We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

50th Anniversary Ideas? (Multi-generational)

Hometown
Level Contributor
54 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
50th Anniversary Ideas? (Multi-generational)

Hi Everyone! I'm so lucky to have amazing parents who will have been married 50 years in July! We are so excited to do something super memorable for them, but we're struggling with ideas. My parents would prefer to do something as a family vs. being gifted a trip just for them. We've all been fortunate enough to have done a lot of fun trips (not usually together though), so coming up with one that is memorable with so many different ages/budgets/etc is super challenging! If you have any ideas, we would be *so* grateful. :) I'm willing and able to make all arrangements, I just need some direction! I know you all aren't travel agents, but hopefully some of you have done or have ideas for memorable, multi-generational family trips. Here are a few details:

14 people, wide age range (ages 6 months, 8, 11, and 20s on up to mid-70s)

Limited time-off/budgets for some (1 in college, 2 newlywed, 1 w/ new baby)

Origination point would be from the Pacific Northwest

Trip will be early July this year

Everyone is active and in good health (Lots to be thankful for!) :)

Prefer warm to cold climate

Prefer activities such as lakes, walks, water parks?, etc to museums, restaurants, shopping

Parents aren't rustic cabin or camping type. Doesn't have to be resort, but nice house, VRBO, etc

Parents would love to cruise, but one person wouldn't go and I'm afraid too much $$ for the 20s

I know that's a lot of info, but after reading all of the other previous 50th anniversary trip posts, I realized the more info the poster gave, the easier it was for people to respond. :)

Thanks in advance!! Love my TripAdvisor community!

3 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,920 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 50th Anniversary Ideas? (Multi-generational)

A couple summers ago, we were visiting a dude ranch in Colorado and met a multigenerational family group. They were having a blast. There are a wide range of dude ranches from "basic" to "luxury" and not only in Colorado, of course.

A tourist town like Durango, CO would also be an idea; there are a wide range of accommodations and a lot of nearby activities from the famous Durango to Silverton narrow gauge RR, to float trips on the river, to hiking, to scenic drives.

Or Idaho...Coeur d'Alene, Sandpoint, etc.

Edited: 12 January 2018, 22:56
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,495 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 50th Anniversary Ideas? (Multi-generational)

How many days?

It might be too similar to your environment, but what about British Columbia? It offers a load of options but might be accessible for those on a limited budget/time. Your $ also goes further.

Okanagan Valley is nice, or boat house on Shushwap Lake, but may be hotter than you like. Rocky Mountains, or north of Kamloops into cattle country.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,542 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 50th Anniversary Ideas? (Multi-generational)

I was thinking of maybe renting one of the big houses at Fort Worden near Port Townsend or at Fort Casey on Whidbey Island. You could also consider a Summer Rental at Whistler as that gives everybody lots of options of things to do without going too far afield

Reply to: 50th Anniversary Ideas? (Multi-generational)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted