We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for travel insurance that delivers when you

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Recommendations for travel insurance that delivers when you

We're an active couple in our 60s with pre-existing medical conditions

We're looking for long stay travel insurance for 2019 for a trip to New Zealand followed by Thailand

We can get quotes for travel insurance from several companies, but when you drill down into the reviews the findings are quite alarming:

1) almost without exception the 5* reviews refer to the process of obtaining cover at a reasonable price

- typically: great price, but I haven't had to make a claim

2) pretty much all the 1* reviews are tales of travellers having difficulty with claims when something has gone wrong

- some of the stories are truly horrific and my perception is from all the reviews I've looked at that the travel insurance companies will try and wriggle out of paying any claims

I've looked at reviews for lots of travel insurance companies, but I haven't found one yet that I feel confident about

The true test of travel insurance is that it's there when you find yourself needing help

Can anyone recommend a travel insurance company where they've had good experience when making a claim

Thanks for reading and any advice greatly appreciated

Geoff

7 replies to this topic
Sheffield
Level Contributor
5,434 posts
152 reviews
1. Re: Recommendations for travel insurance that delivers when you

I suggest that you look at the moneysavingexpert website which reviews a wide range of travel insurance companies that suit specific needs. I have only made one claim from a travel insurance company - SAGA - which went well.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Recommendations for travel insurance that delivers when you

David,

Thanks for your suggestions, and here's what I've already done:

I've googled extensively and checked sites like MSE, Top10, BoughtByMany etc for their recommendations

Then before I've obtained quotes, I've looked at the reviews for the various travel insurance providers, and found most of them to be wanting in terms of claims handling and processing

I'm really looking for travellers' actual experiences in terms of claims / providing support when things go wrong and how well they rate the provider. In your case it seems that Saga came out pretty well - how did Saga compare in terms of cost ?

Thanks

Geoff

Canada
Level Contributor
10,550 posts
81 reviews
3. Re: Recommendations for travel insurance that delivers when you

<<<- some of the stories are truly horrific and my perception is from all the reviews I've looked at that the travel insurance companies will try and wriggle out of paying any claims>>> Does this really surprise you.? All insurance ( car, house , medical etc) are in the business of making $$$ and if they can avoid paying out anything that is a bonus for them.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
18,034 posts
106 reviews
4. Re: Recommendations for travel insurance that delivers when you

All travel insurance policies sold in the U.K. are obliged by law to provide a 14 day “cooling off” period after purchase, and a full copy of the policy terms, condition, exclusions and coverage etc.

This means that within 14 days of buying the policy, provided that you haven’t already commenced your trip or made a claim for the cancellation of a trip, you are entitled to a full refund of premium if you aren’t happy with the policy and/ or don’t agree to be bound by it.

All policies sold in the U.K. are also subject to the jurisdiction of the Financial Ombudsman Service in the event of a dispute arising about a claim.

Mathladyca49.... I imagine things are somewhat different in your country, but the U.K. has some of the most stringent consumer financial protection laws in the world.

Edited: 18 February 2018, 21:35
England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
35,099 posts
111 reviews
5. Re: Recommendations for travel insurance that delivers when you

I think the key to this is to be sure to read all the Terms & Conditions so that you know what you need to do in an emergency.

If it doesn't state that clearly phone them up and ask for specifics.

A lot of people complaining don't do this. They think that in an emergency that's good enough to just deal with it where they want, when they want and what they want.

There are conditions about having your insurance certificate and number, getting in touch immediately there is a problem, going to an approved medical facility (which I believe they tell you when you ring at the time) and keeping all documents and receipts from the treatment.

A real emergency is confusing and frightening. You need to know exactly what you should do. I tend to have it typed on a small piece of card with the phone number and insurance number so that it's not so daunting in a crisis.

If I'm wrong I'm sure Mondial will put me to rights.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
18,034 posts
106 reviews
6. Re: Recommendations for travel insurance that delivers when you

Toops, you are perfectly correct.

Some U.K. Underwritten policies require a policyholder to contact the medical emergency service for approval of medical expenses IF the policyholder thinks they may exceed a particular sum, usually in the region of £500 or so, either as an outpatient or an in-patient.

Others work, for relatively minor out-patent costs on a P&C ( pay and claim when you get home) basis.

Virtually all the policies I dealt with in a professional capacity in the 30 years before I retired, and believe me, in that time I’ve read thousands of policy documents, required that the Insurers’ Emergency Service should be contacted ( either immediately , or within 24 hours) if a policyholder is admitted as an in-patient at any hospital anywhere.

Over the years I’ve dealt with claims arising in Albania to Zimbabwe, and just about everwhere else In between in the alphabet.

Mon’s top tips are ..

1/ Read the policy wording... Yes, I know it’s in what people call “ small print”, but the “ How To Make A Claim” Section is in exactly the same Font and style as the terms and conditions, so don’t say you weren’t warned about policy terms and conditions if you only bothered to read the “ How To Make A Claim” bit.

2/ Make a copy of your Schedule or Certificate of Insurance, which shows the name of the Insurance Company, the names of the Insured Persons, the dates of cover, and , most importantly, the contact details of the nominated Medical Emergency Service for your policy. Take a copy of the information with you, and leave copies at home with family or trusted friends in case of medical problems arising where you might not be able to find your cover details immediately but can still contact family and friends by phone.

Any contract of insurance for anything, Travel, Household, Car, Mobile phone, etc, places rights, obligations, and responsibilities upon both parties to the contract.

The more knowledge the insured person has about what they have actually bought, and what their rights and responsibilities are under the contract, the more likely they will have a successful outcome if they actually need to claim under the policy contract they entered into.

I know it’s boring, and I know it’s a chore when all you want to think about is a great holiday, but it’s a care you owe to yourself and to others who care about YOU, to be sure of how your travel insurance policy works.

I hope this helps.

Mon

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1 post
65 reviews
7. Re: Recommendations for travel insurance that delivers when you

Hi,

I'd recommend you go for the big insurance companies such as Allianz, Axa and so on. I'd spend a tad more myself and be sure I'd get immediate support rather than sit there and wait for too long.

Hope this helps

Reply to: Recommendations for travel insurance that delivers when you
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions