate1 Travel

I was on The Sound of Music the second week of April, and my experience was excellent. The staff was excellent in the restaurant, lounge, and housekeeping. Either the staff has changed, or you are difficult to please. The coffee was very good. We had a perfect time on this boat.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
5 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gate1 Travel

Staff must have changed. Waiting 20 minutes for coffee and then having to get another waiter to assist is not, in my book, being difficult to please.

Newnan, Georgia
Level Contributor
5 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gate1 Travel

My wife and I have just returned from the Gate 1 Classic Baltic Capitals. We've previously taken 4 other tours with them. In our opinion, they are excellent in every regard. Customer service is very good. They bend over backwards to do what you want. We've changed 3 of the trips, for airlines, departure, or return. They accommodated us. Their selection of hotels is excellent. They are not luxury, but clean, comfortable, and most important, convenient to tne sightseeing. Meals are good. Guides are good to excellent. We will go again soon on one of their tours.

Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Level Contributor
1 post
141 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gate1 Travel

We just returned from an 11 day trip to Spain with Gate1. This was our first trip with them. We chose them over Grand Circle because of price being leery that it might not measure up to previously used tour companies. We were pleased in every respect. A great tour guide, good local guides at each location, comfortable accommodations, and wonderful meals in the locations they were provided. Booking the reservation was straight forward even though we booked the air with extra days before and after the group trip. We will be touring with them again

Reply to: Gate1 Travel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted