We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancer - Can I get any of travel insurance - Pre-existing

Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cancer - Can I get any of travel insurance - Pre-existing

Hello, I tried to research this issue but couldn't find a recent thread to help. My husband has terminal cancer but feeling great right now. The immunotherapy is slowing it down. We want to travel to Ireland in May, 2018. We have a window of 14 days between treatments. He has had no serious reaction to the drug in over a year.

We need medical insurance that would cover something like a severe reaction to his bi-weekly injection if he needed to be hospitalized for the reaction. Don't really care about trip insurance (flights, hotel, tours pre-paid) but that would be nice.

Has anyone had to deal with this and could recommend a few companies or give me some insight into what I might expect trying to find insurance. Big Thanks!!

9 replies to this topic
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,457 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancer - Can I get any of travel insurance - Pre-existing

If you live in US look at GeoBlue single trip https:/…voyager-essential-single.cfm

Best wishes for your trip!

Edited: 09 January 2018, 08:58
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancer - Can I get any of travel insurance - Pre-existing

Thank you so much! We are in the US. I appreciate your help.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,457 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancer - Can I get any of travel insurance - Pre-existing

Hope you find what you need! Take care.

Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancer - Can I get any of travel insurance - Pre-existing

Hello, everyone,

Just to let you know and hopefully help someone else with this question. I spoke with GeoBlue insurance. They will insure us with medical/evacuation insurance as long as we buy 10 days before the trip. None of the exclusions say the big "C" word! The cost is much less than I thought, $176.16 for both of us with 0 deductible and up to 1 million in coverage. Thank you everyone. I will continue to look for trip cancellation insurance so if you have any recommendations that would be great. The medical was the big one. Again, thank you SOmuch.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,457 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cancer - Can I get any of travel insurance - Pre-existing

That is great news!!!! Thanks for letting us know.

For cancellation, look at each of your credit cards' benefits. Some offer cancellation and interruption automatically for stuff purchased with the card. Call them if you cannot find the benefits brochure online or in your files.

We tend not to book packages...air, hotel, sightseeing all separately. Hotels often only tequire a deposit. Air tickets tend to have some value even after change fees. But those packagages one pays up front for and they may not refund. Something to think about.

Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Cancer - Can I get any of travel insurance - Pre-existing

Hello,

We plan to travel without a pre-paid tour. Just book our flights and secure B&B in our hub cities. We will not rent a car rather use the train and buses as necessary and take day trips out of our 3-4 hubs.

We normally use an AMX when we travel so I will double check the trip insurance policy and let you know. Will also check the airline policy for major medical issues that would prevent travel. The ONLY reason we would not go is that the doctors say "no way." Thank again for all of your help!!!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,457 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cancer - Can I get any of travel insurance - Pre-existing

You are more than welcome!

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
20,096 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cancer - Can I get any of travel insurance - Pre-existing

There is a website with affirm recommended by Chris Elliott who writes a travel column and deals with passengers with problems. This company represents multiple travel insurance companies so it gives you a good group of companies to deal with

https://www.squaremouth.com/100…

Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Cancer - Can I get any of travel insurance - Pre-existing

Thank you so much. I will definitely check it out! Joan

Reply to: Cancer - Can I get any of travel insurance - Pre-existing
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions